BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

07-18-2015, 02:56 PM   #1
M6Hoggers
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M6 Coupe F13

I'm selling

I've had my 2012 M6 for 6 months... but I'm now pretty sure I'm going to sell it.

I'm a long term fan of BMW. I've only driven BMWs for 20 years now and am a member of the BMW Car Club in the UK. I've driven many 3 and 5 series and one 6 series. The M6 is my first proper 'performance' car and M car.

Here are my thoughts - both pros and cons of the M6. I'm hoping no-one is offended as I know it's a forum about the M6... so read it with that it mind.

On the positive side, the M6 is a very fast beast and will easily destroy just about anything in terms of acceleration... especially at 50mph+ on 3rd gear the power is astonishing. I'm in a car group locally with some guys who have Porsche 911s/Caymans, Aston Vantages and some older Ferraris. The M6 will easily mash them all up lol. It is also extremely comfortable and long distances are no problems. The cabin is luxurious and the technology/idrive etc first rate. The fuel economy is good for a car that powerful and big too. It has real road presence and people notice it and occasionally give you a thumbs up or a comment. It's pretty rare car to see on the roads too (in the UK anyway). On paper, it ticks every single box.

On the downside, despite ticking every box I really feel I'm being sold a 'product' by a corporate marketing team and not something that is made by people with a passion for motoring/motorsport. I worry BMW have lost their way a bit. Despite the M car credentials and awesome power I don't find it that engaging to drive on twisty 'B' roads (in the UK). It feels big and I never want to push it much on corners. I had a BMW 320d coupe with M sports suspension that I recall had much more feedback and response from the road. Of course, it was no where near as distinctive or as powerful but the experience driving it felt more 'real'. The M6 isn't just a big car.. it's massive. However, the use of the space means it is really only a 2 seater. It seems wasteful and a bit of a caricature of a car - a big coupe. Finally, the whole 'fake engine noise' thing through the speakers that BMW have engineered in to compensate for the lack of noise in the turbo charged engined feels a bit embarrassing from an enthusiasts point of view. I wish BMW had found another way round this. I fitted an AC Schnitzer exhaust to mine to give it some more sound which worked to a great extent. However, a car this powerful and expensive needs to have a little more 'soul' I feel. They also depreciate so fast it's not even funny... which you will know already.

So I'm wondering.. is it me... or is it the M6.

I possibly had the wrong expectations about the car. I'd hankered after an M car for many years and felt this was the ultimate M car. BMW's most powerful and, at the time, most expensive car ever. Probably I should have bought a lighter 'sports car' and not a GT car... probably a 911 or even a GT-R (sorry..)

As someone in their 40s with an interest in cars but also refinement this car seems perfectly aimed at me. I'm probably spot on for BMW's marketing department profile for M6 buyers.

It's a great car and it's hard to pick on a particular thing that isn't right.

I think it does everything well...but it's 8/10 all round and not 10/10 for some key areas.

That probably means it's the perfect car for a great many people. Personally, I should probably have got two cars... a 530D or X5 for daily and a 911 for the weekend. I tried to do everything with the M6 and I think it just about succeeded... but not quite for me anyway.

So I am going to sell... take a bath on the early exit... and look for a daily driver and a raw sports car for the weekend.

We will see if that's the right decision or if I'll miss the M6's all round impressive but general capabilities.

Thought I'd share those views... hope they are useful.
      07-18-2015, 04:58 PM   #2
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep
Drives: F92 M8

Quote:
Originally Posted by M6Hoggers View Post
I possibly had the wrong expectations about the car. I'd hankered after an M car for many years and felt this was the ultimate M car. BMW's most powerful and, at the time, most expensive car ever. Probably I should have bought a lighter 'sports car' and not a GT car... probably a 911 or even a GT-R (sorry..)
LOL... I think you should have done it or must do it
Thanks for write up BTW. I hear you and I understand what you are talking about the size and weight of M6, but it's the size some people enjoy it. Not everybody is looking for a small car to be nimble at corners; however for me just 10% of times I need to go to the corners very fast and enjoy turning MDM on and let the tail be happy, but the rest of the time either I want to feel that amazing acceleration or to have the comfort and luxurious... but overall it's a good (great) feeling when (as you mentioned) smashing on the gas at 50 mph and watching people on rear view mirror .... I rarely test drive other cars, but whenever I do as soon as I come back to my M6 , I appreciate it more than before ... Hopefully the next generation of M6 will be 4-5" shorter and 300-400 lb lighter ...

BTW, according to GT-R, that car is really UGLY and to me it's a race-track car not street car
Gone : 2013 F13 Sakhir Orange M6 -7DCT
Gone: 2013 F13 Alpine White 650i -ZF8
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2015, 10:07 AM   #3
2007 to 2016 M6 Cab
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition HS

Quote:
Finally, the whole 'fake engine noise' thing through the speakers that BMW have engineered in to compensate for the lack of noise in the turbo charged engined feels a bit embarrassing from an enthusiasts point of view. I wish BMW had found another way round this. I fitted an AC Schnitzer exhaust to mine to give it some more sound which worked to a great extent. However, a car this powerful and expensive needs to have a little more 'soul' I feel.

I HAVE TO AGREE HERE ---HAVING HAD 2 S63 AMGS, BOTH WITH THE 5.5L BITURBO NO ENGINE OR EXHAUST MODS DONE, AND THE LAST GEN M6 WITH THE V10, AND ONLY THE INTAKE AND THE EISENMANN SPORT EXHAUST ADDED ... BMW MISSED THE BOAT WITH THE CURRENT GEN M5 AND M6 FOR TRUE RAW EXHAUST NOTE ... AFTER PUTTING DOWN $170K CANADIAN AND TICKING OFF EVERY BOX LESS CC BREAKS AND CP ... I HAVE TO ADD ANOTHER $13K FOR DOWNPIPES AND AKRA EVO TO FIX THE PROBLEM!

I love the car and everything better about it as it has evolved the M6 from the last gen, but the exhuast note is an ABSOLUTE LET DOWN!!!

Even though I love the Car as my daily summer driver, I have to say I agree with you on this point ... BMW Failed to really address the exhaust note for what should be the top of the line from their M - performance division

BEST WISHES WITH THE NEW VENTURE AND THANKS FOR POSTING SUCH A GOOD IN DEPTH REVIEW!
2016 M6 Cabrio, 2015 GLK 250 Bluetec, 2007 M6 Cab, 2011 S63 Amg, 2008 S450, 2006 330xi, 1998 Z24, 2002 Chev Suburban
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2015, 11:31 AM   #4
savela
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5M

Yea. I think it's hard to do everything perfectly. The exhaust is a bit of a conundrum - I tend to like the luxury offered by the M6 and its well insulated cabin. Maybe a bit less connected but still a 10 in my book. Granted, this is at the top of my spectrum.

Only live once and you can't take it with you. Hope you find that sweet spot.
2011 550i (traded)
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2015, 02:28 PM   #5
M6Hoggers
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M6 Coupe F13

Thanks for the responses.. thought I was going to be met with a barrage of abuse... but your comments are measured and sensible!

I'm thinking I'll go for a GTR. I've looked at Porsche 911 which I know are great cars but very common. The M6 is actually more of a rarity and a head turner IMHO.

I think the rawness of the GTR will fit the bill. It's got 4 seats and a boot and I like the 4WD.

It's an brute of course (not ugly though I don't think). Certainly not refined in the way the M6 is so a very different animal.

I'll test drive one and see what I think.
      07-19-2015, 03:30 PM   #6
dpwracing
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 Convertible CP

I had a GTR while living in Germany, completely different animal to the M6. Like you said, it's more of a raw, sports car experience. I loved the acceleration, handling and feel, and unbelievable grip. I actually did like the look of the GTR, even though it's not a classic beauty. Also, don't buy into the BS that it's like computer game doing everything for you, people who say that have either never driven it or simply don't drive it hard enough. It is very lively and has much better steering feel than the M6.

Downsides were the cabin noise, including a lot of mechanical noise from the transmission, and the suspension stiffness, which even in soft setting was a bit much. Finally, blowing up the transmission at ~40k miles was not so fun (I had a 2010, think they beefed it up in the 2012's+). The stealership wouldn't help me on a good faith repair and wanted $35k for a full transmission replacement. I found a good shop specializing in GTR's who fixed it better than new for about $7k.

I sold the GTR when I left Germany about a year ago and when I was back in the US I was thinking about an M5, M6 or GTR. I just loved the looks and luxury of the M6 and have no regrets. No, the M6 doesn't handle as well as a GTR, but it'll accelerate (from a roll) and stop about the same and is still plenty fun in the twisties.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2015, 03:46 PM   #7
Twitch Massacre
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8

Garage List
I12 BMW i8  [0.00]
F13 BMW M6  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2007 to 2016 M6 Cab
Quote:
Finally, the whole 'fake engine noise' thing through the speakers that BMW have engineered in to compensate for the lack of noise in the turbo charged engined feels a bit embarrassing from an enthusiasts point of view. I wish BMW had found another way round this. I fitted an AC Schnitzer exhaust to mine to give it some more sound which worked to a great extent. However, a car this powerful and expensive needs to have a little more 'soul' I feel.

I HAVE TO AGREE HERE ---HAVING HAD 2 S63 AMGS, BOTH WITH THE 5.5L BITURBO NO ENGINE OR EXHAUST MODS DONE, AND THE LAST GEN M6 WITH THE V10, AND ONLY THE INTAKE AND THE EISENMANN SPORT EXHAUST ADDED ... BMW MISSED THE BOAT WITH THE CURRENT GEN M5 AND M6 FOR TRUE RAW EXHAUST NOTE ... AFTER PUTTING DOWN $170K CANADIAN AND TICKING OFF EVERY BOX LESS CC BREAKS AND CP ... I HAVE TO ADD ANOTHER $13K FOR DOWNPIPES AND AKRA EVO TO FIX THE PROBLEM!

I love the car and everything better about it as it has evolved the M6 from the last gen, but the exhuast note is an ABSOLUTE LET DOWN!!!

Even though I love the Car as my daily summer driver, I have to say I agree with you on this point ... BMW Failed to really address the exhaust note for what should be the top of the line from their M - performance division

BEST WISHES WITH THE NEW VENTURE AND THANKS FOR POSTING SUCH A GOOD IN DEPTH REVIEW!
My M Performance Exhaust which is the same as Akra's Evo, only rebranded is up for sale for a lot less than MSRP. Just saying...
Coming Soon:
2016 BMW M4 GTS De-Winged and Bagged on 22s
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2015, 07:07 PM   #8
2007 to 2016 M6 Cab
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition HS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twitch Massacre View Post
My M Performance Exhaust which is the same as Akra's Evo, only rebranded is up for sale for a lot less than MSRP. Just saying...
I know, I know ... but my wife's cosine owns Euro Autowerx ... got me a great deal ... family deal ... and he is family so had to support his business as much as possible ...
2016 M6 Cabrio, 2015 GLK 250 Bluetec, 2007 M6 Cab, 2011 S63 Amg, 2008 S450, 2006 330xi, 1998 Z24, 2002 Chev Suburban
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2015, 08:20 AM   #9
HoustonRider
big pimpin
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 GC and 2015 4 GC

It's like driving with the doors open. It's quick, no doubt, but kind of like a Corvette, not really refined at all. Noisy.

Quote:
Thanks for the responses.. thought I was going to be met with a barrage of abuse... but your comments are measured and sensible!

I'm thinking I'll go for a GTR. I've looked at Porsche 911 which I know are great cars but very common. The M6 is actually more of a rarity and a head turner IMHO.

I think the rawness of the GTR will fit the bill. It's got 4 seats and a boot and I like the 4WD.

It's an brute of course (not ugly though I don't think). Certainly not refined in the way the M6 is so a very different animal.

Appreciate 0
      07-20-2015, 10:47 AM   #10
Stargunz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M6 GC

I thought about a GTR but 2 reasons I turned it down.
BMW has better service, with the GTR your still going to nissan for dealership and the crowd so it wont be luxurious and all inclusive.

Second reason, the next gen GTR I believe is due next year.

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      07-20-2015, 11:00 AM   #11
C5driver
Major
Rep
Drives: 55...just kidding.

Quote:
Thought I'd share those views... hope they are useful.
Useful and I'd generally agree with your sentiment. I went into the M6 knowing what it was (more or less) prior to getting it, and now I'm more than satisfied with what I have.

It does have some negatives, but generally speaking that describes anything on the road or off.

Best of luck with your future choice! It was a pleasure reading your posts
Appreciate 0