BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

08-19-2013, 02:01 PM   #23
F12M6MD
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Rivian R1T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic55
Ok I was going to get the AMS catted this week and I too have the Full Meister Exhaust (header back)... but no power gains are slightly concerning along with this rattle bull shit.
Hey Vic,

I wish it wasn't so. Hunter and I will keep you all posted.

Mark
      08-19-2013, 03:09 PM   #24
greentrbo95gst
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 M5 Comp

Does the rattle only happen with the catted ones?
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2013, 03:21 PM   #25
Hunter5179
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M6 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic55 View Post
Ok I was going to get the AMS catted this week and I too have the Full Meister Exhaust (header back)... but no power gains are slightly concerning along with this rattle bull shit.
Not sure on the negligible power gains reported but we will have some closure either tomorrow or Wednesday on this wastegate rattle... I will also dyno my car to see what the DP's have done to my car. I'll report back in a couple days.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2013, 04:17 PM   #26
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter5179 View Post
Not sure on the negligible power gains reported but we will have some closure either tomorrow or Wednesday on this wastegate rattle... I will also dyno my car to see what the DP's have done to my car. I'll report back in a couple days.

Thanks, look forward the results...
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Suzuka Gray
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2013, 06:36 PM   #27
F12M6MD
Lieutenant
Rep

Cold Start

I was able to capture a cold start with my iPhone from about 6 feet away. Please excuse the video edit.

Mark

08-19-2013, 07:01 PM   #28
Hunter5179
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

If that was mine I would be all good. U should record with the driver door open and put the mic on the ground right under the driver and give it some gas so we can hear it decel a few times. If you don't hear it there and it's not loud then I think your fine. Regardless tomorrow we will get some closure hopefully. I love the way the DP's made my exhaust sound....its insane.. super exotic.

Last edited by Hunter5179; 08-19-2013 at 07:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2013, 11:58 PM   #29
delano
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 M6 F12 & 2013 Rover S/C

I have zero rattle with my stock exhaust and my top is always down so id hear it for sure. Im curious too what would be causing it for some.

After driving it for a few days now, I definitely feel the power increase in the mid RPMs too. The improved sound is really a big plus also, it's got a smooth rumble and then gets a little nasty when you really get on it
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2013, 12:38 AM   #30
RiverRunner
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 Gran Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by delano View Post
I have zero rattle with my stock exhaust and my top is always down so id hear it for sure. Im curious too what would be causing it for some.

After driving it for a few days now, I definitely feel the power increase in the mid RPMs too. The improved sound is really a big plus also, it's got a smooth rumble and then gets a little nasty when you really get on it
Is there any annoying resonance at highway speed RPMs? 1500-2500RPM?
2019 Porsche 911 Turbo 991.2
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2013, 06:37 PM   #31
Hunter5179
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Ok so I went to AMS and they poked around a little. I had a friend of mine upload the vids on YouTube so here are some links. The first link is what the guys at AMS thought was the problem initially and it sure looked like that was the case. It's a waste gate rod or something that has a lot of play and can be the cause of some noise under the hood but again that's normal and not what I'm experiencing. Here is the link to show the rod that is attached to each waste gate(one on each side)

The guys at AMS did something with the tension to see if this was the actual noise I'm hearing and it is not. Secondly the guys at AMS shut the waste gates so that they do not open to see if the rattling I'm hearing is wastegate related and the result is negative. Even with the wastegates shut the car still makes the same rattling.. I've been to the dealer and they can't find what's going on either... I have an appointment with AMS 8/21/13 and I will leave the car there a couple of days so they can locate what exactly is the reason for the rattling I'm experiencing... I will also drop the car off again at the dealer where they will look over it again and check all the clamps, bands and whatever... whatever I'm experiencing is not normal for sure and not because of the downpipes and apparently not because of the wastegates either. Below is a link to a vid of my car at idle and im just barley tapping the gas.

Last edited by Hunter5179; 08-21-2013 at 02:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2013, 07:29 PM   #32
greentrbo95gst
Brigadier General
Rep

Sounds like one of the exhaust heat shields is loose or you have something stuck inside of your exhaust.
      08-20-2013, 07:50 PM   #33
dentaltech
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M6 coupe

Thats sounds horrendous I would be pissed off!
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2013, 09:41 PM   #34
F12M6MD
Lieutenant
Rep

That does not sound like my rattle. Mine could be more like the wastegate rod shown in Hunter's video. I'll know more next week.

Mark
      08-21-2013, 02:45 AM   #35
luigimaster24
Major
Mexico
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i & 2021 X6M Comp

This is interesting.... I've been experiencing a couple things on my M6 paired with full Meisterschaft GTC exhaust and AMS Catless downpipes.

I have a rattle very similar to Hunters which started the day I got the catless downpipes installed. When I had the Meisterschaft alone with stock DPs there was no issues. My rattle is very similar to Hunters but not as pronounced as his rattle, mine sounds like a loose coin inside the exhaust when decelerating .

However, I do have a horrible sound that resembles a old beater Honda Civic with exhaust issues. This horrible sound only occurs at low revs between 1500- 2500 RPM and especially while under load or going uphill (see video below)

Initially I took this issue to Meisterschaft and they immediately shipped me a brand new full system replacement. I arranged and had it installed the same day I received the new unit hoping the noise and rattle would be gone. Unfortunately, the noises were still there after the install.

The next step was to take it back to the shop that installed the AMS downpipes. They took a look and said the wastegates were causing the rattle. I immediately took the car to my local BMW dealer, they verified the concern and replaced both sets of turbos within a few days. When I picked up the car I was full of hope and expecting the issues to be resolved, unfortunately, the rattle was still there and the horrible noise was still there.

At this point I decided to remove the front and mid Meister sections and install the stock front and mid section to at least make the car drivable, I did leave the Meister rear cans in place though. The noise was 75-80% muffled but I could still hear it. In other words the root of the problem was still there but most of the sound was been hidden by the stock resonator.

Today, I went to EAS and had them remove the downpipes and reinstall them to see if an installation error was the issue. Sadly, the horrible noise and rattle was still there after all was said and done.

Don't get me wrong, I love the beastly sound of the Meistershaft and the catless downpipes when it is NOT making that embarrassing noise and thats precisley why I am fighting to get this issue taken care of, but I will remove the downpipes if that turns out to be the root of the problem.

I am still trying to figure this out guys and will keep you posted with the outcome. I just wanted to share my experience so far in case it would help anyone thats looking into getting the wastegates replaced.

I've attached the BMW dealer work order from when they replaced the turbos if anyone cares to see it as well.

Lui

Attached Images
File Type: pdf M6 Bmw Turbo replacement.pdf (2.43 MB, 215 views)

Last edited by luigimaster24; 08-21-2013 at 02:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2013, 08:09 AM   #36
Hunter5179
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Wow luigi, that's unfortunate.. I'm glad you reported this because I was thinking it might be the driver side turbo but if you replaced both of yours and the problem is still there then I'm Def going to hold off on that. I have an appointment with AMS on 8/21 and they will go over the car for a few days and get to the bottom of this. I'm paying out of pocket for them to do so and I believe it is the best place to go and find out how this issue we are experiencing can be resolved. I too like my downpipes and definitely don't want to remove them so I'm hoping something can be done for all of us so that we don't hear any of those nasty sounds. I'll keep you posted. Everyone try and hold off until AMS goes over my car... glad you posted.

Last edited by Hunter5179; 08-21-2013 at 10:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2013, 08:19 AM   #37
greentrbo95gst
Brigadier General
Rep

Is this only happening on m6's with this exhaust setup?
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2013, 08:51 AM   #38
ColdList
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: McLaren 675LT / C7 Z07

Quote:
Originally Posted by luigimaster24 View Post
This is interesting.... I've been experiencing a couple things on my M6 paired with full Meisterschaft GTC exhaust and AMS Catless downpipes.

I have a rattle very similar to Hunters which started the day I got the catless downpipes installed. When I had the Meisterschaft alone with stock DPs there was no issues. My rattle is very similar to Hunters but not as pronounced as his rattle, mine sounds like a loose coin inside the exhaust when decelerating .

However, I do have a horrible sound that resembles a old beater Honda Civic with exhaust issues. This horrible sound only occurs at low revs between 1500- 2500 RPM and especially while under load or going uphill (see video below)

Initially I took this issue to Meisterschaft and they immediately shipped me a brand new full system replacement. I arranged and had it installed the same day I received the new unit hoping the noise and rattle would be gone. Unfortunately, the noises were still there after the install.

The next step was to take it back to the shop that installed the AMS downpipes. They took a look and said the wastegates were causing the rattle. I immediately took the car to my local BMW dealer, they verified the concern and replaced both sets of turbos within a few days. When I picked up the car I was full of hope and expecting the issues to be resolved, unfortunately, the rattle was still there and the horrible noise was still there.

At this point I decided to remove the front and mid Meister sections and install the stock front and mid section to at least make the car drivable, I did leave the Meister rear cans in place though. The noise was 75-80% muffled but I could still hear it. In other words the root of the problem was still there but most of the sound was been hidden by the stock resonator.

Today, I went to EAS and had them remove the downpipes and reinstall them to see if an installation error was the issue. Sadly, the horrible noise and rattle was still there after all was said and done.

Don't get me wrong, I love the beastly sound of the Meistershaft and the catless downpipes when it is NOT making that embarrassing noise and thats precisley why I am fighting to get this issue taken care of, but I will remove the downpipes if that turns out to be the root of the problem.

I am still trying to figure this out guys and will keep you posted with the outcome. I just wanted to share my experience so far in case it would help anyone thats looking into getting the wastegates replaced.

I've attached the BMW dealer work order from when they replaced the turbos if anyone cares to see it as well.

Lui

DId you also have AMS remove the DP and then reinstall the OEM? I never assume that it "can't" be anything. Seems like you effectively removed every other piece EXCEPT the DP to no avail and also that the AMS DP are the common denominator here amongst everyone. I would most definitely try that.

I have had my DPs (non-AMS) on my ca with two Eisenamnn exhausts, OEM exhaust and modified OEM exhaust. ONLY issue was when I had E-Race 102mm tips and I would get a slight rattle in the left muffler for about 20 sec fro a cold start and then it would go away. It was also very obvious that it was in the muffler. After removing that system, it immediately went away. I don't remember who it was, but recently someone posted that the AMS was a thinner pipe and less insulated looking than the OEM. I would be highly suspect of the DP only because of the detailed troubleshooting that you have done to try to isolate the problem with the DP being the only piece not removed. As noted above, I also have no smell and no CEL. Mine are 400 cell.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2013, 10:03 AM   #39
Hunter5179
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Hey guys, I'm dropping my car off at AMS today so we can speed this process up. They will keep it for 1-2 weeks and take it apart to try and locate and remedy the issues we are experiencing. Stay tuned. It might not take that long so I'll post up the results as soon as I know.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2013, 10:21 AM   #40
F12M6MD
Lieutenant
Rep

Hey luigi,

We have same setup except mine are catted. I hear the same rice rocket noise from my exhaust especially when engine not fully warm and my GTC valves are not fully open. When closed during a cold start, the exhaust has that same high pitched trumpeting noise that resolves after 15 seconds but I have to rev above cold start rpm to eliminate the noise and not wake up my family or neighbors. The noises I'm getting from this setup are beyond my toleration threshold. Beyond just the rattling we are all discussing, I think the optimal sound might be through a stock exhaust or Akra (noise controlled) rather than what we got. The sound dynamics and resonance are certainly not well matched or tuned. I'll wait for Hunter's solution but even then if I don't get aural pleasure throughout the entire rev range, it may not be worth keeping in my opinion.

Mark
      08-21-2013, 10:26 AM   #41
F12M6MD
Lieutenant
Rep

Here are the stock DP vs catted AMS. The stock are huge and heavy in comparison. Maybe this was muffling the new sounds we are hearing.

Mark
Attached Images

08-21-2013, 10:37 AM   #42
Hunter5179
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Yeah, that definitely could be it but there also might be a solution so hopefully AMS will work something out and I can post the solution. On my way now to drop it off.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2013, 11:45 AM   #43
joec500
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: it has 4 wheels

Hey guys, I am just lurking from the 335i forum, as I am researching into getting an M6. So that rattle you are hearing sounds EXACTLY like the wastegate rattle we get in our N54 motors (almost every N54 335i owner experiences this). What guys have been doing on the 335i's is installing an E-clip to remove that play. It's something worth trying as the design of the wastegate actuator looks similar to our turbos.
2007 E92 6MT SGM: MusicarNW Level 2, Procede Rev 2.5, FFTEC/Vishnu LPFP with Flexfuel Sensor and Flash, M3 Offset V701's, WaveTrac LSD, Michelin PSS, Downpipes, M3 Control Arms, TCKline D/A Suspension, LCI Tail lights, Lux AE's, ER Charge Pipe, DCI's, Mtech Front and Rear, M3 Sideskirts, HPF Stage 1 Clutch
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2013, 10:28 AM   #44
Hunter5179
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Ok guys just heard back from AMS. They made my noise go away..So AMS believes they solved it but will know for sure tomorrow. It's the stock donut gasket. AMS said that people shouldn't be reusing them so they will include better or new gaskets in their downpipe kits when they ship them out along with instructions on using the new gasket instead of the old. they made my noise go away so they believe they solved it. I will have exact confirmation tomorrow when they install the gasket.. thanks for being patient and sorry we all had to go through some trouble because of this. Some more than others. Will post back tomorrow

Last edited by Hunter5179; 08-22-2013 at 01:28 PM..
Appreciate 0