BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

06-02-2016, 03:39 PM   #1
BDO
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 X6 40d M-sport

N63TU reliability/problems/driveability

Looking at some 650i examples, just examining the maintenance history shows just how problematic the N63 engined cars have been. Driving them it's even worse, the N63 being a laggy, digital motor, with on/off throttle characteristics which I really don't enjoy.

What is the N63TU like? The maintenance records of cars I have looked at suggest a much more reliable motor, which seems to be consensus on the net too. What are the real world experiences like?

Most importantly, what are its driving characteristics like? Does it improve on the N63 when it comes to throttle response, and turbo lag?

I'd like the n63tu owners to chip in with their experiences.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2016, 04:18 PM   #2
drmlee
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F06 650i

I have a 650, n63tu. I don't really notice any turbo lag. the power feels pretty linear and you cant even really feel the boost kicking in. the throttle doesn't really feel on/off to me either. I drive the car 75% of the time in sport mode. in terms of reliability, i have 10k miles on mine and nothings broken yet. the only thing i don't like about the engine is that there is a lack of power from around 6-7k rpm. the car feels like it falls flat on its face and struggles to hit redline. the 4.0 twin turbo V8 in my previous audi s6 felt like it was a faster car.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2016, 01:14 PM   #3
ShakeDaddy
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 650i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmlee View Post
I drive the car 75% of the time in sport mode.
I do not blame you at all. The feeling and response of the 650i TU in Sport + is for me what this car was designed to be. There was a well-known member who always kept his car always in sport + and he would report a 12-13 mpg. I'm one of these guys that goes back and forth all the time from comfort to sport +, it's such a difference and is great having such a choice of depending on the road, conditions and general mood.

The V8 TT N63TU is Very Reliable. I've had my TU since day 1, now for 42 months and with nearly 31K+ miles, and one issue to date. Which was the crankcase vent hose leaking unmetered air into the intake system, which I feel is primarily caused by turbo heat and the lines that really should come with factory braded metal tubing. I do live in the desert and this car has seen some 105-110 days, so that might have also been a factor. Easy fix of 1 day at the dealer.

Couple of items that have worked well for me on my N63TU
• At fill up add a bottle of 20GL Techron fuel system cleaner every 2500 miles
• Oil and BMW filter change every 7500 miles
• Top tier gas only like Shell Nitro or Chevron, no generic labels
• Normal RPM’s until the engine is fully to temperature

As far as mods that go a Long Way to better performance
• BMS Stage 1
• Power Pedal
• Non-RFT only
• Dinan Shockware
• Octane of 96
• Remove Charcoal Filters