BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

03-30-2012, 10:47 PM   #1
bennysM6
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M6

M6 warranty running out! any ideas what to have checked on my next service appt?

My 2008 M6 with 22,000miles warranty is running out in two weeks. I have an appointment next week to do a routine check up. Should i ask them to check on anything specific since the warranty is running out? Anyone having major problems with their M6, i should keep on eye out on? Also whats everyone's take on getting the extended warranty? is it worth if for the extra 2 years.. specially that i only have 22k miles? Also any ideas how much it costs?

Thank you
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2012, 04:30 AM   #2
VGM6
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: F86 X6M & E63 M6

Get them to check on your power steering fluid. People have been running in to problems with the power steering where around 25-30k miles they start to hear a whining noise and vibrations from the steering when its cold start. Even if you don't hear it have them take a look at the fluid under the hood its the black cap that has gear like notches. It sometimes gets contaminated and the repair costs for something like that not under warranty is $8000 and a pain in the ass to repair since the parts are always back ordered 2-3 weeks.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2012, 04:35 PM   #3
bennysM6
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M6

@VGM6 - Thanks alot! I do actually hear the grinding in the steering when its cold start, however had no idea it was the steering fluid, rather i thought it has to do with the axle. I told them about it at the service center but i couldn't replicate it and when they checked on the axle, they found nothing wrong. I will point out that its the steering wheel fluid this time! Thank you, i really appreciate it!
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2012, 01:46 PM   #4
VGM6
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: F86 X6M & E63 M6

ya no problem. I had my dealer keep the car overnight and start it at complete cold replicated the noise exactly then they opened the hood checked the fluid and found it to be contaminated. Sadly a few people have had this problem and someone on m5boards m6 had been crashed and totalled because the power steering failed 3 times due to this issue. Good Luck
Appreciate 0