BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

01-29-2014, 12:41 PM   #1
sagerstner
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 M3

New 2013 650i Nightmare

New 2013 650i Nightmare

Any thoughts on how to proceed at this point? Do I hand this over to my attorney or wait until the Lemon Laws officially kick in?

2013 650i purchased (and always serviced) by BMW of Dallas 4 months ago. List of problems since~

• Before the vehicle had 200 miles, my car was in for repairs. The air conditioning was only blowing hot engine air. According to to the service records, it required replacement wiring as the unit was not properly installed at the factory. Would rear it's ugly head again 6 weeks later....

• Within 2 weeks my vehicle was back in for service as my steering was completely off. The car was pulling very hard to the left and, in order for the vehicle to drive straight, I had to have the steering wheel turned 20 degrees to the left.

• The last few days of November, I noticed that the air conditioning was blowing hot engine air. This was the exact same problem I had the vehicle in for the first time. I was informed that the wiring showed rodent chew marks under the vehicle. I was also told that these same chew marks were seen when the vehicle was in immediately after the car was purchased. However, they repaired the a/c the first time using the "wiring harness not connected at factory problem" remarks to get the problem covered by warranty. This was never communicated to me by the SA (who has since been fired) as I would have been very outspoken about having a brand new vehicle with wiring problems caused by rodent damage. The 650i was at the dealership for repair for ~ 10 days . The dealership repaired the damage and ate the associated costs. At this point, the vehicle has under 2k miles and I had been in a loaner for several weeks.

• Since December 16, 2013, the iDrive low oil light (add 1 quart) warning has appeared twice. I have topped off the oil in vehicle myself and the second time it occurred was when my car was in for service yesterday. The vehicle currently has less than 3,200 miles. The 650i is burning a disproportionate amount of oil and a there is excessive soot on the passenger side exhaust tip.

• For the last month, the vehicle has been occasionally hard to start, hesitant and jerking with taking off and horribly jerky in sport and sport+ mode (in both warm and cold weather). On 2 separate occasions, I have put the 650i in reverse to back up and the car would shake and the drivetrain malfunction iDrive message would appear. Upon turning off the 650i and restarting it, the message would disappear and the car would operate. The most recent occurrence was last Thursday ( January 23), and the vehicle was locked in “Comfort Mode”, unable to switch to sport or sport+.

• On 3 separate occasions (the most recent occurrence was this morning), my vehicle has failed to recognize when my key is inside the car and/or to unlock my vehicle when I am at the door.

• Low tire pressure warning light going off and on for all 4 tires at the same time.

• On January 3, while driving down the freeway at 70 MPH in traffic, I heard a horrible scratching sound from under the vehicle and could see sparks under the car. The metal shield under the vehicle was not attached properly when the air conditioning was worked on. The metal piece had become detached and was scraping the ground while driving. I immediately drove the vehicle to the dealership where the car was lifted and the piece was re-attached.

BMWNA opened a case to repurchase the vehicle at the end of November because of the problems I had with the A/C. BMWNA informed me today to go pound sand....

I would appreciate any insight anyone can provide. I have enjoyed driving all of my other BMWs and it would be nice to put this behind me and get to enjoy the car as it should be.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2014, 04:47 PM   #2
WWnyc
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014. 640 ix Vert

Garage List
While I have nothing specific to offer but massive sympathy, your salesperson (and his/her manager) should be "discussing" this with BMWNA daily and doing everything they can to make you happy(er).
Was your's a Monday morning build after a holiday weekend?
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2014, 05:39 PM   #3
quitethesnapper
bimmerlover
Canada
Rep
Drives: the panzer

Is the dealer on the same page as you? They have to fight for you. This situation will not be fixed overnight. I would trade the car in immediately and try to minimize the hit you will indeed have to take. That would be the quick fix. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2014, 05:59 PM   #4
neversummer78
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4 wheels....

I had similar problem on my car, drivetrain malfunction and excessive engine oil consumption. BMW NA finally got everything fixed for me, at least for now, as of October 2013. I had my case open with BMW NA since March 2013, and I was ignored for a long time until I finally started screaming and became very vocal about my issues. My 2nd last dealer visit, I was told by SA that they reprogrammed the ECU (I guess to make it compatible with gas here in the States), but it is not on the work order they gave me. They have two work orders, one that they keep with all the detail, and another that they give to customer base only on what they want to inform.

By the way, you might want to visit different dealership and call BMW NA to have them formally introduce you to SA in the next dealership you are going to. The dealership I bought the car from was not taking me seriously on my issues, so I switch to another one. I finally got my car fixed at the BMW dealership in San Francisco, ~400 miles from the dealership I bought my car from. Apparently, there are many BMW dealers that hired unskilled service technicians.

I had experience with repurchase once on my 2012 ML350 Bluetec. From what I understand is that in order to qualify the car as lemon, the problem that you are experiencing has to be directly on the drivetrain (engine, transmission, brake, differential, etc) of the vehicle. Basically, anything that moves and stops the car and can compromise your safety. Anyway, the truck I had was quite a looker, but it was a $75k rolling trash bin that almost got me killed on many occasions. MB USA agreed to buy it back after nine months since I had my case opened. I documented everything on photos and videos, and I did not need help from any sleezy lemon car attorney.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2014, 01:18 AM   #5
M3_WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

As far as burning oil. It is a common occurrence. These motors could need a quart of oil as often as every 2,000 miles. M motors burn oil even quicker.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2014, 10:09 AM   #6
M5poe
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 V10 All Black

my advise call BMW NA every single day. thats what i did.
Try to find a solid account manager that manages your account and drive her crazy call every single day and cry for help, trust me it works. you have to be consistent demand a new car or a refund and threaten to bring a lemon lawyer.

don't give up they will fold
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2014, 12:42 PM   #7
neversummer78
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_WC View Post
As far as burning oil. It is a common occurrence. These motors could need a quart of oil as often as every 2,000 miles. M motors burn oil even quicker.
My first top off was at 1300 miles, and 2nd was at 2500 miles.

http://www.6post.com/forums/showthre...r78+engine+oil

However, it doesn't do that any more.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2014, 01:10 PM   #8
BMWMilan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by neversummer78 View Post
My first top off was at 1300 miles, and 2nd was at 2500 miles.

http://www.6post.com/forums/showthre...r78+engine+oil

However, it doesn't do that any more.
Yeah, no kidding.

Ever since my first oil change at about 9k (because I don't drive enough in a given calendar year), there's been no oil consumption. Still one long big green stick. And it's been about 5k since my first service.

Before that, it was drinking oil like a fish in water.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2014, 03:28 PM   #9
zoltans4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '14 650 coupe

how much is your time worth?

Its really become common place these days that everyone will tell you no and pound sand, and then you get an attorney and all of the sudden its a different story. Attorney fees to just send a letter and make a phone call for you would be all of a couple hundred dollars. Otherwise I feel your going to be ranting for quite some time getting the run around. The immediate solution is trade it or sell it.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2014, 06:53 PM   #10
neversummer78
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipsedixit View Post
Yeah, no kidding.

Ever since my first oil change at about 9k (because I don't drive enough in a given calendar year), there's been no oil consumption. Still one long big green stick. And it's been about 5k since my first service.

Before that, it was drinking oil like a fish in water.
Congrats!
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2014, 08:26 PM   #11
wzj519
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 COMP PKG

I add first time oil was at 5000kms
Since the oil change at 9500kms right now it is 15000 i did not add any oil yet.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2014, 08:50 PM   #12
wzj519
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 COMP PKG

I add first time oil was at 5000kms
Since the oil change at 9500kms right now it is 15000 i did not add any oil yet.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2014, 07:15 AM   #13
mrjoed2
Banned
Rep
Drives: '14 650 M Sport Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoltans4 View Post
how much is your time worth?

Its really become common place these days that everyone will tell you no and pound sand, and then you get an attorney and all of the sudden its a different story. Attorney fees to just send a letter and make a phone call for you would be all of a couple hundred dollars. Otherwise I feel your going to be ranting for quite some time getting the run around. The immediate solution is trade it or sell it.
Sure selling or trading is a easy solution, but if the car is only a year or so old in this case - do you know the loss he would take? Why let BMW off the hook that easily and take a financial beating. And would YOU want to disclose to prospective buyers these serious problems?
I say fight it all the way. That why we have a warranty/lemon laws right?
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2014, 08:01 AM   #14
MiamiBMW80
Rep
Drives: X5 Msport 50

Tell your service manager you no longer feel confident in driving this vehicle and you want a trade assist or you will seek legal council to help you with a lemon law suit. Be nice and courteous if you can muster the patience. Your Ac issue should be grounds for a trade assist. I believe the rule is. 2 weeks for one specific issue and one attempt to fix. As soon as you brought back for Ac issue again your elihabke for a lemon. Also if your car is in the shop for a cumalitaive 30 days...Florida law at least. Good luck my friend, patience is key. I just had to quote in quote trade assist my 2013 x5 50xi msport mperformance due to a problem with the 4 wheel drive transfer case. Now I'm driving 2014 650 msport so worth the aggravation and driving a 328 for a month.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2014, 12:59 PM   #15
zoltans4
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjoed2 View Post
Sure selling or trading is a easy solution, but if the car is only a year or so old in this case - do you know the loss he would take? Why let BMW off the hook that easily and take a financial beating. And would YOU want to disclose to prospective buyers these serious problems?
I say fight it all the way. That why we have a warranty/lemon laws right?
of a whole paragraph telling him to contact a lawyer to simply draw him up a letter for almost no money to support his case and move forward, you want to talk about the last 9 word sentence? OK
Lets say he actually has a job and makes decent money, he is spending all day on the phone, at the dealership and writing letters. What is the loss there? 2014 used cars are going listing for about $79. On a $95k MSRP after a full year he could have $15 easily paid off which puts him out about $5-6k of a loss, which unless he kept the car for a while would be the same year after year.
Why does that mean you are letting BMW off the hook or you have to disclose anything? You trade it in the same dealership, make them put full money into it and sell you something else into all the hold back plus incentive. Lemon laws and such aren't really set in stone laws and are actually reserved for serious problems. Do I think the OP is getting hosed? yes. Do I think this qualifies as a lemon? No. But thats where the law part comes in. To BMW to take the car = a loss of 'x'. They don't see the actally problem with the car meeting a level of issue to be taken back. A potential lawsuit now gives BMW a loss = 'x+lawsuit'...
Again, bang your head against the door all you want or get a $100 letter written
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2014, 01:39 PM   #16
mrjoed2
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoltans4 View Post
of a whole paragraph telling him to contact a lawyer to simply draw him up a letter for almost no money to support his case and move forward, you want to talk about the last 9 word sentence? OK
Lets say he actually has a job and makes decent money, he is spending all day on the phone, at the dealership and writing letters. What is the loss there? 2014 used cars are going listing for about $79. On a $95k MSRP after a full year he could have $15 easily paid off which puts him out about $5-6k of a loss, which unless he kept the car for a while would be the same year after year.
Why does that mean you are letting BMW off the hook or you have to disclose anything? You trade it in the same dealership, make them put full money into it and sell you something else into all the hold back plus incentive. Lemon laws and such aren't really set in stone laws and are actually reserved for serious problems. Do I think the OP is getting hosed? yes. Do I think this qualifies as a lemon? No. But thats where the law part comes in. To BMW to take the car = a loss of 'x'. They don't see the actally problem with the car meeting a level of issue to be taken back. A potential lawsuit now gives BMW a loss = 'x+lawsuit'...
Again, bang your head against the door all you want or get a $100 letter written
Well, all I can say if if you think all the issues the OP has had with this vehicle don't qualify for lemon law status , I'm not sure what does.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2014, 03:28 PM   #17
zoltans4
Private First Class
Rep

Why? for a few electrical issues and a bunch of dealership mistakes?
Look at it from both sides of the coin. If you make and sell cars and give them warranties and loaners, why is there such a problem? From BMW perspective he is under warranty, the car gets worked on free of charge and the customer is in a loaner car.
Although I feel sorry for the OP and his inconvenience, this is very very far from a lemon. I can for days of stories of cars in the shop, its part of the business. My friends Maybach spends 4 weeks a year in the dealership. You need faulty drivetrain issues that become an ongoing issue for BMW to help you.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2014, 08:38 PM   #18
mrjoed2
Banned
Rep

Untrue. Under Florida law at least, if a vehicle under warranty goes into the dealership for the same problem certain number of times or is out of service for X number of days, it qualified under our lemon law. What a car makers would like to do and what the law is are 2 very different things. And it certainly does not have to be a drivetrain issue to qualify for lemon status.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2014, 01:57 PM   #19
zoltans4
Private First Class
Rep

care to share your source and a link? I don't think a LAW was put into place for the consumer that the car manufacture doesn't have to follow
Appreciate 0