BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

10-27-2017, 01:17 AM   #1
mastatikle
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m3

Ceramic Coating at home worth it?

I'm getting more interested in the idea of ceramic coating my car at first I didn't think there was any real difference and wasn't worth paying $500 to get the car done but more and more people are doing it and it looks good when its first done. I'd like to do it myself though. I have bodywork experience but have never messed with this material. The two brands I've narrowed down to are 9H and Chemical Guys. If anyone could give me any reccomendations I'd appreciate it.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2017, 06:31 AM   #2
Airz
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 M6 Sakhir Coupe

I've used gtechniq C1 and Exov2 on my old M3 and its good stuff. The longest part is the prep as you usually carry out a paint correction before applying otherwise your just sealing in any scratches in the paint.
The one thing you have to keep in mind is that the car can't get wet for a few hours after applying the coating so you need to make sure you've got somewhere to do it indoors if there's any chance of rain.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2017, 07:54 AM   #3
Evil Derboy
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Just had mine done professionally.

The key to it is surface preparation and being able to do it indoors. Paint needs stripped right back. No waxes, oils, or contaminants, before the ceramic coat is applied. So there's a lot of wash/decontamination stages to be done before application and then it was actually baked on using IR heatlamps.

I'm into detailing but it's not something I'd do myself.

Very pleased with the results on my own car.

Appreciate 0
      10-28-2017, 01:52 AM   #4
mastatikle
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derboy View Post
Just had mine done professionally.

The key to it is surface preparation and being able to do it indoors. Paint needs stripped right back. No waxes, oils, or contaminants, before the ceramic coat is applied. So there's a lot of wash/decontamination stages to be done before application and then it was actually baked on using IR heatlamps.

I'm into detailing but it's not something I'd do myself.

Very pleased with the results on my own car.

That looks damn good. What did it run you? I've never seen the baking aspect for it around here.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2017, 02:13 AM   #5
Evil Derboy
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastatikle View Post
That looks damn good. What did it run you? I've never seen the baking aspect for it around here.
My local guy is an absolute guru. Will be washing the car for the first time today since it was done (not allowed to touch paintwork for 7 days after it’s been done) so looking forward to the results.

Single stage paint correction and ceramic coating cost me £600/$778/€678
Appreciate 0