BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

08-03-2015, 10:56 PM   #1
Brazz
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5

Garage List
2014 640i GC  [0.00]
Performance Increase

Question... I have a 2014 M-Sport GC. Considering a BMS intake and JB4 addition. What should I expect from a power increase??? Will it be relatively minor or significant like driving in Sport mode??? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2015, 04:25 AM   #2
MrBreezenovel
Private
Rep
Drives: M4 Calf T 911, GTS, RR S Class

My coupe has Dinan Stage 1 and shockware and sprint booster for the throttle lag and because of the way these cars are geared if you want to really feel the power increase you will have to use the paddles. These are heavy cars that shift too low in the RPM range (even in sport) to fully enjoy the power band. I am sure since they are seen a luxury coupes (and to save gas) BMW does not design them to shift at 6000 RPM
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2015, 12:38 AM   #3
BDO
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 X6 40d M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBreezenovel View Post
My coupe has Dinan Stage 1 and shockware and sprint booster for the throttle lag and because of the way these cars are geared if you want to really feel the power increase you will have to use the paddles. These are heavy cars that shift too low in the RPM range (even in sport) to fully enjoy the power band. I am sure since they are seen a luxury coupes (and to save gas) BMW does not design them to shift at 6000 RPM
Eh? In sport, and with gearbox in sport, it holds the revs to the redline before changing up.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2015, 05:54 AM   #4
MrBreezenovel
Private
Rep

I own two 650's coupe and convertible, and have driven at least a dozen, not a single one of them did that. My Panamera is the exact same way, you need to use the paddles to control the power band.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2015, 01:48 PM   #5
Downfourit
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: M6 Gran Coupe`

Quote:
I own two 650's coupe and convertible, and have driven at least a dozen, not a single one of them did that. My Panamera is the exact same way, you need to use the paddles to control the power band.
I would argue that is completely incorrect. The car is fastest and most consistent in Sport+ S mode. It's also the only mode you can use the launch control feature in. I see that your car is modded, have you activated launch control?
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2015, 05:49 PM   #6
menacez
Private
Rep
Drives: 640d Gran Coupe

Quote:
As a side note, where did you mount your sprintbooster switch and were you able to get the module flush behind pedal?
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2015, 04:09 AM   #7
MrBreezenovel
Private
Rep

No matter what mode I am in the car will not go to redline on its own I have to use the manual controls and the paddles if I want it to go to redline. Yes I had no problem getting the module behind the pedal in fact it was the quickest install of one of these I have ever done. I own a lot of cars and the 650 is one of my cruising cars I do not need to use launch control with this car
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2015, 11:56 AM   #8
Brazz
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 640i GC  [0.00]
Thanks for the responses. Anyone with a 640 that installed the JB? What performance changes did you notice? I have read the info on the website but I would like to hear real experiences with a 640. The 650 is already significantly more powerful than the 640 so the comparisons are not Apple to Apple. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2015, 01:12 PM   #9
Downfourit
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No matter what mode I am in the car will not go to redline on its own I have to use the manual controls and the paddles if I want it to go to redline. Yes I had no problem getting the module behind the pedal in fact it was the quickest install of one of these I have ever done. I own a lot of cars and the 650 is one of my cruising cars I do not need to use launch control with this car
Then you don't know how to drive. My car goes to redline without the paddles and not in manual mode. Having the launch control is a nice feature for when you want the optimal acceleration out of the gate and thru the gears, sounds like you didn't even know the car had it judging by your response. I guess stick to cruising?
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2015, 08:41 AM   #10
BDO
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, I don't quite get what this has to do with how many cars you have, but it seems that both your sixes are broken. Any BMW with an 8 speed sports auto will hold revs to redline, even when not in sport if you're foot flat past the kickdown switch.

I made a video for you (pardon the music )

http://tinypic.com/r/28riqhe/8
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2015, 01:27 PM   #11
Downfourit
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDO View Post
Yeah, I don't quite get what this has to do with how many cars you have, but it seems that both your sixes are broken. Any BMW with an 8 speed sports auto will hold revs to redline, even when not in sport if you're foot flat past the kickdown switch.

In almost every post he states that he's had hundreds of cars and that he is the bomb.com. Yet no pictures of anything, and aside from not knowing that his car had launch control, he also doesn't know that shifting the 650 at redline, you are actually going slower and losing power. At 6500rpm the turbos are already out of breath, anyone who's owned the amount of cars and has the driving experience that he is trying to represent would know that and a lot more. GTFOH with that garbage
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2015, 03:24 AM   #12
BDO
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downfourit View Post
In almost every post he states that he's had hundreds of cars and that he is the bomb.com.
Ah, didn't realise I fell for the trololol.

Anyway, OP, the JB4 from BMS is a tested, proven ~30whp increase on an N55 engine, not sure about the N63Tu but it should be a smidgen more. As far as bang for buck mods go, it's hard to beat, and it scales very nicely if you decide to add other performance mods too. I'd say definitely go for it.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2015, 11:41 AM   #13
Brazz
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 640i GC  [0.00]
Thank you. I don't have any experience with mods. I've always been skeptical about adding non-OEM parts to the main components, especially BMW's.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2015, 09:22 PM   #14
fatizzle
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 bmw 650i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downfourit View Post
In almost every post he states that he's had hundreds of cars and that he is the bomb.com. Yet no pictures of anything, and aside from not knowing that his car had launch control, he also doesn't know that shifting the 650 at redline, you are actually going slower and losing power. At 6500rpm the turbos are already out of breath, anyone who's owned the amount of cars and has the driving experience that he is trying to represent would know that and a lot more. GTFOH with that garbage

When would u say is the best time to shift if not redline? I was always under the assumption you were suppose to redline it?
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2015, 10:24 PM   #15
Downfourit
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatizzle View Post
When would u say is the best time to shift if not redline? I was always under the assumption you were suppose to redline it?
If you're shifting manually, somewhere between 6000-6500. When things are moving that fast just make sure you're keeping both eyes planted on the road! This is ARC550's dyno in his 550xi with a tune and 93oct. His car is a beast by the way! You can see on the graph that by the time you're crossing 6500 the curve is already down around 70whp from peak and dropping.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      08-08-2015, 10:50 PM   #16
BMWMilan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatizzle View Post
No, not at redline.

For the 650i (with the N63Tü engine) max horsepower comes at 5500 rpm, and gradually drops off until redline at 7000 rpm.
Appreciate 1
      08-09-2015, 02:57 AM   #17
fatizzle
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 bmw 650i

Okay cool thanks for the heads up fellas
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2015, 10:51 AM   #18
BDO
Lieutenant
Rep

As per downfourit's post, when to shift depends on the power/torque curves of the motor in question.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2015, 01:44 PM   #19
Downfourit
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWMilan View Post
No, not at redline.

For the 650i (with the N63Tü engine) max horsepower comes at 5500 rpm, and gradually drops off until redline at 7000 rpm.
Right, but you don't want to shift at 5500rpm because once you go into the next gear you'll be too low in the RPM range. Shifting at 6500 will keep the RPM's bouncing between 5000-6500 and keep the car pulling hard.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2015, 05:43 AM   #20
MrBreezenovel
Private
Rep

Thanks for the video, and my car is going in because it will not do that on its own. I have been a member of many forums over the years (my name here is the title of my first novel) and this is the very first time I have been called a troll. You can find my posts on Ferrarichat (been there since 2003 one of the old timers)as Carnut, I am 1Carnut on Rennlist and I also belong to 6 speedonline, Bimmerfest (Rich the coder has seen some of my cars)and the 500 Abarth forums. If my statements offended anyone I do apologize but you will see if you chose to look that everything I have stated is true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDO View Post

Appreciate 0
      08-11-2015, 06:05 AM   #21
MrBreezenovel
Private
Rep

If you want to take an easier route go to mikesultraservice.com you can see a few of my cars including Mike in front of my 430 coupe, my Gallardo (before it was transformed) my 07 Z06 my white M6 and coupe of my Porsche's including the superchargered 997S and even my Abarth. After over 40 years of doing modifications to cars I am not a hyped up about it (or as interested as I once was) but being called out as a fake, well that is a very different story.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2015, 04:57 PM   #22
Downfourit
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If you want to take an easier route go to mikesultraservice.com you can see a few of my cars including Mike in front of my 430 coupe, my Gallardo (before it was transformed) my 07 Z06 my white M6 and coupe of my Porsche's including the superchargered 997S and even my Abarth. After over 40 years of doing modifications to cars I am not a hyped up about it (or as interested as I once was) but being called out as a fake, well that is a very different story.
It wasn't so much anyone calling you a fake, but the information you put out was completely incorrect leading people to believe that you don't know anything about the mechanical workings of cars. Aside from that, in almost each one of your posts you feel the need to tell everyone about all your cars and such, like the post above. No one really cares about your collection here or what you want to prove unfortunately. We do care about information pertaining to these cars/engines.
Appreciate 0