BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

07-12-2013, 11:47 PM   #1
fishskis
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 M3

M3 Owner Considering 640i or 650i (and a few other random questions)?

I would appreciate thoughts and opinions on the following....

I am currently driving a 2011 M3 vert and I love it. Before the M3, I had a 650 vert, and liked it a lot. Though I love the M3, I do not love: the interior (feels like a plain, outdated 3 series interior), the premium sound is weak, I miss HUD in the 650, the air conditioning is ok, but I find it lacking on very hot days, and the mileage/ range is bad.

My current plan is to do a European delivery for a 640 vert or 650 vert, both M-Sport Edition, adding Nappa leather if I get the 640. I just did a brief test drive in both cars, and I actually was more impressed with the 640 than I thought I would be; I really liked the quickness and responsiveness of the engine. And though the 650 was a beast, there was a brief lag in acceleration, and frankly, I could not take advantage of what it offers in my Los Angeles test drive. Maybe I am not as needy/ demanding as I used to be, but I'm thinking the 640i is plenty of car, particularly realistically looking at driving options in Los Angeles (and the US in general). Of course, I will miss the handling of the M3, but if anything, the 640i should be slightly better in this regard due to its reduced weight.

When I factor in the price difference, and more importantly, the fuel savings, and the increased range, I am strongly leaning in the direction of a 640i. Maybe I am getting almost practical as I get older...Yuchhh. Economics are a consideration; I got an incredible lease deal (European Delivery) on my M3, and I am spoiled by it; I am trying to be relatively prudent.

Any opinions on the 640i vs. 650i question?

Additionally, I saw the new Dynamic Digital Instrument Panel, but only briefly; I thought it was cool, but simultaneously, I am not sure I liked it; it felt video-gamey or gadgety or maybe just too different. Any thoughts on this?

Regarding colors (I know, and impossible question), I am thinking about Ivory interior, though I am worried about keeping it clean, particularly in a vert. I am thinking about Titanium Silver , though Carbon Black looks cool (but I am not crazy about blue, and it looks like it might have a lot of blue in it), but probably very difficult to maintain, which is not my strength.

Thank you in advance for the input.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2013, 08:02 AM   #2
Edlogix
Rep
Drives: 2013 640i GC & 2011 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishskis View Post

I am currently driving a 2011 M3 vert and I love it. Before the M3, I had a 650 vert, and liked it a lot. Though I love the M3, I do not love: the interior (feels like a plain, outdated 3 series interior), the premium sound is weak, I miss HUD in the 650, the air conditioning is ok, but I find it lacking on very hot days, and the mileage/ range is bad.

My current plan is to do a European delivery for a 640 vert or 650 vert, both M-Sport Edition, adding Nappa leather if I get the 640. I just did a brief test drive in both cars, and I actually was more impressed with the 640 than I thought I would be; I really liked the quickness and responsiveness of the engine. And though the 650 was a beast, there was a brief lag in acceleration, and frankly, I could not take advantage of what it offers in my Los Angeles test drive. Maybe I am not as needy/ demanding as I used to be, but I'm thinking the 640i is plenty of car, particularly realistically looking at driving options in Los Angeles (and the US in general). Of course, I will miss the handling of the M3, but if anything, the 640i should be slightly better in this regard due to its reduced weight.

When I factor in the price difference, and more importantly, the fuel savings, and the increased range, I am strongly leaning in the direction of a 640i. Maybe I am getting almost practical as I get older...Yuchhh. Economics are a consideration; I got an incredible lease deal (European Delivery) on my M3, and I am spoiled by it; I am trying to be relatively prudent.

Additionally, I saw the new Dynamic Digital Instrument Panel, but only briefly; I thought it was cool, but simultaneously, I am not sure I liked it; it felt video-gamey or gadgety or maybe just too different. Any thoughts on this?

Regarding colors (I know, and impossible question), I am thinking about Ivory interior, though I am worried about keeping it clean, particularly in a vert. I am thinking about Titanium Silver , though Carbon Black looks cool (but I am not crazy about blue, and it looks like it might have a lot of blue in it), but probably very difficult to maintain, which is not my strength.

If you are taking the economic factor in consideration, take a look on the remaining 2013 models already on the dealer floor. I did that and got a fantastic deal on a 2013 640GC. Of course, you will have to adjust to available colors and configurations and no ED.

My previous Z4 had the light beige interior, it looks beautiful, and with some basic care and proper leather cleaner and conditioner you'll be able to keep it as new for a long time.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2013, 09:18 AM   #3
540gone
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 X3 3.5, '14 640 GC

Talk about being in similar circumstances....

I have an '11 M3 and absolutely love the car - like you I also took ED and the first 2000 miles were driven in some of the most spectacularly beautiful areas of the world.. The ONLY problem I have with it is that it is an "extra" car and I simply don't drive it enough - how does a total of 7500 miles after almost 2 years sound. I just sold it to an appreciative new owner, and will be taking ED of a new 640iGC in September to replace my wife's S550 land yacht.

My decision on the 640 vs 650 was based on the following:

I currently also have an X3 (yea I know... not comparable), BUT same engine except 15 less HP & 30 lb/ft less torque than the 640, same weight, same final drive ratio, and it is pretty damn quick.

I drove the piss out of a 650 coupe (along with lots of other cars) at the BMW Performance center over a 2 day period a few months ago, and it was a great car. If I was going to be driving primarily on the autobahn, and 80-130mph acceleration was my top priority, the 650 would be a no brainer. BUT, due to it's lower weight and better weight distribution, I think the 640 actually handles a bit better. Also, due to the lower (higher numerical) final drive ratio in the 640 vs. the 650, my sense is that it makes the 2 cars pretty much indistinguishable at lower speeds, particularly around town.

I look at the lower (relative) price and better fuel economy as simply icing on the cake. And the new Sport Edition option package is an incredible deal vs. earlier pricing as it now includes much of what was previously optional stuff at a very attractive price. As to color, I personally feel the GC looks much better in dark colors, maybe not such a big deal w/ the vert, since the top can provide contrast. I also dislike light color interiors, but that is truly a personal preference.

Put it all together with ED & what's not to like!

Good luck w/ your decision.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2013, 08:31 PM   #4
fishskis
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 540gone View Post
Talk about being in similar circumstances....

I have an '11 M3 and absolutely love the car - like you I also took ED and the first 2000 miles were driven in some of the most spectacularly beautiful areas of the world.. The ONLY problem I have with it is that it is an "extra" car and I simply don't drive it enough - how does a total of 7500 miles after almost 2 years sound. I just sold it to an appreciative new owner, and will be taking ED of a new 640iGC in September to replace my wife's S550 land yacht.

My decision on the 640 vs 650 was based on the following:

I currently also have an X3 (yea I know... not comparable), BUT same engine except 15 less HP & 30 lb/ft less torque than the 640, same weight, same final drive ratio, and it is pretty damn quick.

I drove the piss out of a 650 coupe (along with lots of other cars) at the BMW Performance center over a 2 day period a few months ago, and it was a great car. If I was going to be driving primarily on the autobahn, and 80-130mph acceleration was my top priority, the 650 would be a no brainer. BUT, due to it's lower weight and better weight distribution, I think the 640 actually handles a bit better. Also, due to the lower (higher numerical) final drive ratio in the 640 vs. the 650, my sense is that it makes the 2 cars pretty much indistinguishable at lower speeds, particularly around town.

I look at the lower (relative) price and better fuel economy as simply icing on the cake. And the new Sport Edition option package is an incredible deal vs. earlier pricing as it now includes much of what was previously optional stuff at a very attractive price. As to color, I personally feel the GC looks much better in dark colors, maybe not such a big deal w/ the vert, since the top can provide contrast. I also dislike light color interiors, but that is truly a personal preference.

Put it all together with ED & what's not to like!

Good luck w/ your decision.
Thanks for that; very helpful.

Everything you said makes sense. Given my fairly limited test drives, I had the experience you described; I couldn't really see the big advantage in the type of driving I would be doing 90% of the time. For those of us that have been lucky enough to do European Delivery, particularly with a 650 or an M3, we can appreciate what these great cars were engineered for; unfortunately, we can also appreciate how much our cars are limited in this country when we return.

I am sure I will miss the M3 when I am driving through the canyons or on PCH around Big Sur; other than that, I suspect the six series will be fantastic, even "just" a 640i.

I remember a few years ago when I was choosing between a 335, a 335is, and an M3; all great cars, with excellent engines and plenty of power (delivered in different ways). Someone on this board (or another board) pointed out that there was little rational, objective, practical justification to go to the higher, more powerful engine, be it a 550 instead of a 535, or an M5 vs. a 550; but rather this was a function of that trait in some of us to always want/ need the "best" or the "fastest" or the "biggest" - it is just in some of our natures. I will try to take a more meaningful drive in each car before making a final decision; but I am fairly certain that either the 640 or 650 would be great choices.

Thanks for your input.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2013, 05:09 AM   #5
needabeemer
Banned
Rep
Drives: ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishskis View Post

how old are you
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2013, 06:42 AM   #6
Bönz
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 540gone View Post
Also, due to the lower (higher numerical) final drive ratio in the 640 vs. the 650, my sense is that it makes the 2 cars pretty much indistinguishable at lower speeds, particularly around town.
While that's a nice notion, the empirical data would suggest otherwise. Note the table below. Both the Tu and pre-Tu equipped 650s produce over 1000 lb-ft of rear wheel torque more than the 640 in the first two gears and maintain a significant edge in third. This continues in the upper gears as well. Chart is RWD models.

Granted this simple calculation is at max torque (in the flat part of the curve) at WOT but it demonstrates that to get the same "feel" the driver of a 640 would be deeper into the throttle around town, even with the weight advantage.

To the OP. I too came from an M3. I went coupe to coupe, but I guess I fall in the category of needing the best. But I wouldn't say the best. I would say the most power. Both the 640 and 650 are pretty remarkable cars. But I just couldn't go from the M3's wonderful V8 to an I6. But that's just me. Overall I do agree with the points in the previous posts. It really comes down to personal preference (and budget assuming that's a concern).

What one drives from color of a given model to which model altogether is a complete personal choice. I know guys that can afford Ferraris and drive Denalis.

torque / trans 1,2,3 / final / RWT / wt / wt dist
640i
330 / 4.71 / 3.23 / 5020.4 / 4001 lbs / 51.2,48.8
330 / 3.14 / 3.23 / 3346.9
330 / 2.11 / 3.23 / 2249.0

650i (N63Tu)
480 / 4.71 / 2.81 / 6352.8 / 4275 lbs / 52.9,47.1
480 / 3.14 / 2.81 / 4235.2
480 / 2.11 / 2.81 / 2846.0

650i (N63)
450 / 4.71 / 3.15 / 6676.4 / 4275 lbs / 52.9,47.1
450 / 3.14 / 3.15 / 4451.0