02-15-2013, 08:05 AM   #1
DMD
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW M4

why no adaptive drive option for 640 GC

Hello.
I'm considering a 6 GC as I'm about to step out of my '11 e92 M3.
Going to test drive both 640 and 650 GC this saturday.

was looking at standard equipment sheets for both cars.
They all show "sport suspension" as standard.

but while building a 650, I see the option for "Adaptive Drive".

I do not see that option for 640.

Is this a superior suspension/handling option?

and why isn't it available for the 640?

thank you in advance.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 10:35 AM   #2
Mentos
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 640d GC Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMD View Post
Hello.

thank you in advance.
BMW can't seem to decide on a consistent name for their adaptive suspension options, so t save you the trouble:

VDC = Variable damper control
Adaptive Drive = Adaptive roll bars + VDC

Not sure why its not listed as an option for the 640i, these options are available in one form or another on far cheaper cars in the BMW range. I am going to guess its just a mistake on the website.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 07:54 PM   #3
NicoleLusts4BMW
BeachBitch
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 540i M Package 20" wheels

Quote:
Hello.

thank you in advance.
Mine has it on.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 08:27 PM   #4
DMD
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentos View Post
BMW can't seem to decide on a consistent name for their adaptive suspension options, so t save you the trouble:

VDC = Variable damper control
Adaptive Drive = Adaptive roll bars + VDC

Not sure why its not listed as an option for the 640i, these options are available in one form or another on far cheaper cars in the BMW range. I am going to guess its just a mistake on the website.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleLusts4BMW View Post
Mine has it on.
Thank you for the responses guys.

BMW does get a bit fancy with their nomenclature.

Every time I'm about to get a new car, I have to do more homework. Just realizing now that from the sport button on an 09 X5, which very likely was adaptive drive, to a rocker switch by the gear selector on my wife's '12 GT (no clue if its just VDC), to the EDC on my '11 M3.......there's every acronym in the book. Somehow my '08 335 coupe 6MT with all bells and whistles didn't have any such thing. Rode on coilovers better than it ever did on standard suspension and run flats.

Anyhow, back to the topic;

The concern is that the option on the configurator isn't listed at all to choose for the 640. I'll be doing the test drives tomorrow. the 640 has M sport, so I'd assume if they ordered it, they'd add adaptive to it, hopefully.

I'm already concerned that only the upcoming M6 GC might feel anywhere close to the liveliness of the e92 M3. Not in love with new M5, hence not considering it. No time to wait for 1+ yr on new M3/M4

Another concern is the 8AT gearbox. Will it be clearly soft/plush vs, MDC-T. I drive 90% in full manual/paddle mode.

I realize my concerns won't be answered till i drive them. So pardon the rant.

Back to the rocker switch beside the shifter, I noticed in in most new BMWs. Is that just VDC? in our GT, once in sport or sport +, the gears hold longer, car feels awakened, but it won't get to 8th gear, and generally doesn't suit the character of the car. Love cruising with the family in that car, don't like hustling it around.

Again thank you for your input and responses.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2013, 06:26 AM   #5
Mentos
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 640d GC Msport

Quote:
Thank you for the responses guys.

BMW does get a bit fancy with their nomenclature.

Every time I'm about to get a new car, I have to do more homework. Just realizing now that from the sport button on an 09 X5, which very likely was adaptive drive, to a rocker switch by the gear selector on my wife's '12 GT (no clue if its just VDC), to the EDC on my '11 M3.......there's every acronym in the book. Somehow my '08 335 coupe 6MT with all bells and whistles didn't have any such thing. Rode on coilovers better than it ever did on standard suspension and run flats.

Anyhow, back to the topic;

The concern is that the option on the configurator isn't listed at all to choose for the 640. I'll be doing the test drives tomorrow. the 640 has M sport, so I'd assume if they ordered it, they'd add adaptive to it, hopefully.

I'm already concerned that only the upcoming M6 GC might feel anywhere close to the liveliness of the e92 M3. Not in love with new M5, hence not considering it. No time to wait for 1+ yr on new M3/M4

Another concern is the 8AT gearbox. Will it be clearly soft/plush vs, MDC-T. I drive 90% in full manual/paddle mode.

I realize my concerns won't be answered till i drive them. So pardon the rant.

Back to the rocker switch beside the shifter, I noticed in in most new BMWs. Is that just VDC? in our GT, once in sport or sport +, the gears hold longer, car feels awakened, but it won't get to 8th gear, and generally doesn't suit the character of the car. Love cruising with the family in that car, don't like hustling it around.

Again thank you for your input and responses.
If you're talking about the sport/comfort rocker switch, that is there regardless of the car having any of the Adaptive suspension components (atleast on the current BMW range).

By default it switches the throttle/gearbox mapping/steering (unless its hydrolic) settings to a more aggressive/softer mode. IE put it in sport and throttle is sharper, gearbox holds gears longer, steering tightens up. It may also effect the engine, as it tends to rev higher and economy drops, but this could just be down to the gearbox holding the lower gear longer. In sport+ it will also retard the DSC.

I believe on the new LCD instrument cluster it will also change its appearance (colour and display information which is more relevant in that setting more prominently. For example in ECO it may display current fuel economy etc more prominently).

If you have adaptive suspension components the rocker will also control these. Tightening things up in sport, making it softer in comfort. However, remember the suspension is adaptive, so it doesn't make it rock hard all the time. It just changes the transition points. So for example if you're tootling along in sport it will still give you a pliant ride. But head into a corner and things will tighten up much sooner. Whereas in comfort it won't leave you with a barge through the whole corner, it will still tighten the suspension settings at some point, just a lot later then in sport mode. I hope i haven't confused you. To give you an analogy its the difference between an easy going woman and one with a temper. Both will bite your head off if you push hard enough, just one will be more eager to switch

Also in each mode you can adjust what changes. So in sport you can leave the suspension in comfort.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2013, 06:52 AM   #6
DMD
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentos View Post
If you're talking about the sport/comfort rocker switch, that is there regardless of the car having any of the Adaptive suspension components (atleast on the current BMW range).

By default it switches the throttle/gearbox mapping/steering (unless its hydrolic) settings to a more aggressive/softer mode. IE put it in sport and throttle is sharper, gearbox holds gears longer, steering tightens up. It may also effect the engine, as it tends to rev higher and economy drops, but this could just be down to the gearbox holding the lower gear longer. In sport+ it will also retard the DSC.

I believe on the new LCD instrument cluster it will also change its appearance (colour and display information which is more relevant in that setting more prominently. For example in ECO it may display current fuel economy etc more prominently).

If you have adaptive suspension components the rocker will also control these. Tightening things up in sport, making it softer in comfort. However, remember the suspension is adaptive, so it doesn't make it rock hard all the time. It just changes the transition points. So for example if you're tootling along in sport it will still give you a pliant ride. But head into a corner and things will tighten up much sooner. Whereas in comfort it won't leave you with a barge through the whole corner, it will still tighten the suspension settings at some point, just a lot later then in sport mode. I hope i haven't confused you. To give you an analogy its the difference between an easy going woman and one with a temper. Both will bite your head off if you push hard enough, just one will be more eager to switch

Also in each mode you can adjust what changes. So in sport you can leave the suspension in comfort.
Hello mentos. thanks for the response and clarification. And, quite a good analogy too.
No you didn't confuse me at all.
I've owned BMWs for many years now, back to back, they just recently seem a bit un-BMW like with things like these options and their availability.
Much as I loved the e90/e92 M3 when I initially test drove them without EDC, I was sure to buy mine with EDC.
I love the dichotomy it creates, in the M3 it is quite apparent. Even in competition package, where its a dynamic mode vs. a static setting in non-competition, it just felt right all the time. And i'm one that sets it to be high strung when i feel like it, and enjoy it being for most others, harsh. It adds to the emotional part of driving a car like that. I even ask for upcoming versions of MDC-T to keep the relaxed modes, but add even more aggressive shift sequences that involve you to the max, even in a daily driver.

I love the idea of this car, but it will be the first car i consider to be my full time vehicle that is larger than a 3 series. I'm currently not in love with any of their offerings. Sure I love the M6, but it wouldn't suit my lifestyle. I have three little ones 6yo and under. M5 didn't make me swoon this time around. M6 GC i fell in love with at the Detroit auto show last month. Much as I love it, it won't suit my lifestyle at this time. I'm so busy with work/family.....etc that I'll never utilize it the way I'd like to, as an uber sporty grand tourer. With the additional premium for the M version, it would feel like a waste sitting around. But i love the GC enough to consider it my daily driver and I'm hoping that today's test drives aren't anticlimactic.

Again, pardon the rambling and getting off topic, and thank you to all those who are contributing to this thread.
Appreciate 0