BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      05-13-2016, 03:23 PM   #1
Taz@Evolve
Rep
Drives: Alpina B10 Touring 3.3

Project Taz underway at Evolve

Being a part of the Evolve setup and working with a numerous variety of wonderful vehicles has inevitably started to rub off on me. In turn giving me the itch to upgrade / update my car.

I recently decided to take the plunge on a new motor to call my own.

With numerous days of debating, test driving, ordering and order cancelling i made the decision to go big, go classy and go diesel.

Say hi to my 640D GC!

The keen eyed amongst you will notice it is an F06 and a 640D M Sport in Carbon Black.

Naturally i will be Toying / Upgrading / Modifying, or whatever you would like to call it...... but along the way also will be sharing with you all

Really looking forward to owning this
Appreciate 1
      05-13-2016, 03:43 PM   #2
Rufus123
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw 640

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz@Evolve View Post
Being a part of the Evolve setup and working with a numerous variety of wonderful vehicles has inevitably started to rub off on me. In turn giving me the itch to upgrade / update my car.

I recently decided to take the plunge on a new motor to call my own.

With numerous days of debating, test driving, ordering and order cancelling i made the decision to go big, go classy and go diesel.

Say hi to my 640D GC!

The keen eyed amongst you will notice it is an F06 and a 640D M Sport in Carbon Black.

Naturally i will be Toying / Upgrading / Modifying, or whatever you would like to call it...... but along the way also will be sharing with you all

Really looking forward to owning this
Same as mine bar the alloys

Great motor, keep us updated on what mods you do or can offer mate

Enjoy
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2016, 04:06 PM   #3
darms
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i Msport Shadow Ed

Nice.....

As ya in the business, I'm sure you'll be willing to give your fellow F06 drivers here a deal
      05-16-2016, 04:34 AM   #4
Taz@Evolve
Rep

Thanks guys.

Darms, that's a seriously spec'd up GC you have!

Really looking forward getting the work started!!!

And no time like the present...... So the H&R springs have arrived and the shark is on the ramp!

Appreciate 1
      05-16-2016, 06:03 AM   #5
Solstice1
Private
Rep
Drives: F31 335d Birds B3

I'll be following this, have evolve done any work on remapping the 640D?
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2016, 09:48 AM   #6
Taz@Evolve
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solstice1 View Post
I'll be following this, have evolve done any work on remapping the 640D?
So the springs are nearly complete.

As for this diesel lump, yip have been done and will also get up data on mine to share.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2016, 10:18 AM   #7
M6Havana
M6 f12 Havana
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6 Cab

Be interesting to see how the h&r look, awaiting to put mine on when warrenty out next month
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2016, 11:28 AM   #8
darms
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i Msport Shadow Ed

Cheers and yeah she's almost got it all

What size alloys you on?
      05-16-2016, 12:42 PM   #9
NYC650IX_GC
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 650IXGC MSportAlpineWhite

Quote:
Thanks guys.

Darms, that's a seriously spec'd up GC you have!

Really looking forward getting the work started!!!

And no time like the present...... So the H&R springs have arrived and the shark is on the ramp!

Can wait to see her once she is all done!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2016, 05:15 PM   #10
Taz@Evolve
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 640m View Post
Be interesting to see how the h&r look, awaiting to put mine on when warrenty out next month

So here she is!
Now the good thing is that this has been after a couple of hundred mile trip so has had plenty of time to settle from what i can see.

I have previously read that people talk about the car having a raked / sloping look, but personally i'm happy how she sits.

Additionally, she's riding the 20 inch 373M wheels and with the runflats pretty hard on small silly bumps but that is more of a solid rubber tyre knocking against a bump rather than the car bouncing or being to spine breaking (Hope that made sense).

Once the tyres and wheels get changed, i don't envisage any issues.

Definately looks more aggressive on the road and feelings more planted around sweeping bends.

Appreciate 1
      05-17-2016, 01:48 AM   #11
M6Havana
M6 f12 Havana
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6 Cab

What wheel setup you going for? Im so tempted to get some concaves but im thinking of spraying my 373s with spacers & h&r.

What was the hours needed for the springs?
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2016, 05:44 AM   #12
Dogmatic6
Rep
Drives: BMW X4M Competition

Hi Taz,

Are the H&R Springs for the GC the same as the 640D Coupe? I just bought my 640D GC a couple of months ago and thinking about springs

Do you know the best place to buy the springs? Car looks great! I have the Carbon Black with the Ivory leather. Amazing cars
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2016, 12:48 PM   #13
Taz@Evolve
Rep

Hey "640m" - I haven't quite confirmed it yet as have been toying with a couple of options.... but at this point, a 21 inch setup is looking favourable.
Springs were a 5 hour job.

"Dogmatic6" i can find out the part numbers for each and let you know if they match up.
Obviously Evolve can source the springs for you and ship them out to you. Ditto that, they are amazing cars to be fair, though could have done with a fraction more rear leg room
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2016, 01:30 PM   #14
Acexxon
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 F06 M6 F87 M2

Hi guys I have a question.

I was told by many people that just changing the stock springs to short-springs is not idea, but why do people still do it?
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2016, 05:33 PM   #15
Dogmatic6
Rep
Drives: BMW X4M Competition

Hi Taz,

That would be great if you could get me the part numbers for the springs and cost for you guys to supply

Yeah the leg room is a bit tight lol I'm only 5'9 and my drivers seat still sits pretty far back! I could have got the coupe but prefer the GC shape.

Cheers

Mark
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 04:15 AM   #16
Taz@Evolve
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmatic6 View Post
Hi Taz,

That would be great if you could get me the part numbers for the springs and cost for you guys to supply

Yeah the leg room is a bit tight lol I'm only 5'9 and my drivers seat still sits pretty far back! I could have got the coupe but prefer the GC shape.

Cheers

Mark
Hi Mark,

I too prefer the shape of the GC.

PM sent.
Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 06:14 AM   #17
NINJA59
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 640D GC and MX5 NC PRHT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acexxon View Post
Hi guys I have a question.

I was told by many people that just changing the stock springs to short-springs is not idea, but why do people still do it?
Me Waffling on (Long Version):

The ultimate ideal is you buy coilovers, but naturally a decent set of coilovers is a large outlay (from memory the MX5 ones are around £1500-£3000 (penske are available for the MX5 ), KW do a set for the 6GC they are about £2500-£3000). The main reason being you get better "matched" spring rates and the rebound from the shock absorber (within reason and depending on the level of adjustment), as it was designed all at the same time.

A similar thing can be done by buying new shock absorber to go with the springs (I did this on the MX5 "upgrading" the standard "black" Hitachi shocks to the Bilstein versions seen on the sport versions (although a shortened version to make it a little lower, but the shock and spring were specced together so a similar result as the coilover, just without the adjustable nature)). I find coilovers a bit of compromise as if you "increase" or "decrease" the ride height you change the geo of the car, so the only "real" reason is the firmness of the damping going on (soft front, hard rear etc.)

The "cheapest" way is you change just the spring, main reason for doing it...looks more than anything else.

Technically, the shock will be less suited to the new spring as it was designed to go with the longer spring by the OEM. In many cases most aftermarket ones increase the spring rate to compensate, but that of course brings issues around ride etc. and in some cases of course brings issues of bump stops etc.

The other problem with lowering a car is actually increased body roll....but lets not get into that!

Blame my MX5 for all of this and it being on a Hunter machine every 6-8 months.... (do not forget in most cases it is worth having an alignment done after lowering, a thing easily forgotten by many ).

Short Version:

All comes down to cost (££££).

NB: Before I get tempted I am banned from lowering our GC....

Last edited by NINJA59; 05-18-2016 at 06:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 07:19 AM   #18
Taz@Evolve
Rep

So alterations, so to speak continued today in a slightly different form.

Coding time to add some additionally well needed changes to the car.

Mirror closing to very little time on the fob.
Angel eyes full brightness constant.
DVD in motion
Front fogs and door lights on when opening.
Appreciate 1
      05-18-2016, 10:54 PM   #19
Dandanbmw
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Bmw 640d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz@Evolve
So alterations, so to speak continued today in a slightly different form.

Coding time to add some additionally well needed changes to the car.

Mirror closing to very little time on the fob.
Angel eyes full brightness constant.
DVD in motion
Front fogs and door lights on when opening.
I was going to have the angel eyes to full brightness all the time but was advised I'd get pulled over so didn't bother. I do like the m6 active sound and a few other bits I had done.
      05-19-2016, 02:24 PM   #20
Acexxon
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 F06 M6 F87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by NINJA59 View Post
Me Waffling on (Long Version):

The ultimate ideal is you buy coilovers, but naturally a decent set of coilovers is a large outlay (from memory the MX5 ones are around £1500-£3000 (penske are available for the MX5 ), KW do a set for the 6GC they are about £2500-£3000). The main reason being you get better "matched" spring rates and the rebound from the shock absorber (within reason and depending on the level of adjustment), as it was designed all at the same time.

A similar thing can be done by buying new shock absorber to go with the springs (I did this on the MX5 "upgrading" the standard "black" Hitachi shocks to the Bilstein versions seen on the sport versions (although a shortened version to make it a little lower, but the shock and spring were specced together so a similar result as the coilover, just without the adjustable nature)). I find coilovers a bit of compromise as if you "increase" or "decrease" the ride height you change the geo of the car, so the only "real" reason is the firmness of the damping going on (soft front, hard rear etc.)

The "cheapest" way is you change just the spring, main reason for doing it...looks more than anything else.

Technically, the shock will be less suited to the new spring as it was designed to go with the longer spring by the OEM. In many cases most aftermarket ones increase the spring rate to compensate, but that of course brings issues around ride etc. and in some cases of course brings issues of bump stops etc.

The other problem with lowering a car is actually increased body roll....but lets not get into that!

Blame my MX5 for all of this and it being on a Hunter machine every 6-8 months.... (do not forget in most cases it is worth having an alignment done after lowering, a thing easily forgotten by many ).

Short Version:

All comes down to cost (££££).

NB: Before I get tempted I am banned from lowering our GC....
Thanks, but then if we 6er owners were to change to something like the KW, we will loose the electronic damping control and although coilovers are adjustable, I will be stuck to one suspension setting for all different ride modes (comfort/sport/sport+) right?
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2016, 10:00 AM   #21
Taz@Evolve
Rep

Cool

Oh No!!!!

Actually i mean OH YES!

This is happening today.

Appreciate 0
      05-21-2016, 12:30 PM   #22
6coupe
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M6 GC

Quote:
Oh No!!!!

Actually i mean OH YES!

This is happening today.

Is this having the car remapped on a bench?

I'd be very interested in hearing about the evolve remap. I've had the car 13 days and already want to 'make it mine' but it's mostly perfect, very little to do. I've been looking at the BSR remap, but can find very little online about them, how well it worked etc.

Look forward to any updates.
Appreciate 0