BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

03-20-2013, 09:54 PM   #23
neversummer78
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4 wheels....

Quote:
Originally Posted by southern6er22 View Post
Living in Bama does occasionally have it's perks

Apparently the E63 AMG wagon is a lot more exclusive than the SLS. #mindblown lol
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 09:03 AM   #24
ctenidae
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 650i Coupe- Manual

I've gotten thumbs up from several people, and comments from folks at gas stations. I used to have a bright red MB C300 in Sport trim (AMG wheels and tires, that sort of thing) that I had people going out of their way to come over and compliment, though, which is something I haven't seen in the 6.

I do like, guiltily, the feeling of seeing a line of cookie cutter econoboxes on the highway, and knowing that there is only 1 other car in the entire world that's the same as mine.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 11:08 PM   #25
southern6er22
Southern6er22
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 650i xDrive M Sport Coupe

Garage List
There does seem to be something inherently exclusive and special about this car. Sure, $100k elevates it to that level, but people seem to respond differently to this car than they would to a 911, S Class, SL, 7 Series, or even an M5. Sure, people in the know see an M5 and know what that badge means - same goes for a Carrera Turbo - but everyone seems to respect the F12/13 for its styling and presence. I'm not saying a 650i is "better" than a 911 Turbo or even a Carrera S, but those cars get noticed because "oh, that's a Porsche" (could be a Cayman, Boxster, or Carrera - who knows?). The bulkiness yet sleekness of the car really set it apart, and I doubt few people have ever looked at it and thought, "is that a 328i?"

I know I'm biased - I have a lot of respect for Porsches, Mercs, and the M5. I just think there's something to this generation of the 6 Series that elevates it above the typical clinical German-ness of other cars in the same price bracket.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2013, 12:48 AM   #26
neversummer78
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by southern6er22 View Post
There does seem to be something inherently exclusive and special about this car. Sure, $100k elevates it to that level, but people seem to respond differently to this car than they would to a 911, S Class, SL, 7 Series, or even an M5. Sure, people in the know see an M5 and know what that badge means - same goes for a Carrera Turbo - but everyone seems to respect the F12/13 for its styling and presence. I'm not saying a 650i is "better" than a 911 Turbo or even a Carrera S, but those cars get noticed because "oh, that's a Porsche" (could be a Cayman, Boxster, or Carrera - who knows?). The bulkiness yet sleekness of the car really set it apart, and I doubt few people have ever looked at it and thought, "is that a 328i?"

I know I'm biased - I have a lot of respect for Porsches, Mercs, and the M5. I just think there's something to this generation of the 6 Series that elevates it above the typical clinical German-ness of other cars in the same price bracket.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2013, 09:04 PM   #27
markeh
Second Lieutenant
Russian Federation
Rep
Drives: 2013 CB 650xi GC

A common question I've gotten the last few is "What series is that!?" Guess its weird when they see 4 doors

the worst however is when they answer it themselves

"Woah is that the new 6 series!? The one with 4 doors right?"
I just want to throw a rock at their head when they ask me if my car has 4 doors.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2013, 11:15 PM   #28
THE JEDI
Major
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 2.5i

If you would excuse me I only drive a Z4..E85 at that..and to honest when I see a person in nice car make sme smile because I know how hard I worked to get my Z4, and I'm eyeing the next Next M3, or might get the current M3..Just love that V8...but too all us guys who drive nice cars...BE nice....I try my best never to be smug..because that makes people turn on ya..quick...but most bimmer owners I have met are just car nuts, I think thats our bond....and when I walk out and look at the butt of my Z4 I just smile..wide...and love taking people for a ride in it.....and to u haters...please keep doing ya job..cause haters gonna hate...
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2013, 11:40 PM   #29
dsad1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: car

Here is a story from the other side.

I was looking at a white 640 gran coupe today at the car wash, I was just peeking through the window to see what the platinum interior looked liked and the owner happens to walk up. I asked him how he liked the car and I couldn't believe how arrogant he was, he was trying to tell me in his own words that I would never be able to afford one and I shouldn't worry about it. He didn't even answer the question. I just turned around and walked off. I was actually more dressed up today than usual in a sport coat and slacks, but I guess I still looked too poor to be able to purchase a 6 series ;-).

The car wash manager was chuckling behind him while listening to this since he knew I owned a gran coupe.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 12:22 AM   #30
neversummer78
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsaad1 View Post

I was looking at a white 640 gran coupe today at the car wash, I was just peeking through the window to see what the platinum interior looked liked and the owner happens to walk up. I asked him how he liked the car and I couldn't believe how arrogant he was, he was trying to tell me in his own words that I would never be able to afford one and I shouldn't worry about it. He didn't even answer the question. I just turned around and walked off. I was actually more dressed up today than usual in a sport coat and slacks, but I guess I still looked too poor to be able to purchase a 6 series ;-).

The car wash manager was chuckling behind him while listening to this since he knew I owned a gran coupe.
Some people don't deserve to have a car.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 12:31 AM   #31
neversummer78
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

"when I see a person in nice car make sme smile because I know how hard I worked to get my Z4"

I know what you mean. Back in college 15 years ago, I couldn't even afford a car, and 1 day my buddy let me drive his E36 328i coupe because he was having hangover. Since then, that has been the reason I wake up and work hard everyday.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 05:13 AM   #32
andreo
BMW Enthusiast
Macao
Rep
Drives: Citrin Black 650i Coupé (F13)

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsaad1

How utterly rude! Would have loved to see his face when you pull out of the wash in your 650 GC.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 07:48 AM   #33
dsad1
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreo View Post
How utterly rude! Would have loved to see his face when you pull out of the wash in your 650 GC.
I was in my wife's lexus, but I am there about once a week so the chances are I will see him again.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 11:06 AM   #34
Bönz
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

I'm still stuck on carwash. Perish the thought.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 12:44 PM   #35
BMWMilan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bönz View Post
Serves that 640 GC owner right if he was pushing his car through a machine.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 02:54 PM   #36
dsad1
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bönz View Post
I will admit I am pretty lazy, I take my car there about once a week or once every two weeks for them to hand wash it. Although I do send my wife's lexus through the machine.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 07:45 PM   #37
southern6er22
Southern6er22
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I made a sign to hang on my mirror when I take my car in for service that reads, "Please do not wash or clean this car, inside or out." I cringe at the thought of those sudsy, spongy things brushing against my Carbon Black paint. Once a year might be fine, but they've had my car 4 times in the last 4 months. I'd need serious therapy to cope with that many machine washes. I found the sign was simpler than asking. I hate to be "that guy," but i can't help it. It's just easier to let them see the very obvious sign rather than hoping the message gets passed along.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2013, 06:22 AM   #38
Bönz
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

Thanks for the idea. Going to do same when I go in for service in a couple weeks.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2013, 12:13 AM   #39
southern6er22
Southern6er22
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bnz
Thanks for the idea. Going to do same when I go in for service in a couple weeks.
I just attached a piece of string and keep it stashed in the case with the manual so I've always got it - for when the unexpected drivetrain malfunction warning arises :rofl:
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2013, 06:39 AM   #40
BMWMilan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Yesterday a beautiful red F430 Spider pulls up next to me at a stoplight and the driver looks over, gives me the thumbs up, I roll down my passenger side window and compliment him on his car and he says, "hey, how about a trade?" and I say, "Only, if you throw in a daily driver ..."
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2013, 01:22 PM   #41
carrazco650i
Registered
Rep
Drives: 650i

It worsens as the town gets smaller.. Not in a negative way.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2013, 08:52 PM   #42
mammothboarderdc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 328i Sport

yea I get that attention when I drove my grandpa's Mclaren haha. Got to love some of the stuff people say. shit, people compliment my little 328i xD.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2013, 03:01 AM   #43
wzj519
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 COMP PKG

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwills View Post
Nothing but thumbs up for my 650 GC....I've had my car for close to 6 months and I haven't seen a single one on the road....it's almost starting to bother me as I feel like the only one who bought this car in the Toronto area!!! I know that a fair amount of folks out there aren't fond of the GC and it's price tag but I love it and get lot's of love while out driving it!
I am the second. BRO. You are not alone.
Appreciate 0