BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

05-10-2023, 07:30 AM   #1
tliartis
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 X4M Competition

water in front passenger side foot well

All

After having a car parked outside in a rain storm I noticed a pretty wet spot in my carpet. See the circle in the picture of where it was. Any ideas on what could be causing this?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-10-2023, 08:47 AM   #2
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

You don't say what car you have, but more than likely a drain is plugged. You can search in the forum for similar terms because this issue comes up now and then. Could be a drain near the firewall below the windhshield or a sunroof drain.
Appreciate 1
      05-10-2023, 08:50 AM   #3
tliartis
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 X4M Competition

Sorry. 2015 650i Gran Coupe if anyone has any similar experiences. Is it some that is easy to do to get to and clean the drains?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2023, 12:13 AM   #4
arucano
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 Grand Coupe CP

Garage List
2014 BMW M6 GC  [10.00]
If you have a sun roof, it is likely a plugged drain from the roof. You can open the sunroof and use a "weed wacker" line to gently clear the drain. Be careful about using air pressure to blow it out, since you can blow off the rubber hose going from the sunroof to the drain point. Check under the car for drains and clean them out. (I don't have a sunroof on the M6 so I cant go check the exact drain point below the car)
Besides that, it can be the drain from the AC evaporator that is plugged.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2023, 06:33 AM   #5
scubachris
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw f13 640d

hi.the most likely reason you have water in your passenger footwell is due to the common issue with the "yellow grommet".google bmw yellow grommet water leak.
at the factory bw make a tennis ball size hole through the firewall for the steering column,as the car can be left or right hand drive they put a hole through both sides of the firewall and whichever hole doesent get a steering column through it gets a yellow grommet..all the rainwater goes past this gromet behind a cover in the engine bay,unfortunately so does moss leaves ect and these rot the yellow rubber grommet,which lets rainwater into your car on the passenger side just below the glove box..
there are loads of threads about it on here.it affects 5..6..7 series and others between 2011 and 2018.
the new yellow grommet is approx £20 uk..and to replace and clean aperture takes about an hour.
you need to pull down the carpet below the glove box and you will see 3 clips that hold the grommet in place,,the grommet can only be removed from the engine bay at the side of the engine..its a medium diy job..lots of people on here think this should be periodical maintenance anyway.
i have had 3 x 640d and all 3 suffered from this..i got 4 litres of water out of one of them..the footwell carpet had moulded foam on the back 2 inches thick with channels in it,,if its bad your rear passenger footwell carpet will be wet too..
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2023, 12:13 AM   #6
arucano
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 Grand Coupe CP

Garage List
2014 BMW M6 GC  [10.00]
AFAIK we don't have the "yellow" grommet here in the US versions
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2023, 06:32 AM   #7
Luftpost
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 650 GC, E39’s, X70, X1

The grommet is for RH drive vehicles only.

L
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2023, 08:48 AM   #8
scubachris
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw f13 640d

thanks..i stand corrected.
i assumed as the uk cars (right hand drive) have a steering column hole in both sides of the firewall that us versions would have the same..

i wonder why us versions have just one hole? bizzare.

if you remove the trim panel on the top edge of the transmition tunnel that goes from glove box to the seat.one torx screw glove box end then slide the whole trim panel backwards...then remove the 2 x same size torx screws from the panel under the glove box (with the footwell light in it) and look towards the transmition tunnel you will see a short angled rubber pipe..this connects heater matrix?a/c unit to the bottom of the micro filter housing..check if this is leaking,.you could then remove the 4 x torx screws on the under glove box panel/pollen filter box,and change pollen filters if you wanted..make sure arrows on filter point in towards the back of the car,

all this is 20 minits work.
its hard to tell if your leak is on the door side or transmition tunnel side,,if door side possibly a door seal failing.

you could removr the inner plastic cill trim (im not sure what you call cills in usa,,rocker box? when you open the door its the plastic trim you see that holds edge of carpet..no screws just pull upwards...then where the floor carpet is split you can lift it up and chech for water there..
also when you remove lower glove box cover you can see top edge of footwell carpet.it you pull this down you can make doubly sure ther isnt 3 x clips (same as on the back of a wheel centre cap) in a circle the size of a tennis ball that would indicate a yellow grommet..
another unlikely cause could be a leaking windscreen,
uk cars have heater matrix pipes at that side.if the leaking water is "slippery" and smells funny it could be coolant.
i hope this helps...i thought i had seen a bodyshell picture from bmw factory showing a firewall pic with a hole at both sides,,i assumed right hand drive got a grommet in left hole and vice versa for left hand drives..which would make more sense than bmw making a diferent firewall for left and right hand drives,but i could be wrong..
good luck.
Appreciate 0