BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

04-23-2010, 06:32 AM   #1
Mark
Administrator
Rep
Drives: 1M

Garage List
Exclamation BMW Concept Gran Coupe Wallpapers and Information Thread

BIMMERPOST NEWS
World Premiere in Beijing: The BMW Concept Gran Coupe
COMMENTS
Name:  grancoupe1.jpg
Views: 66350
Size:  97.7 KB

• New BMW Design concept aimed at giving direction to future BMW design trends in the midsize and premium markets
  • The underlying theme is the most sporty and elegant high performance 4-door on the market
  • Flat and coupe like proportions
  • Over 16 feet long (5 meters)
  • 4.6 ft tall (1.4 meters) [this is 3" lower then a 5 series]
  • Frameless Windows
  • LED Detailing
My Take on this car. I have to say I'm blown away. This is an extremly sleek car and in production ready form. It seems to be a Mercedes Benz CLS competitor but with much sleeker proportions and generally more refined with a keen attention to detail.

The vast majority of the really stunning detail of the BMW Concept CS have been translated over to this car including the highly modern tailights which have been integrated well with the now standard BMW trunk design. The side character line and rear 1/4 panel is PURE 5 series and that is a good thing, as when you see that car in person it just stands out and is mean.

From the front angle, what can be said, this is near perfection. Its highly elegant and agressive at the same time, mixing in refined elements such as 7-series like headlamps (that has a new sharper twist) with the pure agression of those wide gaping concept CS brake duct vents. LED foglamps and bezeled detailing in the ducts adds a very nice element of premium to the car.

From the straight front angle, it seems we are looking directly in the eyes of the upcoming BMW 6-Series just as the BMW Z9 concept fortold the current generation 6-series. I would hope the rear follows suit as well

PRESS RELEASE + Expand

Munich. With an exclusive Design Night on the evening of the first press day at Auto China in Beijing (April 23rd to May 2nd 2010), BMW provides an in-depth insight into its design philosophy and development strategy. The program of the BMW Design Night is modular in structure and presents extensive background information on the premium automobile manufacturer’s innovative design culture. In addition to highlighting the long versions of the BMW 5 Series developed specially for the Chinese market, the main focus is on an elegant 4-door vehicle with striking dynamic proportions: the BMW Concept Gran Coupé.

The concept study on display symbolises the outstanding design expertise of BMW. The BMW Concept Gran Coupé concentrates the fundamental values of the brand. Its body design authentically captures a sense of superior dynamic performance and high-quality elegance. The shaping style, which follows a coherent pattern down to the last detail, convincingly visualises BMW’s philosophy as an automobile manufacturer. As with the Concept CS 2007, BMW once again sets new benchmarks in the design of 4-door coupes with a distinctive sporty character.

Based on a powerful tradition in this segment, the BMW Concept Gran Coupé carries the essence of brand values and the genes of BMW design into the future. The concept shows the classic features of all BMW coupes: the long wheelbase, the vaulted bonnet with forward-pointing lines, the set-back greenhouse, the flat silhouette, the coupe-style roof line and the short front overhang reflect the dynamic potential of the vehicle. The surface structures and the fact that the design quality is geared towards perfection illustrate the aspiration of the brand BMW to build 4-door high-performance coupes with the sportiest proportions and the most elegant design.

In the BMW Concept Gran Coupé, BMW presents the vision of a 4-door vehicle which combines the exclusivity of a Gran Turismo with the fascination of a high-performance sports car. The design of the concept study underscores the expertise of the brand BMW in the development of vehicles with a distinctive sporty character which offer space for more than two occupants. This reflects the particular quality of the BMW Group design philosophy, which consists in precisely and authentically translating the specific values of product substance into an aesthetically convincing shaping style. The design process is set through with a passion for aesthetic appeal and dynamic performance, precision and perfection. This is how the uncompromising premium aspiration of a BMW Group product, the unmistakable style of the brand BMW and the precisely defined character of each model are given concrete form.

The body design of the BMW Concept Gran Coupé expresses sporty flair in its ultimate form. The 4-door vehicle clearly signals the very highest level of dynamic performance with its extremely elegant, flat and coupe-like proportions. Stretching the entire length of the vehicle and therefore measuring almost 5 metres, flowing lines dominate the design, giving rise to outstanding aerodynamic levels, just as the low centre of gravity reflects an agile driving response.

The front section is defined by the BMW kidney grille characteristic of the brand - an icon of body design which is not just central but also a dominating element of front design. The kidney grille of the BMW Concept Gran Coupé has a flat appearance, with an asymmetrical side view which emphasises the close attention to detail. The central section with the kidney grille is formally separated from other BMW icons such as the headlights and air inlets. The clarity of the LED front lights highlights the vehicle’s precision and premium aspirations. The air inlet runs back an extremely long way into the side section, making the front section appear particularly wide. All elements of the front section appear to merge to form a single, elegantly curved movement.

The sporty, flat silhouette provides an impressive body height of just under 1.40 metres. This makes the BMW Concept Gran Coupé up to 100 millimetres flatter than the BMW 5 Series or the BMW 7 Series Sedan. The roof line tapers off gently into the rear, thereby elongating the vehicle's proportions. The forward-tilted shark nose visually extends the bonnet and creates characteristic BMW proportions with its forward-pointing dynamism. This stretched character is also highlighted by the side lines, where there is a deliberate avoidance of the typical sill line. The flat proportions make the window graphics appear extremely narrow and dynamic at the same time. Another BMW design icon, the Hofmeister kink, is especially strikingly formed - additionally emphasising the exclusive character of the vehicle. The frameless doors give the BMW Concept Gran Coupé a modern character since the glass surfaces appear to merge seamlessly without being interrupted by columns.

At the rear, only design elements such as the lights and tailpipe trim appear to be visible at first sight. The entire rear section appears slimmer and lighter at the centre, though still exuding power and dynamic performance since the volume is reinforced towards the sides. The L-shaped light banks feature a slight, almost subtle curve and the entire design of the lines and surfaces highlights the vehicle’s elegant overall appearance. The third brake light, positioned in the rear window, is also fitted with LED technology. It takes up the kink in the roof and illuminates the entire width of the rear window. The powerfully flared wheel arches above the rear axle highlight the particularly sporty character of the BMW Concept Gran Coupé.

Another highly sporty and also elegant feature is the rim concept in which the individual spokes extend deep into the centre of the rim towards the hub, giving the rim a striking three-dimensional quality. The spokes themselves are not solid but relief-milled, giving them a visual lightness.

The sculptural shaping style characteristic of the entire body design of the BMW Concept Gran Coupé permits a unique interaction between concave and convex surfaces. It also enables the light to be selectively reflected and channelled. Thus the exterior mirrors integrated in the window shaft appear very light, blending harmoniously into the side view since their shape assimilates the entire line styling. The BMW Concept Gran Coupé is a further development of the classic design of a notchback sedan in which the individual body sections merge harmoniously into a flat, elongated and at the same time dynamic overall image. The effect of this 4-door vehicle derives not just from specific highlights but from its overall appearance, which authentically reflects its character. The car’s dynamic potential is embodied in its proportions and lines, signalling power but also elegance and forward thrust.

BMW 6-Series Gran Coupe Concept

&quot

BMW 6-Series Gran Coupe Videos

Rumors / Additional Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott26

Per : http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...77#post7182477

The BMW Gran Coupe has been approved for production , the frameless windows will remain but the car still maintains a B-Pillar for Dynamic finesse.

The BMW Gran Coupe will be marketed as the... BMW 6er Gran Coupe.
Gran Coupe brings a new segment to BMW's portfolio and will spread to include other BMW models in the Future, just like Gran Turismo will.
This will bring a portfolio of three variants to the 6er , Coupe , Gran Coupe and Cabrio.

A Shooting Brake model to accompany the Gran Coupe has been designed and built for design and market evaluation.

The BMW Concept Gran Coupe will make it's European public debut later this year at the Paris Auto Show incidentally alongside another BMW Concept Car that will debut @ Paris.

The visual details of the front and rear of the Gran Coupe will be carried over to the new 6er Coupe.

04-23-2010, 07:14 AM   #2
Zirenz2006
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Comp IOMG

Absolutely Stunning!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2010, 07:16 AM   #3
Zunkung
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 318ise

Holli mothe* f*ckin shitttt!!!!!!

I'm in loveeee!!!!! This thing is jusss "BEAUTIFUL" "BEAUTIFUL" "BEAUTIFUL".

Appreciate 0
      04-23-2010, 07:18 AM   #4
Matski
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: A slow BMW

I think wer're looking at the face of the new 6er here guys...

... and please ...

... for the love of god ...

... in the name of everything that is sane ...

BMW, MAKE THIS CAR!
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2010, 07:21 AM   #5
BGM
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F20 M140i

coupe with 4 doors... interesting naming
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2010, 07:22 AM   #6
boymonkey
Lieutenant
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: slow

I like.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2010, 07:26 AM   #7
m///power4999
Rep
Drives: Black E46

Panamera bye bye .... one of the most beautiful concept of the bmw
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2010, 07:27 AM   #8
OverDrive
CHEAT TO WIN!!
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, 718 GT4

I bet the F12 6-series will look very close to this!!
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2010, 07:32 AM   #9
Turbo Squid
Model
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast and Loud

Garage List
If the 6'er does look like this, then I'm surely going to opt for the M6 rather than the M5.
      04-23-2010, 07:36 AM   #10
minicrazy592
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E91 328i RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matski View Post
I think wer're looking at the face of the new 6er here guys...

... and please ...

... for the love of god ...

... in the name of everything that is sane ...

BMW, MAKE THIS CAR!
+1

I think we should be on the look out for test mules soon. This concept seems way too tame for a non production ready concept IMO.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2010, 07:44 AM   #11
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
Yeah it's very sleek, but when you look at the silhouette you see how low the roof line is which makes you wonder how realistic is this? Will the back seats be useable or a bad joke for your adult passengers?
      04-23-2010, 07:45 AM   #12
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

OMG, I can't believe it. Porsche Panamera, Aston Martin Rapide, Lamborghini Estoque, Mercedes CLS and Audi A7 are owned. MTF. BMW = WIN. Just name the new 1 Series M an "M1" and BMW = FULL WIN. It 100 times better than BMW CS Concept. Holy Cow.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2010, 07:46 AM   #13
palpatine_us
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535i

This is what the 5er should've looked like- give me this sedan with a M package- I'm done.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2010, 07:48 AM   #14
Matski
Captain
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by minicrazy592 View Post
+1

I think we should be on the look out for test mules soon. This concept seems way too tame for a non production ready concept IMO.
Well, if anything it would be the 6GT, I guess?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2010, 07:50 AM   #15
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Give me this with M version of TT V12 from 760i F01.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2010, 07:52 AM   #16
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

This is the future BMW 6 GC.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2010, 07:55 AM   #17
blue2fire
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Looks like i did well by registering grancoupe.com

BMW CCA
Member #420568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Murray View Post
Being a fan of Honda engines, I requested that they consider building for the F1 a 4.5 liter V10 or V12. I asked, I tried to persuade them, but in the end could not convince them to do it, and the McLaren F1 ended up with a BMW engine.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2010, 07:58 AM   #18
Matski
Captain
England
Rep

Where is SCOTT when you need him Give us hope!
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2010, 08:00 AM   #19
cipher5
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Donington Grey X3M Comp

WOW!!!!! I want one, I want one I want one!!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2010, 08:00 AM   #20
keanu1
tiamat
Romania
Rep
Drives: 525 d

This is the 6 series !!
This is perfect!
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2010, 08:00 AM   #21
Kiemyster
Bimmerpost Resident Marijuana Consultant
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: 320i, 325xi, 335Xi, 335i, M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2fire View Post
Looks like i did well by registering grancoupe.com
seriously? well done if they want it. it would be a waste if they didnt. I love this, but i still want to see something like the CS come about too... the interior in that was jaw dropping.

This looks like a very realstic car, nothing extreme about it and i can see it going into production very easily... there is nothing radical about this car that makes it "dangerous" to introduce. its all win.

well done bmw, well done. just try and make the ass of it look a little more sharp and aggressive and we're game!
      04-23-2010, 08:00 AM   #22
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 19 Tacoma, 16 Golf wagon

Garage List
that is an interesting design. it would appear that BMW will borrow some of the stuff from this car for future existing models. Well, gotta hand it to Bayerische Motoren Werke
Appreciate 0