08-20-2014, 11:47 AM   #177
neversummer78
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4 wheels....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai of 2day View Post
I hear you, NeverSummer. In the past, I have always made an appoint to schedule a loaner car, so they always set me up with a nice 3 or 5 series. This time I just stopped by and told them about the malfuntion, so they put me in a rental because there were no laoners available.

As far as the reimbursement for the gas they plan on using during the test drive, I will contest that when I get there face to face. I don't argue with people. Not on the phone, not on the internet, and not in person. Either it is, or it isn't. Simple.

I will deal with them if and when they call me tomorrow to pick up my car finally. Hopefully I can turn in the Crysler minivan i have been stuck in for the past week and a half, lol
I understand, I find arguments are often time wasteful and mentally draining. Hopefully they fixed your car for good.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2014, 04:02 PM   #178
Mbarhum
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 650

Never summer don't get too comfortable about that error...here I am a year later with the second drivetrain malfunction. I've actually gotten the message earlier but the error message went away. It probably happened a handful of time before I took it in yesterday. The first time it happened, the error message never went away. This time it would, so I ignored it, until 3 days ago it started shaking hard. I didn't even push it or put It in ultra sport mode. This time did feel like it shook much harder then the first time that it happened. This seems to be a common problem for the 650..I have cousins with the m6 and they never had this issue. I have another cousin with a 650 and he has had the same error. I think the scariest thing about this error is the feel that the car is locking up on you...I hope they don't try to hide this, and someone gets in an accident from this..
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2014, 11:25 PM   #179
neversummer78
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbarhum View Post
Never summer don't get too comfortable about that error...here I am a year later with the second drivetrain malfunction. I've actually gotten the message earlier but the error message went away. It probably happened a handful of time before I took it in yesterday. The first time it happened, the error message never went away. This time it would, so I ignored it, until 3 days ago it started shaking hard. I didn't even push it or put It in ultra sport mode. This time did feel like it shook much harder then the first time that it happened. This seems to be a common problem for the 650..I have cousins with the m6 and they never had this issue. I have another cousin with a 650 and he has had the same error. I think the scariest thing about this error is the feel that the car is locking up on you...I hope they don't try to hide this, and someone gets in an accident from this..
Thanks for the post, I will keep my phone handy to record the error when it resurfaces. Anyway, I won't get it back until mid of September b/c an idiot rammed me on the freeway.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2014, 10:21 AM   #180
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep
Drives: '22 X6M/'21 S1Krr

Quote:
Originally Posted by neversummer78 View Post
Thanks for the post, I will keep my phone handy to record the error when it resurfaces. Anyway, I won't get it back until mid of September b/c an idiot rammed me on the freeway.
Dammit. I'm pissed and heartbroken to hear that your car has been damaged. That just plain sucks. hang in there Neversummer.
      08-22-2014, 10:26 AM   #181
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep

Well, I got my car back yesterday, and she seems to be healthy again... maybe a bit stronger than before (could be a placebo effect), but I am happy with the fact that my car is doing what it is meant to do, go fast.

My SA told me that cylinders 5 and 6 were not firing properly, so they made the needed repairs, along with just wrapping up my service with new brake fluid and fresh injectors.

Hopefully the Drive train error will never come accross my screen again, but from reading what a lot of you had to say, it would seem to be simply a matter of time before she will be limping back to the sercive center at some point.
      08-23-2014, 01:11 PM   #182
neversummer78
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Dammit. I'm pissed and heartbroken to hear that your car has been damaged. That just plain sucks. hang in there Neversummer.
Thanks, hopefully they put it back together well.

Hopefully your drivetrain error is gone for good, good luck!
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 08:30 AM   #183
ctenidae
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 650i Coupe- Manual

Driving home on Saturday, with the wife and both kids in the car, on the highway, got the dreaded Drivetrain Malfunction. Oddly, didn't kick to limp mode, but shuddered like mad. Pretty clearly in the transmission part of the train, but felt like a cylinder misfire. RPMs held steady, no problem there. Restart cleared it, and drove to the Port Chester service center to drop off just an hour before they closed. They're checking it now.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 10:38 AM   #184
neversummer78
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctenidae View Post
Driving home on Saturday, with the wife and both kids in the car, on the highway, got the dreaded Drivetrain Malfunction. Oddly, didn't kick to limp mode, but shuddered like mad. Pretty clearly in the transmission part of the train, but felt like a cylinder misfire. RPMs held steady, no problem there. Restart cleared it, and drove to the Port Chester service center to drop off just an hour before they closed. They're checking it now.
Got a nice loaner?
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 07:22 PM   #185
neversummer78
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Did they tell you what's wrong?

I wonder if 6er owners in other country have this issue.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2014, 08:22 PM   #186
550Reasons
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 550i

I also got this problem on my 11 550i
Did plenty of research and yes its all in the fueling / injectors.
First time it happened, I didnt know any better, no errors just motor going crazy and then like it never happened, and it would happen every so often after Id get on it, so finally, drove it hard and it started to do it, went to the dealer straight, SA felt the misfiring as soon as he turned the car on, so car was in about 3 days and they updated the software, and replaced 4 spark plugs, and 6 injectors, and left 2 stock ones ....

soooo car ran amazing for about a week, I was driving home from work and after an hour drive, almost home an empty stretch of highway opens up ... i hit it, and at about 130+ the car falls flat on its face, drivetrain mal message comes up, and as im slowing down and what not, message disappears and no where to be found. This happened about 2-3 weeks ago, but I have been so in love with my car that I dont yet want to drop it off at the dealer and be without it for half a week lol, but I soon will have to before warranty starts to go. Car doesnt shake or runs as rough as the first time, which leads me to believe the 2 stock injectors they left gave out.

from my understanding it happens to 2010-early 2013 N63 engines =/
2016 550i
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2014, 11:57 AM   #187
neversummer78
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 550Reasons View Post
I also got this problem on my 11 550i
Did plenty of research and yes its all in the fueling / injectors.
First time it happened, I didnt know any better, no errors just motor going crazy and then like it never happened, and it would happen every so often after Id get on it, so finally, drove it hard and it started to do it, went to the dealer straight, SA felt the misfiring as soon as he turned the car on, so car was in about 3 days and they updated the software, and replaced 4 spark plugs, and 6 injectors, and left 2 stock ones ....

soooo car ran amazing for about a week, I was driving home from work and after an hour drive, almost home an empty stretch of highway opens up ... i hit it, and at about 130+ the car falls flat on its face, drivetrain mal message comes up, and as im slowing down and what not, message disappears and no where to be found. This happened about 2-3 weeks ago, but I have been so in love with my car that I dont yet want to drop it off at the dealer and be without it for half a week lol, but I soon will have to before warranty starts to go. Car doesnt shake or runs as rough as the first time, which leads me to believe the 2 stock injectors they left gave out.

from my understanding it happens to 2010-early 2013 N63 engines =/
Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2014, 12:40 PM   #188
ctenidae
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 650i Coupe- Manual

I did get an X3 as a loaner, luckily they had one so schlep the kids in.

They reprogrammed the computer, and replaced the 2nd bank of injectors (1st bank was done ~4 months ago). Hopefully the replacements take care of things.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2014, 04:24 PM   #189
neversummer78
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I did get an X3 as a loaner, luckily they had one so schlep the kids in.

They reprogrammed the computer, and replaced the 2nd bank of injectors (1st bank was done ~4 months ago). Hopefully the replacements take care of things.
I hope they fixed it for good. I had to take in mine several times before they get some proper fix on the car. Last night, someone just commented my post on BMW Facebook page about drive train malfunction. This guy just got hit with this same error on his car.

I hope I never have to visit the dealer again for the same problem ever. Plus, my car just got into an accident, so trade-in value is going to be a joke. Hopefully, it will run problem free well after its warranty is over.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2014, 01:50 PM   #190
hellonwheels
Registered
Rep
Drives: 650i xdrive

Quote:
Did they tell you what's wrong?

I wonder if 6er owners in other country have this issue.
Yes, in Finland I had the same issue with my -12 650i xdrive.
My car went dead and had to be towed away. They replaced the fuel pump relay and control unit. It has worked well since. But knock on wood...

Last edited by hellonwheels; 09-20-2014 at 02:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2014, 11:09 PM   #191
neversummer78
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellonwheels View Post
Yes, in Finland I had the same issue with my -12 650i xdrive.
My car went dead and had to be towed away. They replaced the fuel pump relay and control unit. It has worked well since. But knock on wood...
Sorry to hear that, I just thought it might be the issue with gas quality in the States.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2014, 06:07 PM   #192
neversummer78
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I picked up my car from BMW repair shop last Friday, and today Drivetrain Malfunction error pops again.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2014, 05:36 PM   #193
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep

Quote:
I picked up my car from BMW repair shop last Friday, and today Drivetrain Malfunction error pops again.
I can't believe you are going through that again. What is that.... fourth time you have the drivetrain maulcuntion error message on your screen...?
      09-30-2014, 06:55 PM   #194
m34SPD
Picture me rollin'
United_States
Rep
Drives: e36 m3, e39 m5, f80 m3 CS

Lemon the car. Pick up a '15
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2014, 10:51 AM   #195
neversummer78
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I can't believe you are going through that again. What is that.... fourth time you have the drivetrain maulcuntion error message on your screen...?
I brought it in at least 6 times for this problem. I got it twice last week before I drop it off at dealer this past Monday. Dealer called me yesterday and said they didn't find error code. They said they already drove it for 20 miles, and they want to drive another 60 miles to try replicating the problem. I will call them to see what they find later today. At least they gave me a new 428i to drive around this time.

I sent them all videos and photos I have as proof.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...nBNNsXemIxNbqT

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-01-2014, 10:57 AM   #196
neversummer78
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMG640 View Post
Lemon the car. Pick up a '15
I hope they lemon the car at this point. I should have leased this damn thing, so I don't have to deal with it after 3 years.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2014, 12:04 PM   #197
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep

Quote:
I hope they lemon the car at this point. I should have leased this damn thing, so I don't have to deal with it after 3 years.
It is always a shame when someone who must have been so excited at one point to go out and spend over 100K on a car... only to be disappointed with it after only a little over a year behind the wheel.

Sorry you are going though such a let down. I hope it does work out so they lemon the car, and you end up driving away in something you can enjoy for years to come.
      10-02-2014, 01:14 PM   #198
GreyCoupe
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 650i Coupe

Time they figured this out and developed a permanent fix...
Appreciate 0