BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      03-14-2015, 08:26 PM   #1
aahmichael
Rep
Drives: 2015 650ix GC

Frustrated!

My car is 3 months old. It's been sitting in my garage for three days since I last drove it. I get in the car this afternoon to go to the grocery store, put my foot on the brake, push the start button, everything comes on like it's going to start, but then everything immediately shuts off. It never even turns over once. Try it over and over again, with the same results. I get all sorts of system failure messages on the dash, and the last message says, "battery discharged: start engine." So, I try again, and the results are the same.

It's not the battery. It's something electrical.

These cars are computers on wheels. If one tiny thing goes wrong with the computer, the car is toast.

To say I'm frustrated is the understatement of the year. I'll have to have it towed to the dealer Monday morning. This is my first BMW. How the hell are we supposed to trust these cars?
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2015, 03:48 AM   #2
SL%%
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 525i

sorry to hear your frustrations friend and I would be totally p!##$% in the same situation as where you are...

One thing I've noticed with Euro Cars these days is that it really does have a lot of computers and it really can drain the battery so some manufacturers now gives you the battery tickler or you have to buy it...

with my personal own experience with Euro cars be it a BMW, Mercedes, Land Rover, Audi and Volve, they want to be used... They don't want to be left in the garage...

I've dealt with all sorts of electrical problems with my Volvo to a point where if I turn the steering wheel in full circle, everything shuts down as in the whole electrical shuts down and so does the engine in the middle of the road!!!!!

Did a reset of the computer and then on, I've been using the cars like a daily driver and fingers crossed, no problems ever since... So does with the BMW's, Mercedes and Land Rover, once they are used on a regular basis, they tend to cooperate on an electrical point of view...

Try buying the CTEK battery charger/conditioner... looks like the juice from your batt ran out...

The waring for me looks like it's a battery problem...
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2015, 08:47 AM   #3
SL%%
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 525i

btw... you might want to check this out

http://www.6post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1075697
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2015, 01:37 PM   #4
jwblack750
MBACPA
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 640xi Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by aahmichael View Post
My car is 3 months old. It's been sitting in my garage for three days since I last drove it. I get in the car this afternoon to go to the grocery store, put my foot on the brake, push the start button, everything comes on like it's going to start, but then everything immediately shuts off. It never even turns over once. Try it over and over again, with the same results. I get all sorts of system failure messages on the dash, and the last message says, "battery discharged: start engine." So, I try again, and the results are the same.

These cars are computers on wheels. If one tiny thing goes wrong with the computer, the car is toast.

To say I'm frustrated is the understatement of the year. I'll have to have it towed to the dealer Monday morning. This is my first BMW. How the hell are we supposed to trust these cars?
I had something similar happen, at least it sounds similar (it was a number of months ago), and I bought a battery tender to keep it charged when not driving often. Is it cold where you are??
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2015, 05:57 PM   #5
YungDro
Major
Rep
Drives: -

Quote:

sounds like a battery problem should be easy to fix, same thing happend to my sisters merc e class they just replaced it and it had another electical failure. they then added another fresh battery and it was fine

Last edited by YungDro; 03-15-2015 at 06:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 09:44 AM   #6
aahmichael
Rep

Problem resolved. Even though BMW roadside assistance was not able to jump the car on Saturday, just for the heck of it, I put a trickle charger on it until this morning, and lo and behold the car started this morning. Drove it straight to the dealer, and they determined that the battery was defective. So, they put in a new battery and I'm good to go.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 11:10 AM   #7
bravo261
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650

given my drivetrain malfunction, i can echo your comment about having a hard time trusting something that just cost $100k.

glad your battery fixed it up pretty easily, but to be frank, i hope they didn't replace as lip service. for my drivetrain malfunction, they said a software update took care of that. yeah, this car is computers and all, but i'm thinking "uh-huh..."
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 01:51 PM   #8
Downfourit
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: M6 Gran Coupe`

Hey on the plus side if it happens one or 2 more times, lemon laws would be in your favor. I have had a 2014 650 coupe for almost 1 year now and it has not had 1 issue so sometimes it's just the luck of the draw. No pun intended on the battery failure
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 06:17 PM   #9
WWnyc
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014. 640 ix Vert

Garage List
Quote:
Problem resolved. Even though BMW roadside assistance was not able to jump the car on Saturday, just for the heck of it, I put a trickle charger on it until this morning, and lo and behold the car started this morning. Drove it straight to the dealer, and they determined that the battery was defective. So, they put in a new battery and I'm good to go.
Is it odd that the jump start wouldn't work but with the trickle charge you were able to revive the battery enough to start her?
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2015, 07:18 AM   #10
SpokenHands
Certified Car Nut
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AMG GTC + RR Velar + 640d GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bravo261 View Post
given my drivetrain malfunction, i can echo your comment about having a hard time trusting something that just cost $100k.

glad your battery fixed it up pretty easily, but to be frank, i hope they didn't replace as lip service. for my drivetrain malfunction, they said a software update took care of that. yeah, this car is computers and all, but i'm thinking "uh-huh..."
I had a similar issue but it was linked to a drivetrain malfunction. The EGR valve needed to be replaced alongwith all the related parts; this cured the stalling and hesitation but the mileage was still poor so it went in again for a mechanical service where the fuel pump, manifolds and related parts were checked and while it was error free, the inlet manifold was replaced.

Now car back to normal.

Current: 2018 Range Rover Velar First Edition D300 HSE + 2018 AMG GT-C Coupe + 2013 6 Series BMW GranCoupe (October)
Retired: 2016 AMG-GTS Coupe, 2013 & 2012 Maserati GranTurismo MC Stradale,2016 3-Series Touring, 2009 5 Series GT, 2007 BMW M5, 2012 & 2006 BMW 1 Series
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2015, 07:29 AM   #11
aahmichael
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWnyc View Post
Is it odd that the jump start wouldn't work but with the trickle charge you were able to revive the battery enough to start her?
That did seem odd to me, and that's why I didn't expect the trickle charger to do any good, but I took a shot anyway, and happy that it was able to get it started. That way I didn't have to have it towed to the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2015, 10:35 AM   #12
bravo261
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpokenHands View Post
I had a similar issue but it was linked to a drivetrain malfunction. The EGR valve needed to be replaced alongwith all the related parts; this cured the stalling and hesitation but the mileage was still poor so it went in again for a mechanical service where the fuel pump, manifolds and related parts were checked and while it was error free, the inlet manifold was replaced.

Now car back to normal.
now that's a bit of info i can appreciate should the problem come up again. thanks sincerely!
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2015, 03:07 PM   #13
SpokenHands
Certified Car Nut
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AMG GTC + RR Velar + 640d GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bravo261 View Post
now that's a bit of info i can appreciate should the problem come up again. thanks sincerely!
The issue is known in some diesel cars that only do short trips (my commute is an 8 miles round trip in mostly built up areas with a 30 mph speed limit) where the diesel particulate filter clogs up, also causing issues in the EGR valve. Have been asked to take the car on a high speed burst on the motorway for at least 20 mins every few weeks.

Interestingly my use of a premium fuel (Shell V Power Nitro) that is 98 RON and added detergents seems to have worked in that all engine components were entirely carbon free. (Though this car is only 18 months old and only 8500 miles since new. )

Current: 2018 Range Rover Velar First Edition D300 HSE + 2018 AMG GT-C Coupe + 2013 6 Series BMW GranCoupe (October)
Retired: 2016 AMG-GTS Coupe, 2013 & 2012 Maserati GranTurismo MC Stradale,2016 3-Series Touring, 2009 5 Series GT, 2007 BMW M5, 2012 & 2006 BMW 1 Series
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2015, 08:47 PM   #14
mrjoed2
Banned
Rep
Drives: '14 650 M Sport Edition

I drive my 650 on nice weather days only, and have kept it on a battery tender Jr trickle/float charger from the day I brought it home, and have not had any battery related issues whatsoever. Would call it mandatory on these cars if driven infrequently given the boatload of electronics involved.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2015, 10:42 PM   #15
Neon21db
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi coupe

Does the 6 series use an AGM battery?
Appreciate 0