BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

04-20-2016, 04:41 AM   #67
AceCobra1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: RX8, Alfa Romeo GTV, 640d GC

Hi Ninja. For me, personally, I dont want to pay more than £28k for the car which is why I am looking at higher mileage cars. Basically, with regards to the fiance company, I phoned them up. Basically, what will happen is the guy/ me can pay directly to the finance company then I can phone them back up again just to reconfirm that the fiance is cleared up.

I saw a similar car from where I am from which is in Glasgow.

https://www.gumtree.com/p/bmw/bmw-64...012/1162227554

Similar price, HPI clear but it is in blue and doesn't come with a sunroof lol. Thoughts ?

I emailed the guy yesterday and the car is still available after 20 days which leads me to believe that I can probably knock it down to £25k ?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2016, 02:00 PM   #68
Dandanbmw
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Bmw 640d M Sport

I bought my 12 plate 640d direct from Bmw where I bought my new 330d and yes I paid a little over the odds but it's well worth it in my opinion as if any little thing needed or big all I do is call them and they will sort it.

Mine is going in for service in a few weeks and I said I've got a little bubble on my roof strip and corrosion on my alloys and I am taking it to their body shop for them to photograph it to get permission to do it under warranty. So fingers crossed these items get sorted.
      04-21-2016, 01:39 AM   #69
NINJA59
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 640D GC and MX5 NC PRHT

I think personally by limiting it to £28K you are cutting yourself short and missing out on other cars. For reference I had two budget reviews (the first was fairly minor, the second was a different kettle of fish, but I ended up buying the dealership's brand manager's car).

It really is (as said above) worth looking within the BMW network and you may come across something which meets your requirements. I would also add you will save some money potentially as all AUC cars have a 12 month warranty , and whilst as not as comprehensive as a manufacturers one it is very similar to the extended ones at comprehensive level - bar the clutch facing.

"*The following are not covered by the BMW Approved Used Car Warranty: brake and clutch facings, discs and drums, bulbs (except Xenon), fuses, channels and guides, weather strips and seals, handles, hinges and check straps, trim upholstery and cosmetic finishes, wheels and tyres, wiper blades and arms, glass, auxiliary drive belts, coolant and fuel hoses, the cleaning and adjustment of any component and all service items or items that will require periodic replacement. Corrosion is also not covered by the warranty."

Furthermore, it also means you reduce the level of risk involved (I find the whole arrangement of you paying him or calling them direct over the finance highly risky).

The mineral white car needs minimum £300 spent on it (roughly speaking) to do the front pads, that is before anything else. Over the service pack you have not confirmed when the last service was or is due, if you are not careful then you will loose any opportunity to take advantage of the remaining period (of course some of that is also related to your expected mileage).

A further point you say the warranty on it ends in May, is the seller paying monthly or annually?

If the seller is paying monthly the mondial warranty cannot be transferred to a subsequent owner. If it is annual it can, when he says it ends in May it does point to an annual policy though.

If it is not, you could therefore be finding that you are paying out for the warranty far sooner than you expect.

The reason for the monthly one not transferring is it is a rolling policy where you just keep paying until you decide you do not need it.

Over the blue car, hmm, not bad not sure on the interior, but that is a personal choice. It looks fairly good and still has some manufacturers warranty left (albeit only until next month).

Edit:

Just had a look at the local AUC cars around £30-£32K, some with around 20K as opposed to 41K on the clock and a little bit younger. The £32K cars were late 2013/early 2014.

I do not want to sound harsh or mean in anyway, but I feel you are just not considering the overall picture of the car's costs, before you know it you could have spent nearly as much as an AUC one. This is one of the reasons linking back to my first statement about the second budget increase I went through as one of the late 2014 cars I looked at in good detail with only 20K on the clock was not far from new tyres being needed on the front (they still met the AUC requirements mind of 3mm) and a few other bits and when it really boiled down to it the car I have was a year younger with only 2K on the clock (he recently just glided through 5K on the clock incidentally!).

Last edited by NINJA59; 04-21-2016 at 01:52 AM..
Appreciate 1
      04-21-2016, 07:27 AM   #70
AceCobra1
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks Ninja for an indepth reply. I really appreciate it

The warranty does run out next month and I am looking to pay for an additional warranty - still not sure if I want to pay for the comprehensive or named component warranty. But lets assume I spend £1k on it.

The front pads need replacing £300 and rear pads needs replacing @ 4k miles £250

Will get it check over by BMW and according to Rufus, it is £100ish ?

The last had its oil and filter change @35k miles. I would say this will be my main car which I would likely do 7k for sure the next year. The service plan is included until next year so hopefully I can take advantage of it.

We also agree to transact in the BMW dealer so there will be CCTVs etc.

I phoned up the finance company yesterday and they said the settlement should be instant once he has paid, I can phone to confirm.

The reason why he wants me to pay into his account and then he him paying the finance off is because he is in negative equity.

So to summarize, this is what I will be paying

£150 - BMW check
£300 brake pads
£26k car
£1k - 1 year warranty

Total spent £27450

So that will get me a mechanically checked car (I will only part with the cash if there is minimal to no work obviously needing done), 1 year service included, 1 year warranty.

Pretty sure I have covered it at all angles - what are your thoughts ?
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2016, 11:25 AM   #71
Rufus123
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw 640

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceCobra1 View Post
Thanks Ninja for an indepth reply. I really appreciate it

The warranty does run out next month and I am looking to pay for an additional warranty - still not sure if I want to pay for the comprehensive or named component warranty. But lets assume I spend £1k on it.

The front pads need replacing £300 and rear pads needs replacing @ 4k miles £250

Will get it check over by BMW and according to Rufus, it is £100ish ?

The last had its oil and filter change @35k miles. I would say this will be my main car which I would likely do 7k for sure the next year. The service plan is included until next year so hopefully I can take advantage of it.

We also agree to transact in the BMW dealer so there will be CCTVs etc.

I phoned up the finance company yesterday and they said the settlement should be instant once he has paid, I can phone to confirm.

The reason why he wants me to pay into his account and then he him paying the finance off is because he is in negative equity.

So to summarize, this is what I will be paying

£150 - BMW check
£300 brake pads
£26k car
£1k - 1 year warranty

Total spent £27450

So that will get me a mechanically checked car (I will only part with the cash if there is minimal to no work obviously needing done), 1 year service included, 1 year warranty.

Pretty sure I have covered it at all angles - what are your thoughts ?
His reason still makes no sense

If it's negative equity, you pay the finance company direct the 26k and then pass the phone to him and then he pays the rest off, job done

What if you pay the money into his account and the bank puts a stop on his account for security reasons.... 26k going in and then straight out would be flagged up at most banks as money laundering I would imagine
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2016, 03:26 PM   #72
AceCobra1
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus123 View Post
His reason still makes no sense

If it's negative equity, you pay the finance company direct the 26k and then pass the phone to him and then he pays the rest off, job done

What if you pay the money into his account and the bank puts a stop on his account for security reasons.... 26k going in and then straight out would be flagged up at most banks as money laundering I would imagine
Sorry, I should have made it clear that he didn't specifically mention that I NEED to pay the cash into his account, I just wasn't sure if it is possible to "pay partially" to the existing finance

I need to phone the finance company up 2morow to see if it is possible
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2016, 04:14 PM   #73
Rufus123
Private First Class
Rep

Ah ok that would be much better then

Also, if you sure your going to buy it then Tell the dealer you'll get the pads done if they do a bit of a health check on the car on the day and save yourself the 100 squid. I bet you could get them to do the brakes for 300 and a free 10/20 min checkup on the car if you ask. last time mine was in for a tyre they included a video of any future issues and covered tyres, brakes, suspension and any fault codes logged in the last 12 months. It's in their interests as it's still in warranty so they will tell you if anything even close to being worn out. Just ask that they are really really strict and you'll get a nice picture of future repair costs if there are any.

The reason I said it was a 100/150 quid for a mechanic to look over the car is that the hourly rate is 100 - 150 and that's what they quote for owt

If your getting brakes done already they will do it free while it's up on the ramps having the brakes changed
Appreciate 1
      04-21-2016, 04:31 PM   #74
AceCobra1
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus123 View Post
If your getting brakes done already they will do it free while it's up on the ramps having the brakes changed
Once I pay for brake change that would be committing myself though

Do you think it would be possible to ask them for a health check, and if nothing is wrong then buy the car and pay for the brake change ? (and they will just charge me the £300) ? And of course if there is something very wrong then just pay them the £100 and walk away?

I am pretty sure they won't find anything major as the car is a AUC and was still under warranty
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2016, 04:40 PM   #75
Rufus123
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Once I pay for brake change that would be committing myself though

Do you think it would be possible to ask them for a health check, and if nothing is wrong then buy the car and pay for the brake change ? (and they will just charge me the £300) ? And of course if there is something very wrong then just pay them the £100 and walk away?

I am pretty sure they won't find anything major as the car is a AUC and was still under warranty
Seems reasonable enough, I'd be surprised if they said no, they make so much on the pad changes its still a killer deal for them
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2016, 04:44 PM   #76
AceCobra1
Private First Class
Rep

Just wondering, the guy said that the V5 log book that shows the original plate won't be available for me as it is currently on a private reg. It doesn't really affect the sale right? Just need to wait for a week then transfer ownership and get the V5 posted to me and put the original plates back on ?
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2016, 04:50 PM   #77
Rufus123
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Just wondering, the guy said that the V5 log book that shows the original plate won't be available for me as it is currently on a private reg. It doesn't really affect the sale right? Just need to wait for a week then transfer ownership and get the V5 posted to me and put the original plates back on ?
mate this guy sounds like a nightmare to deal with, his ad says HPI clear and it isn't, and now he can't give you the V5

Give it a miss mate, serious

If he was really selling he would have taken his reg off when he advertised it 3 weeks ago, there's something not right about this deal, I've never sold a car without taking my reg off it first ( and I've sold about 10 )

Some things are acceptable but when you get one dodge flag ( pay me first ) after another flag ( can't give you the v5 for a while ) ........ I'd stay well clear
Appreciate 1
      04-21-2016, 04:54 PM   #78
Rufus123
Private First Class
Rep

Considering his advert says this he is a total liar and not to be trusted

m advertising this car at a firm £25,995 for Forum members, which makes this the lowest-priced HPI-clear Gran Coupe currently advertised anywhere in the UK, and also one of the best-specced ones available!
In fact, I'm confident that there won't be another Gran Coup.........

------------

And then when you get in touch with him he tells you it's on finance and in negative equity and he wants you to pay him first and he promises he will pay the finance off, and post you the v5 ???

Haha

Pull the other one

He's having you on mate
Appreciate 1
      04-21-2016, 05:01 PM   #79
AceCobra1
Private First Class
Rep

Well, he is happy enough for me to phone up the finance company and he can pay the outstanding balance then I clear the rest with my card on the same call. We are doing it at a BMW dealership. With regards to the V5, he told me it is done online nowadays which I kinda know, then the original plates can be placed back for immediate use and be driven away. But to receive a new hard copy V5 in the post will take a few days which will be forwarded to me after signing it.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2016, 05:25 PM   #80
Rufus123
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Well, he is happy enough for me to phone up the finance company and he can pay the outstanding balance then I clear the rest with my card on the same call. We are doing it at a BMW dealership. With regards to the V5, he told me it is done online nowadays which I kinda know, then the original plates can be placed back for immediate use and be driven away. But to receive a new hard copy V5 in the post will take a few days which will be forwarded to me after signing it.
Ok, that sounds better, didn't know it was online now for changing plates etc, still sounds like a nightmare private sale, you ve got to ask why did he lie in his advert mate.... That's totally dishonest

Either way, when you buying it ?? Viewing it
Appreciate 1
      04-21-2016, 06:07 PM   #81
AceCobra1
Private First Class
Rep

Viewing it on Saturday - asked him why he didn't put the V5, he basically did the number plate changes online today I think and forgot that the V5 hardcopy isn't immediately online or something. Either way, he seemed genuine enough. Basically, assuming all goes well, he will produce an "invoice" with his passport and driving license probably with mine too in the a picture as evidence that the transaction did happen. Also, I guess the finance company will have my card details too so that will be extra reassurance. Plus this will be done at the dealership as you suggested which might be even more evidence
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2016, 12:30 AM   #82
NINJA59
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 640D GC and MX5 NC PRHT

I have to agree with Rufus this guy sounds a nightmare.

I think personally you are utterly silly going to view it. Please tell me you at least are well aware of the level of risk has increased by about 2 to 3 times.

I will just break it down into the various areas:

Finance
In honesty there is a risk of buying any car with outstanding finance and the risk is increased and more so with the number of cars on some form of finance. But, buying a car known to have negative equity and trusting someone you do not know and may not have enough to pay the outstanding balance after the car amount is pure crazy.

The advert states it is HPI clear, I will admit in the small print that it says it has finance, so completely undoing the above statement. Furthermore, the car is negative equity for goodness sake, the level of trust has already sunk even further. When you need someone to complete on an already risky sale that does not get off to a good start.

If it were me it would far easier to be up front listing the good and bad and under the bad state the car has finance and that the car is in negative equity. Sure it would put some people off, but at the same time it would stop people from putting more effort in only to go no once they found out the full picture.

Over claiming it is HPI clear well it is clearly over 26K shy from being that .

I have to also admit thinking about why he is selling it privately, as in some cases it would be easier for him to flog it back to BMWFS, but no doubt the settlement will be higher. Long term it would probably be easier for the seller to keep it and run it longer to lower the finance, but the risk there is the car depreciates faster and he just wants out.

===================================
Servicing

Basing it on your statements of it being serviced at 35K this would make sense as the service is about every 18.5K or two years. However, based on your information of doing 7K* you will not make the final service in time prior to the service pack ceasing to apply to the car (unless you possibly ragged it everywhere, but even then chances are unlikely).

If you said to me 9K-10K it brings you much closer to possibly managing to squeeze the 3rd service in as BMW will allow you to service under the service pack up to 1K prior to it being due. On the old version of the service pack because it was 60K not 50K you had the chance of getting the 3rd service included based on mileage, timescales would never get you there.On the new pack it ensures it is only two services not three. Looks better in advertising obviously saying it is 5 years or 50K, not 3 years or 37K (which for many it would probably really come down to)....

On the brakes front the 535D for pads is £297 fitted (including sensors etc.) so the 6 should be the same as the components are the same, although I doubt that sometimes because there maybe a 6 tax....rear pads are £213 fitted (including sensors etc.). Looking at these costs they are making about £80 - £90 in labour for the front. The rears are a little more healthy at £100 (and considering some of these cars like rear pads not bad business). I would take this opportunity to say Mazda make even more on pad changes than BMW!

Vehicle checks based on within the CBS are showing as £69, hopefully you could ask for something like that if you decided to proceed with this mad purchase.

=======================================
Over the warranty are you sure the current warranty will continue to apply?

Furthermore is it "full fat" everything version?

=======================================
Over the the whole V5 thing simply jesus. At least it will get rid of the illegally spaced private plate.

===============================

For me as said above I would not even go and view it there is way to greater risk involved with this potential sale which is not made clear in the advert. Over the brakes he has at least said the rears need changing, but the fronts I would have also said need doing.

I would have been on the AUC network ages ago after considering this car...little more money, but much less risk involved**.

* If you are only doing 7K a year why are you looking at a 640D? Surely it would be better going petrol, you are not anywhere near breaking even on the fuel costs (I know if you wanted a 6 the main problem there is finding an "i" in the UK).

** I know many BMW dealers use stocking finance from BMW, but they have no interest in the car from that point of view it only helps getting units shifted. Always worth checking though (and that under AUC the car has to have been cleared and proven to by the dealership).

Last edited by NINJA59; 04-22-2016 at 12:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2016, 05:28 AM   #83
AceCobra1
Private First Class
Rep

I appreciate your concerns guys. I really like this forum - a lot more helpful than the RX8 forum I was at

Anyway, I just phoned up the finance company. I have been reassured by the guy I spoke to - thats the number I got from the HPI that is. Anyway I was asking him what the best way to do this trasnaction:

Basically, the first thing is that they don't need to be informed that he is selling the car as long as they get the final balance settled. He then said that the best way is for him to pay the shortfall FIRST, then I can pay the £26k or whatever via bank transfer to the fiance company's account. Once they get the monies (which will normally be instant/ about 30 minutes), they can send a confirmation email to both of us to let us know the HPI is clear. Should there be any problems with the V5 etc, the finance company can REFUND me the monies (obviously after checks etc.) So I think it seems safe. The guy I spoke to on the phone seems to think it will be OK as they will refund me the monies if there was a scam etc.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2016, 01:28 PM   #84
Rufus123
Private First Class
Rep

Did you end up buying it ??
Appreciate 1
      04-23-2016, 03:57 PM   #85
AceCobra1
Private First Class
Rep

I did. Just in the restaurant at the moment Will do a full post later ko
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2016, 03:58 PM   #86
Rufus123
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I did. Just in the restaurant at the moment Will do a full post later ko
Well done mate, nothing better than a new car day !!

Enjoy
Appreciate 1