Armin_kh
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 650xi GranCoupe M Sport

Garage List
Staggered Wheels on XDrives

Hi everyone,

When I bought my 650xi GC, it came with 19" non-staggered style 351 wheels. I think the 351s style makes 6 series so ugly, so I wanted to change them with M5 style 343s, but I found a really good deal on 373s. Since I wanted to put M5 343s, I bought tires that fit both style 373 and 343. I bought Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3, 255/35/20 for the front and 285/30/20 for the rear. When I took my car to BMW to install those wheels, they told me that we don't recommend for you to put these wheels on your car since they are staggered and your car is Xdrive and they said if you want us to put those wheels on you have to sign an agreement that the drivetrain is out of warranty. I ended up going to a normal tire shop.
After I put those 373s, I feel like the transmission is not shifting smoothly at all. I took my car to BMW, they reset it and they said it'll take a week to adapt to your driving style, but it's been almost 3 weeks after they reset it and still it's not smooth.
I don't know what to do.
I'd appreciate it if anybody could give me any suggestions.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2017, 07:00 PM   #2
jackliu0527
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 650iXdrive GC

Factory 20 inch size are staggered 245/35 and 275/30 should work no problem, I am not sure what is causing the transmission issue
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2017, 06:15 PM   #3
Superpop
Rep
Drives: 2012 S550

Rolling diameter is almost identical assuming the wheels are 8.5" wide in the front and 9.5" wide in the rear. Staggered set ups work fine as long as the rolling diameter is within a few percentage points of each other which your are. Your fronts are .9% larger than the rears. You must have something else going on. I have noticed with a staggered set up that the car does not track as well as the square set up and I will probably not do staggered again because of this. It looks cool but handling is compromised IMHO.
Appreciate 0