BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

04-19-2023, 02:24 PM   #1
TGrits10
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 650i GC

Door Speaker Access/Replacement

I seem to have a blown speaker in the LR door, pretty sure it's the mid based on frequencies involved, but anyway: Can I access it without removing the whole door panel? From the realoem diagram It looks like in order for the speaker cover to come off, you have to remove the window switches panel and some other trim in there, but it's unclear how exactly they're secured, i.e. if they can be pried out from the front or if you need access to the rear. Anyone got any insight on how it all goes together?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2023, 12:03 AM   #2
SWFLf10
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Alpina B6, 2015 535i

Garage List
I know on every BMW I’ve owned, you have to remove the door panel and remove the speaker from the rear.

Should be able to find a YouTube video showing the replacement of those speakers and follow along.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2023, 08:04 AM   #3
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

Yes, you have to remove the door panel. That's true on virtually any car. Door panels are not difficult to remove, but you need to know where any hidden screws are, and then you need to know what it latches into or over so you know whether to pull out, or up and out, etc. Watch a YouTube video. You can usually find one for a stereo installation or window glass or door handle replacement. On a BMW, the driver's door and passenger door come off differently because there are screws inside the door pull on the passenger side, and that pull does not exist on the driver's side. Honestly, the hardest parts is disconnecting everything once you are awkwardly holding the panel in mid-air.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2023, 08:06 AM   #4
Opie55
Colonel
Rep

I see now it's a rear door. They will be the same on each side.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2023, 11:07 AM   #5
RJV3
Customize Everything!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 F06 Gran Coupe/ 16 F10 535

I actually have the same question Oppie.
The YouTube video I found removing the front passenger door panel is from an M6. The bimmer tech alpha one speakers were being installed and is on their website.
For the rear speakers, I’d like to know exactly how and where to pry. I have the powered sunshades on rear deck and doors and curious show to remove the panel without damaging anything.

When I installed my bavsound speakers on my 5, the door panels were not difficult to remove. But it’s a good idea to buy extras plastic clips as the prongs can be damaged easily.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2023, 07:59 AM   #6
Opie55
Colonel
Rep

Here is how you do it. There are no screws at all. Raise your shade all the way. Grab the rod and rotate it 90 degrees counterclockwise to unlatch it at the bottom. Remove the rod and the guide thing at the top. Lower the shade. The rest is all clips so you need a good plastic pry tool.

There are 6 rectangular clips evenly spaced along the top edge of the panel. Pop those off first. Then there are 12 of the typical round clips around the sides and and bottom of the panel. 10 are evenly spaced near the panel edge. Two are located near each other inboard from the rear of the panel maybe four inches "southeast" of the door lock button. The last step is the only slightly tricky part. There are two more clips that you cannot see located one on each side of where you put your hand to pull the door closed. But you cannot pull straight out. Grab the door panel with one hand at the top edge and the other hand in the map pocket. Flex the door panel out top and bottom enough so the clips all clear their holes. Then give a quick pull straight up. When you reassemble, you can just snap those two last clips straight in, but to remove them you have to lift straight up.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2023, 02:11 PM   #7
TGrits10
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie55 View Post
Raise your shade all the way. Grab the rod and rotate it 90 degrees counterclockwise to unlatch it at the bottom. Remove the rod and the guide thing at the top. Lower the shade.

I'm having a hard time picturing this, sounds like the rod used to push the shade up comes out, but also something at the top of the shade? And then to reassemble, is it just re-insert the rod and turn 90 deg clockwise to lock it in?

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=51_8663
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2023, 02:19 PM   #8
Opie55
Colonel
Rep

The rod has two small flat spots in it on opposite sides near the bottom. When you rotate/twist the shaft 90 degrees it releases those flats from whatever they snap into. Then you remove the long thing at the top of the shade that the rod pushes up on, then remove the rod.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2023, 03:15 PM   #9
TGrits10
Private First Class
Rep

Ah OK so essentially it's popping the rod out of its sockets at either end and sliding it out, since the rod would otherwise get in the way of removing the door panel? That's not so bad, I had gotten the impression from somewhere that removing the door panel was much more complicated with the sunshade.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2023, 04:30 PM   #10
Opie55
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGrits10 View Post
Ah OK so essentially it's popping the rod out of its sockets at either end and sliding it out, since the rod would otherwise get in the way of removing the door panel? That's not so bad, I had gotten the impression from somewhere that removing the door panel was much more complicated with the sunshade.
Yes, that's the basic idea. Looks pretty simple. I assume the rod goes through the panel so you can't pull the panel off with the rod there. But you'd know better than I since I don't have a GC.
Appreciate 0