BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

03-01-2013, 04:03 PM   #23
V8
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F13 M6 Coupe

I've got the same squealing, so damn loud. Really, really embarrassing - I almost dread stop signs...
I've also tried slamming on the breaks and major brake pumping to get around this. nothing works.

Also if it was an issue then why does the noise just come from one brake? If it was a 'feature' all would be affected.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2013, 07:34 PM   #24
Hunter5179
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M6 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 View Post
I've got the same squealing, so damn loud. Really, really embarrassing - I almost dread stop signs...
I've also tried slamming on the breaks and major brake pumping to get around this. nothing works.

Also if it was an issue then why does the noise just come from one brake? If it was a 'feature' all would be affected.
Yeah, mine is only from the front left.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2013, 08:26 PM   #25
RelaxeDriver
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M6 Coupe / SM Blue

Mine are doing it too. It's extremely embarrassing as people look around in cars near you thinking that a heap of junk has pulled up but see a brand new BMW.

The dealer cleaned mine but it hasn't helped.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2013, 07:57 AM   #26
jettie1767
Captain
Rep
Drives: '23 BMW i7 xdrive60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RelaxeDriver View Post
Mine are doing it too. It's extremely embarrassing as people look around in cars near you thinking that a heap of junk has pulled up but see a brand new BMW.

The dealer cleaned mine but it hasn't helped.
LOL! Exactly my sentiments. I got BMW USA to replace the rotors and pads. Car is going in tomorrow to have it done.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 03:33 PM   #27
jettie1767
Captain
Rep

Garage List
I have temporary relief....all four rotors, brake pads and sensors were replaced.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 06:55 PM   #28
RelaxeDriver
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jettie1767 View Post
I have temporary relief....all four rotors, brake pads and sensors were replaced.
Nice. I've noticed for me since the temperatures here have climbed a bit mine aren't squealing so bad.

I enquired about a new M6 at my dealer with carbon ceramic brakes and apparently they're far worse for squealing.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2013, 07:14 PM   #29
RelaxeDriver
United Kingdom
Rep

Here's a video of my M6 coming to a normal stop.

I didn't know how to embed the video here.
Appreciate 1
      03-20-2013, 05:00 PM   #30
Hunter5179
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jettie1767 View Post
How are your brake's going? Did the issue return? Mine drive me nuts.

Last edited by Hunter5179; 03-20-2013 at 10:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 07:30 PM   #31
jettie1767
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter5179 View Post
How are your breaks going? Did the issue return? Mine drive me nuts.
Completely quiet now. But who knows, it might be back after another 7k miles. Fingers crossed.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2013, 11:41 AM   #32
Stonehands
Private First Class
Rep

Brake harder, don't feather, wait til it gets warmer....How about I don't brake until I find someone with a beater and pull up next to or behind them. Yeh, that sounds good. I think I will do that.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2013, 07:03 PM   #33
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Are you guys bedding the brakes in? Squealing is perfectly normal for high performance brakes if not conditioned correctly.

Bedding in procedure link
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2013, 09:01 PM   #34
Stonehands
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
Are you guys bedding the brakes in? Squealing is perfectly normal for high performance brakes if not conditioned correctly.

Bedding in procedure link
Then why have I not had to do this with any other car? The article was fascinating. He describes the procedure for both standard and high performance brakes. I have had both types of vehicles. I have never heard of this procedure nor have I ever had this problem with either high performance or standard vehicles. I did not even hear about this at the M performance school. We just kept having to cool the breaks after each training segment. Would BMW not have thought this through? I am sure not every buyer would have your level of knowledge and experience. Just some annoying thoughts and playing devil's advocate. I am considering trying the procedure after some more research. The squealing is becoming ridiculous. Thanks for the suggestion.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 06:02 AM   #35
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonehands View Post
Then why have I not had to do this with any other car? The article was fascinating. He describes the procedure for both standard and high performance brakes. I have had both types of vehicles. I have never heard of this procedure nor have I ever had this problem with either high performance or standard vehicles. I did not even hear about this at the M performance school. We just kept having to cool the breaks after each training segment. Would BMW not have thought this through? I am sure not every buyer would have your level of knowledge and experience. Just some annoying thoughts and playing devil's advocate. I am considering trying the procedure after some more research. The squealing is becoming ridiculous. Thanks for the suggestion.
Bedding in is not a procedure many vehicles need, but the M5/6 is a big heavy car, and is fitted with a very powerful braking system, both in physical size, and I suspect disc and pad material.
This makes them very vulnerable to glazing, as in normal street driving you are using probably less than 10% of their potential.

As an aside, soft braking, cleaning off the friction material from the disc and glazing the pads is one common problem with street cars, the other is braking hard and keeping the pads in contact with the hot disc. This second problem can in extreme cases warp the rotor locally as the pad stops the disc cooling evenly, or can deposit a pad imprint on the disc locally, which gives the sensation of a warped disc under braking (brake pedal judder). This deposit can often be eliminated by by the bedding in procedure.

I would recommend trying the technique in the video....no harm in trying.

If you are nervous about the smoking brakes like in the video, IMO you don't have to do carry out quite so many repetitions as suggested. I normally do abut 4-5 hard stops from 60-70. Most importantly, DO NOT COME TO A STANDSTILL

Repeat this excercise whenever you feel the brakes lose some bite, or every couple of months and you are good to go.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 12:03 PM   #36
Stonehands
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
Bedding in is not a procedure many vehicles need, but the M5/6 is a big heavy car, and is fitted with a very powerful braking system, both in physical size, and I suspect disc and pad material.
This makes them very vulnerable to glazing, as in normal street driving you are using probably less than 10% of their potential.

As an aside, soft braking, cleaning off the friction material from the disc and glazing the pads is one common problem with street cars, the other is braking hard and keeping the pads in contact with the hot disc. This second problem can in extreme cases warp the rotor locally as the pad stops the disc cooling evenly, or can deposit a pad imprint on the disc locally, which gives the sensation of a warped disc under braking (brake pedal judder). This deposit can often be eliminated by by the bedding in procedure.

I would recommend trying the technique in the video....no harm in trying.

If you are nervous about the smoking brakes like in the video, IMO you don't have to do carry out quite so many repetitions as suggested. I normally do abut 4-5 hard stops from 60-70. Most importantly, DO NOT COME TO A STANDSTILL

Repeat this excercise whenever you feel the brakes lose some bite, or every couple of months and you are good to go.
Sounds like good advice. Its technically sound. I have tried a less aggressive version already and the squeal is gone. I feel more comfortable proceeding with a full procedure. Thank you for the help!
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 01:35 PM   #37
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonehands View Post
Sounds like good advice. Its technically sound. I have tried a less aggressive version already and the squeal is gone. I feel more comfortable proceeding with a full procedure. Thank you for the help!
Glad to have been of help, squealing brakes are irritating.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2013, 09:39 AM   #38
Stonehands
Private First Class
Rep

Squealing gone. It worked. Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2013, 03:55 PM   #39
Roy46
Rep
Drives: M6 Convertible

I tried it this afternoon and there was coming a lot of smoke from the front brakes, would be nice to do it with a GoPro on the front fender or so...
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 11:56 PM   #40
dan99
Captain
Rep
Drives: 01' 330xi / 15' M235i

high performance Porsche do the same thing at least that's what I hear from testimonials... I think it's one of the drawbacks of having high performing braking system...

I frequently replace brake pads and rotors and the bed in procedure is a must, so I would suggest giving that a try. Before the bed-in process the car would sequel like crazy esp when slowing to a stop.

This is the link that I use:
http://www.zeckhausen.com/bedding_in_brakes.htm

Last edited by dan99; 04-25-2013 at 12:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2013, 06:01 PM   #41
Bludworth
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5

I think a class action path should be pursued. The failure of BMW NA to address this is outrageous. I had a very frustrating call with a supervisor in "customer relations" this afternoon.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2013, 03:32 PM   #42
Freak68
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M6/ Silverstone

2014 M6 Coupe Competition Pkg; Ceramic Brakes

Had car less than a month. In Los Angeles, never cold. Brakes squeak all the time. Is very embarrassing when I go to work as I have to stop at security gate every morning! I'm taking car in soon for 1200 mile break in service. Hope there is a fix....
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2013, 01:38 AM   #43
PhantomCypher
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Ferrari FF, Hellcat, Maserati

Just took in the car at 4500 miles for squealing brakes at low speed. Never had a problem till I moved to LA...Dealer says they'll replace the brake pads, but they're backordered for 3 weeks....

I'm going to try this bedding procedure when I get the car back tomorrow.
      11-20-2013, 05:06 AM   #44
gmd2003
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 CP M6 and 2006 VT 525 Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by jettie1767
I got the same response from the dealer again today. They said BMW engineers told them that it is normal for high performance brakes to squeal and for me to brake harder. So, I told the dealer, if this is your response, you just lost a customer. As soon as I said that, I get a call from the dealer telling me they will escalate and to have new brakes ordered but it has to be approved by BMW USA. I told them, do what you have to do because I will not take 'it is normal' for an answer. I said, if this is normal, you should document it in the owner's manual and also add it to the Monroney sticker so that an unsuspecting buyer will know beforehand to expect squealing brakes before plunking down $126k for a car.

A few minutes later, dealer calls again and tells me BMW USA approved the request to order a new set of brakes. Total cost is about $5k. If they know how to treat their customers right, $5k is chump change.
I'm sorry but it is normal for high performance floating rotors with an aggressive pad to make noise . All you have to do is change out the pads to a less aggressive compound . You are being very unreasonable . We as customers have complained to BMW to put more capable brakes / pads on the M5/6 over the last generation and when they do people complain a bout them making noise which IS normal for any high performance rotor /pad combo . Like I said change out the pads to a less aggressive compound and put high temp anti sqeel compound on the backing plates of the pads .
Appreciate 0