BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

06-15-2013, 01:50 PM   #1
wzj519
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 COMP PKG

Option help needed

Hi guys here,
Currently I am driving the x6 and started to think about trade in my vehicle 2 months ago. I was looking at Benz ML63 and test drove it. Even it is an AMG version ML but the handling was still BS comparing with our bimmers. I also went to check Audi S7, it does a nice sporty feeling sedan, but the interior just not as luxury as I expected. I also considered Porsche Panamera. Well, it is a nice big panny, but with so many options and my limited budget I just can afford one well optioned 4s. It equipped with the v8. However, what I found was the v8 does not have enough power to take this big Panny. During 20 mins testdrive time, it just gave me the impression, that's not a 911, it is a big and heavy Penny. All the three cars are not as wonderful as I expected, so I was unsure which one shall I take.
Reality sometimes like drama story, I went to dealer to do regular scheduled maintenance for my x6 yesterday and walked around to spend my boring waiting time. One beauty came into my eye. My first thought was damn I should get her. It is my ideal car. Yes, it is 650 GC. I immediately asked my SA to bring the key and let me check the interior. I was surprised again. BMW did the interior on this car is perfect . I just can say perfect. After a while I told my SA I want the 650. Therefore, we started to configure the vehicle. Problem came out here which is also the one I want to ask you guys. My SA said B&O and lighting package both are very nice and I should put both of them on my 6er. However, due to the limited budget I only can out one of them on my vehicle. Which one shall I take guys ??? The lighting or the B&O? Thanks a lot. Guys.
2017 M3 Comp PKG 2017 MINI JCW
991.2 GT3 (coming)
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2013, 02:58 PM   #2
Superfluous
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 Gran Coupe

Another member, Southern, says he wouldn't get the car without the lighting package. I say I wouldn't get the car without the m sport package. However, I don't have the lighting package, and it doesn't bother me. I'm not just saying this because I don't have the lighting package, but I really don't notice a difference. The LED strip at the bottom of the headlight is for the turn signals only. Otherwise, the eyes appear to be more squinted with the lighting package. You still get the white circular eyes and the strip without the LED package. As for B&O, I'm not sure since I don't have that either, just the premium. The premium is okay. You happen to be selecting between the two packages I don't have, so maybe I'm not a good voice for this.

Here's a comparison (both with M Sport package):

Appreciate 0
      06-15-2013, 03:27 PM   #3
wzj519
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfluous View Post
Another member, Southern, says he wouldn't get the car without the lighting package. I say I wouldn't get the car without the m sport package. However, I don't have the lighting package, and it doesn't bother me. I'm not just saying this because I don't have the lighting package, but I really don't notice a difference. The LED strip at the bottom of the headlight is for the turn signals only. Otherwise, the eyes appear to be more squinted with the lighting package. You still get the white circular eyes and the strip without the LED package. As for B&O, I'm not sure since I don't have that either, just the premium. The premium is okay. You happen to be selecting between the two packages I don't have, so maybe I'm not a good voice for this.

Here's a comparison (both with M Sport package):

Thanks a lot. How is the reliability and driving comfort so far?
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2013, 05:31 PM   #4
Superfluous
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wzj519 View Post
Thanks a lot. How is the reliability and driving comfort so far?
I've had my car about a week so it's hard for me to comment on reliability. I like the way it drives. I find the 640 engine enough for me as I mostly drive this to work where I don't even have enough space to open it up. A 650 would be nice but is also about $10,000 more and requires me to stop at the gas station twice as often.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2013, 05:57 PM   #5
southern6er22
Southern6er22
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 650i xDrive M Sport Coupe

Garage List
I am a huge fan of the full LEDs. The main reason they are among my top 3 must have options is because I love the look of them. I don't really care about the added safety benefits, but it's a good appeal to your logic if you're trying to convince yourself.

I've been saying this for a year now, and my theory has been proven mostly correct over the last few weeks with the release of the new X5, 5er LCI, and new 4er: The higher end BMWs are going to have the LEDs, so the car will age better and look more exclusive if fitted with the new LEDs. I say "mostly correct" because these three cars are big sellers for the Bimmer brand and thus my statement about exclusivity of the vehicles to which they're fitted is slightly off.

As for the B&O, I kick myself every day for passing on this option. I have premium, and it is an aurally satisfying system. My regret has little to do with the sound. I'm not an audiophile by any stretch of the imagination. However, as recall how those brushed aluminum grates look in this car, as see others with the system, and I remember how good this system sounds, there's more than a tinge of regret. In the long run, another $3700 wouldn't have made a big difference financially to a $105k car, but I was trying to be good at the time and thought this was the place to draw the line.

I passed on the Driver Assistance Package (DAP) and just added the stand alone HUD (now included in the Executive package - at least on the coupe, I forget if it's different on the GC). What I'm getting at is that I'd drop the DAP, but make sure I got the HUD, and put that money into things like the LEDs and B&O.

Getting back to the initial question, gun to my head and I could only have one of the two, I'd take the LEDs every time. While I regret not having the B&O, I desire it less than the LEDs.

All of this is completely subjective, so what you really want should be the deciding factor. The Premium sound is really sufficient as far as my ears are concerned. It's not the best, but it is very good. The LEDs are a big part of making this car the stunning beast that draws all of the second glances and thumbs up day after day.

Good luck deciding!
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2013, 07:03 PM   #6
andreo
BMW Enthusiast
Macao
Rep
Drives: Citrin Black 650i Coupé (F13)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wzj519
Hi guys here,
Currently I am driving the x6 and started to think about trade in my vehicle 2 months ago. I was looking at Benz ML63 and test drove it. Even it is an AMG version ML but the handling was still BS comparing with our bimmers. I also went to check Audi S7, it does a nice sporty feeling sedan, but the interior just not as luxury as I expected. I also considered Porsche Panamera. Well, it is a nice big panny, but with so many options and my limited budget I just can afford one well optioned 4s. It equipped with the v8. However, what I found was the v8 does not have enough power to take this big Panny. During 20 mins testdrive time, it just gave me the impression, that's not a 911, it is a big and heavy Penny. All the three cars are not as wonderful as I expected, so I was unsure which one shall I take.
Reality sometimes like drama story, I went to dealer to do regular scheduled maintenance for my x6 yesterday and walked around to spend my boring waiting time. One beauty came into my eye. My first thought was damn I should get her. It is my ideal car. Yes, it is 650 GC. I immediately asked my SA to bring the key and let me check the interior. I was surprised again. BMW did the interior on this car is perfect . I just can say perfect. After a while I told my SA I want the 650. Therefore, we started to configure the vehicle. Problem came out here which is also the one I want to ask you guys. My SA said B&O and lighting package both are very nice and I should put both of them on my 6er. However, due to the limited budget I only can out one of them on my vehicle. Which one shall I take guys ??? The lighting or the B&O? Thanks a lot. Guys.
Both are key elements of the 6'er design but I am with Southern on this. Priority goes to the LED headlights. Without them, the car already looks outdated. They are adaptive and provide additional functions besides good looks.

The B&O system is a fine system but not enough to give up LED headlights for. However, before you give it up, try to negotiate for a better price with your SA and get both included.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2013, 07:13 PM   #7
wzj519
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreo View Post
Both are key elements of the 6'er design but I am with Southern on this. Priority goes to the LED headlights. Without them, the car already looks outdated. They are adaptive and provide additional functions besides good looks.

The B&O system is a fine system but not enough to give up LED headlights for. However, before you give it up, try to negotiate for a better price with your SA and get both included.
Yep thanks a lot. Bud I would ask SA to give me the best deal. If I must pass one of the two.b&o should be passed I think.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2013, 07:59 PM   #8
BMWMilan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

L. E. D.

All. Day. Long.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2013, 08:15 PM   #9
mlai
Colonel
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 650GC/E93M3/Lexus LS600HL

Garage List
Do the LED headlights! For the B&O, well, pretend that it does not exist

The premium sounds mighty fine as it is and money is probably better spent elsewhere.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2013, 06:30 AM   #10
Bönz
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

Another vote for LEDs.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2013, 11:22 AM   #11
wzj519
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlai View Post
Do the LED headlights! For the B&O, well, pretend that it does not exist

The premium sounds mighty fine as it is and money is probably better spent elsewhere.
Yep. My x6 has the premium sound now and I asked my SA , he told me the premium sound in 650 would be same as in the x6. However, x6's is BS.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2013, 11:24 AM   #12
wzj519
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bönz View Post
Another vote for LEDs.
Thanks I decided I will add all five packages for canadian first and then if SA can give me a really good offer I will consider the b&o.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2013, 06:19 PM   #13
Superfluous
Private
Rep

Can someone explain what part of the LED light package they like so much compared to the regular Xenon with the circular LED eyes?

LED Package

Xenon

Last edited by Superfluous; 06-16-2013 at 06:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2013, 09:33 PM   #14
southern6er22
Southern6er22
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Pictures don't do the difference justice. Like the B&O, the standard may be just fine - except for that nagging feeling that there's another more exclusive option. The styling and structure of the lights are completely different if you compare the lights up close. Search my blog, YouTube channel, and/or the 6post archives (circa 02/2013) and you'll see a bunch of detailed pictures and videos pertaining to these lights.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2013, 05:08 AM   #15
andreo
BMW Enthusiast
Macao
Rep
Drives: Citrin Black 650i Coupé (F13)

Quote:
Can someone explain what part of the LED light package they like so much compared to the regular Xenon with the circular LED eyes?
One of the distinguishing factors is the 3D LED tendrils (see attached) that extrudes the LED coronas within the cluster producing a floating effect. The flattened bottoms of the coronas also lend a more updated look. Overall, the LED cluster produce a very well-defined and crisp white presentation of the individual elements within the cluster. Granted, all these are just the aesthetics. The additional adaptive functions, discrete cornering elements and instant on nature of the LEDs complete the package.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-17-2013, 11:24 AM   #16
hinckley
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '24 M4C Conv

wzj519 - one more vote for the LEDs!

Now to go off topic, can you compare the ride and handling of the S7 and the 650? I agree that the S7's interior is waaay inferior to the 650's, but I think the S7 is more practical than the 650 and my S4 winter car is an absolute hoot to drive.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2013, 01:06 PM   #17
m630
Major
Rep
Drives: '22 X4M Comp / ‘22 X3 / f136

Garage List
‘22 X4MC  [0.00]
Quote:

LED Package

Xenon
I know this gets some members riled up, but its a laughable discussion on the LEDs vs Xenons. The car speaks for itself, and only the very very few members who are passionate about such things care at all. I promise you that if you drove next to someone else in the same car but one had the LEDs and one the Xexons, 100 out of a 100 people would not know the difference, nor care less. There is no magic in the beauty of the LEDs that make the Xenons look at all less pleasing when they see the GC. Its only in the mind that it makes a difference as you as the driver and owner never see them in action, youre behind the wheel, so there's no need to impress anyone that isnt in the driver seat...jmho
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2013, 08:02 PM   #18
wzj519
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hinckley View Post
wzj519 - one more vote for the LEDs!

Now to go off topic, can you compare the ride and handling of the S7 and the 650? I agree that the S7's interior is waaay inferior to the 650's, but I think the S7 is more practical than the 650 and my S4 winter car is an absolute hoot to drive.
Yes this is the point I choose 650 over s7. The s7 does more practical than 650 regards on huge trunk capacity, but the 650's trunk is not small at all. For the handling, it is true that s7 is very sporty may more sportier than 650 in several aspect. I think the limits of s7 such as cornering handling may higher than 650, but the most important part is all the feelings of s7 are unnatural, I cannot feel I am handling the car. However, 650 is pure BMW genetic. When I am driving it, I know I am the driver. Maybe this is the difference between the truth of engineering(audi) and ultimate driving machine(BMW).
By the way, my dealer also called me today and told me they can offer me an m6 coupe at the price just 8000 above 650 GC. If it is my only car, I gonna drive it four seasons. I live in Toronto Canada. Shall I take the m6 or 650 GC? Is m6 drivable in snow storms? My SA told me it should be ok for driving m6 in winter regards on the weight of the car and the perfect weight distribution. Is it true?
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2013, 08:30 PM   #19
southern6er22
Southern6er22
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I don't know the first thing about driving in the snow, but I'd say you should do so cautiously with 560 hp going to the rear wheels. Also, I think snow tires are a must. The 650i GC gives you the xDrive option, which I adore, and I don't even need it for the weather. If you want an M6 and can justify it in your climate, than go for it. However, I'd make sure they're offering you an equally equipped M6 at that price. I could've gotten an M6 for less than $5000 difference between it and my 650xi, but it would've been stripped out. The M6 gives you big performance and a lot of badge, but I don't find those nearly as pleasurable as the gadgets, luxury options, LEDs, etc.

I guess what I'm saying is that I'd go the 650xi route with all the options as opposed to the mighty M6 that feels a little less mighty 95% of the time when you're not on a track.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2013, 08:41 PM   #20
wzj519
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by southern6er22 View Post
I don't know the first thing about driving in the snow, but I'd say you should do so cautiously with 560 hp going to the rear wheels. Also, I think snow tires are a must. The 650i GC gives you the xDrive option, which I adore, and I don't even need it for the weather. If you want an M6 and can justify it in your climate, than go for it. However, I'd make sure they're offering you an equally equipped M6 at that price. I could've gotten an M6 for less than $5000 difference between it and my 650xi, but it would've been stripped out. The M6 gives you big performance and a lot of badge, but I don't find those nearly as pleasurable as the gadgets, luxury options, LEDs, etc.

I guess what I'm saying is that I'd go the 650xi route with all the options as opposed to the mighty M6 that feels a little less mighty 95% of the time when you're not on a track.
Thanks a lot. As I have never owned an M car, I just heard M is the truth of performance. I always want to have a try though. My bud has a c63 AMG and he told me even with winter tires, you will stuck in snow because M6 has so much torque. Same thing happened to his c63 last year, so he went to lease an x6m this year only drive it in winter. Southern6er22, have you ever owned an m car? Is the straight line performance really different between 650 xi GC and M6 coupe? Thanks again. I am really appreciate of your answer.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2013, 09:11 PM   #21
southern6er22
Southern6er22
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I've never owned an M, but I've spent a bit of time in an E92 and I did the 2-day M School in Spartanburg, SC. I'm certainly no expert, but the course was very educational. Don't get me wrong, the M6 is a great car all around. However, unless you care deeply about track performance, irresponsible speed on public roads, and/or ///M badges, then you're better off with the 650i. I'm a big fan of xDrive because of the massive grip and the safety net it provides. Most important though is the steering. The 650xi still utilizes the hydraulic steering, and it's so much better for it. The new generation of electric steering in BMWs is better than most, but I don't think it can match TG hydraulic.

On a daily basis, the grip, steering, and ability to handle public roads are what will really impress you. I don't think I could really tell the difference between 4.4 seconds and 4.0 seconds to 60. The noise between the two cars is about the same. The additional M6 performance parts surely help your lap times, but I don't know if they play a big difference on the road. Sure, you can customize your steering, throttle, suspension, etc., but the 4 driving modes on the regular 6 really are sufficient.

After the 2-day M School, I did not walk away dying to trade up for an M6. The M6 I had was good, but it lacked done luxury options found in my 650xi. The absence of these features made me feel like that M6 was less special and thus more on par with my lowly 650i. The car I really wanted was the M3 - but with a 6er interior. The E92 M3 has the power to weight ratio, the precise handling, and the holy hell, gods of thunder roar that neither car possess.

In short:
- 650xi: best car for a (semi-reasonable) price for a daily driver.
- M3: best car BMW makes for the track, and arguably the best driver's car in existence under $200k.
- M6: the flagship BMW that works well on the track and as a daily driver and gets the most admiration; however, it isn't as good on a track as the M3 (unless maybe you're a pro driver, but even a few instructors said the M3 was their favorite) and it costs about $15k to $20k more than an equally equipped 650xi.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2013, 10:48 PM   #22
wzj519
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by southern6er22 View Post
I've never owned an M, but I've spent a bit of time in an E92 and I did the 2-day M School in Spartanburg, SC. I'm certainly no expert, but the course was very educational. Don't get me wrong, the M6 is a great car all around. However, unless you care deeply about track performance, irresponsible speed on public roads, and/or ///M badges, then you're better off with the 650i. I'm a big fan of xDrive because of the massive grip and the safety net it provides. Most important though is the steering. The 650xi still utilizes the hydraulic steering, and it's so much better for it. The new generation of electric steering in BMWs is better than most, but I don't think it can match TG hydraulic.

On a daily basis, the grip, steering, and ability to handle public roads are what will really impress you. I don't think I could really tell the difference between 4.4 seconds and 4.0 seconds to 60. The noise between the two cars is about the same. The additional M6 performance parts surely help your lap times, but I don't know if they play a big difference on the road. Sure, you can customize your steering, throttle, suspension, etc., but the 4 driving modes on the regular 6 really are sufficient.

After the 2-day M School, I did not walk away dying to trade up for an M6. The M6 I had was good, but it lacked done luxury options found in my 650xi. The absence of these features made me feel like that M6 was less special and thus more on par with my lowly 650i. The car I really wanted was the M3 - but with a 6er interior. The E92 M3 has the power to weight ratio, the precise handling, and the holy hell, gods of thunder roar that neither car possess.

In short:
- 650xi: best car for a (semi-reasonable) price for a daily driver.
- M3: best car BMW makes for the track, and arguably the best driver's car in existence under $200k.
- M6: the flagship BMW that works well on the track and as a daily driver and gets the most admiration; however, it isn't as good on a track as the M3 (unless maybe you're a pro driver, but even a few instructors said the M3 was their favorite) and it costs about $15k to $20k more than an equally equipped 650xi.
Thanks a lot. Southern. You are the best. I decided to go with 650ix. However, for the color combination I am unsure again. The white Exterior looks pretty but may make the color look too big. The black is very cool and can match the characteristics of 650 but may get dirty easily. Can you tell me what the combination of yours?
2017 M3 Comp PKG 2017 MINI JCW
991.2 GT3 (coming)
Appreciate 0