BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      09-27-2016, 05:09 PM   #1
SixPost
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 650i Xdrive Alpine White

Low RPM humming

I've researched and read other threads on this topic, but I still feel the need to describe mine and get you experienced 6 owners thoughts...

My 6 makes a humming sound that is most evident driving around town and when RPMs are @ 1000 and slightly above. The best way to describe it is a muffled humm sound, that can be pretty noticeable with the radio off and windows up. Another way to describe it is a muffled engine lugging sound.

I've read other threads that stating that this sound is related to unbalanced or bent wheels.... I find this hard to believe... but Im scheduled for a road force balance on Friday.

Other threads have stated that what I've described is "normal turbo sound" This may be true, but I'd feel better hearing that others have it and its not a problem.

Ive wondered about the driveshaft issues that some vehicles have had, as well as vacuum lines under the hood. Could my car have these problems???

Anyway... looking for your advice. Should I worry about it or turn up the radio and forget about it???
Appreciate 0