BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

04-03-2008, 02:34 AM   #45
nightkhan
Private Woodman
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i, JB, Space Rocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyhgaryh View Post
Isn't that Ferarri in the foreground red?
haha...yes, just caught that edited!
Current: E92 328i, Sports Package, 335i wheels, Power Seats, BMW Assist/Bluetooth, IPod/USB, heated seats, //M Short Shifter
Future Mods: 19" CSL's, KW V2, 15mm spacer, tints
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2008, 03:21 AM   #46
Comet
Troll Harder
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 997 GT3, 997 4 GTS, X6M

Garage List
these are both my cars

I'll take better pics of the parking later when I get home
Attached Images

04-03-2008, 08:08 AM   #47
CnoteMD
Commander in Chief
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 535i

Garage List
2008 M5  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobver View Post
CnoteMD,

Garage height is just over 10'.

Bob
Thanks for the info. I think my upcoming garage has a 9 ft ceiling height (maybe 9 1/2 feet max). I don't think I'll be able to manage a lift in there.

There was another home with 11 1/2 ft garage ceilings, but I had to base my decision on the overall home. Otherwise, my wife would have had me literally living in that garage.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2008, 08:25 AM   #48
Neurorad
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 340xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkcloud View Post
What about Nature stone? You've prolly seen it but heres a site....

http://www.naturestonefloors.com/GarageFlooring.php
It's epoxy with flecks.

Epoxy for industrial applications may be more durable. Some of the commercial flooring websites I found describe 4 layers.

Like someone said, I bet epoxy durability has everything to do with a clean surface to start; that will be tough with my 15 year old partially painted, stained garage floor.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2008, 09:20 PM   #49
StewtheBassman
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5d 421,000kms

Hi Guys,

Thanks for making this thread interesting!

I have been swamped the last couple of days.....working - AND helping out a bit with the details on the house building.

They put the drain in yesterday, tamped the sand down today, and I think this evening they poured the cement for the front steps and the garage floor! I also instructed the plumber where to put my hose outlet (next to the garage sink).

I'm looking madly at different cabinet arrangements...I really like that Closet maid setup, but I think I need to make a trip to Home Depot to see if they sell ALL the parts.

Most of the best stuff comes from the US, and they are picky about shipping to Canada.

Appreciate 0
      04-04-2008, 07:38 AM   #50
Neurorad
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by StewtheBassman View Post
Hi Guys,

Thanks for making this thread interesting!

I have been swamped the last couple of days.....working - AND helping out a bit with the details on the house building.

They put the drain in yesterday, tamped the sand down today, and I think this evening they poured the cement for the front steps and the garage floor! I also instructed the plumber where to put my hose outlet (next to the garage sink).

I'm looking madly at different cabinet arrangements...I really like that Closet maid setup, but I think I need to make a trip to Home Depot to see if they sell ALL the parts.

Most of the best stuff comes from the US, and they are picky about shipping to Canada.
AHHHHHHHHH! I have a spigot/hose outlet in my garage, came with the house. The paint on the sheetrock around the spigot is trash, I guess from spraying from the hose attachment. Replace your hose plastic washers regularly.

A couple months ago, I had a plumber add a spigot to my house, outside the garage, between 2 of the garage bays.

Two weeks ago, when another plumber came, I asked him how much to add hot water to that outside spigot - $240, and the drywall in the garage is still open from the last plumber.
Name:  hot-and-cold-outdoor-faucet.jpg
Views: 2288
Size:  4.7 KB
http://www.luxuryhousingtrends.com/a...oor_faucet.php

I'm seriously considering doing this; maybe with a few more estimates, I can find someone cheaper. $240 too expensive.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2008, 09:22 AM   #51
StewtheBassman
Major General
Canada
Rep

Update:

So after pricing out a beautiful combo of Gladiator Cabinets...

http://www.gladiatorgw.com/home.jsp

and realizing how little they would really get used...haha

I went and got a bunch of these at Zeller's:

http://www.jnkproducts.com/ultimate-title.htm

3 wall cabs, 1 tall cab, and two base units with 3 drawers each.

I have also decided to go with the epoxy flooring. It seems to be a great balance of cost versus utility and good looks. I read the instructions and it appears that I will have to schedule it carefully between the day the workers don't need the garage and our move date!

As for overhead storage and the like, I will hang my kayak up with one of those pulley setups, and hang ladders and the like by the stairwell....will post pics soon!

Appreciate 0
      04-10-2008, 12:26 PM   #52
AwesomeM3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F95 X5MC

Garage List
2015 BMW X5 M  [10.00]
2020 BMW X5M Compet ...  [0.00]
2008 M3  [10.00]
Sounds like a plan! The cabinets look real nice, and you will be very happy with the epoxy floor. It's pretty easy to do and is a fraction of the cost (in terms of labor and material) of the tiles.

Good luck and I'm looking forward to some pics!
      04-10-2008, 12:44 PM   #53
Neurorad
Major
Rep

That's great news!

Lots of different types of epoxy flooring. You might want to track down some info on which one to be installed.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2008, 12:48 PM   #54
Couch
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Update:

So after pricing out a beautiful combo of Gladiator Cabinets...

http://www.gladiatorgw.com/home.jsp

and realizing how little they would really get used...haha

I went and got a bunch of these at Zeller's:

http://www.jnkproducts.com/ultimate-title.htm

3 wall cabs, 1 tall cab, and two base units with 3 drawers each.

I have also decided to go with the epoxy flooring. It seems to be a great balance of cost versus utility and good looks. I read the instructions and it appears that I will have to schedule it carefully between the day the workers don't need the garage and our move date!

As for overhead storage and the like, I will hang my kayak up with one of those pulley setups, and hang ladders and the like by the stairwell....will post pics soon!
Those are really nice.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2008, 01:50 PM   #55
CnoteMD
Commander in Chief
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 535i

Garage List
2008 M5  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Wow, this thread is giving me too many ideas. After doing a bit more research on Epoxy flooring, I realize that I would never be able to do this myself. If I go that route, I will need professional help.

Has anyone looked into Premiergarage.com ? It looks like a very professional system with a decent warranty. After checking out prices on floor tiles, the price adds up very quickly for a 3 car garage.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2008, 02:24 PM   #56
AwesomeM3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F95 X5MC

Garage List
2015 BMW X5 M  [10.00]
2020 BMW X5M Compet ...  [0.00]
2008 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CnoteMD View Post
Wow, this thread is giving me too many ideas. After doing a bit more research on Epoxy flooring, I realize that I would never be able to do this myself. If I go that route, I will need professional help.

Has anyone looked into Premiergarage.com ? It looks like a very professional system with a decent warranty. After checking out prices on floor tiles, the price adds up very quickly for a 3 car garage.
It's not that difficult to do the epoxy floor by yourself. I did my 3 car garage myself, and the cost of the kits was relatively cheap. Give it some more thought!
      04-10-2008, 03:36 PM   #57
Neurorad
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomeM3 View Post
It's not that difficult to do the epoxy floor by yourself. I did my 3 car garage myself, and the cost of the kits was relatively cheap. Give it some more thought!

Lots of work to prep the floor, for an old garage like mine.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2008, 09:54 PM   #58
StewtheBassman
Major General
Canada
Rep

Pretty much all that seems to be available locally is the Rustoleum stuff which sells under a variety of different brand names here in Canada...That's cool, I should get the whole thing done for about $350...and my time of course, which I know I will have to invest to do it right.

Thanks for the compliments on the cabinets...they don't have anything fancy inside like multiple sliding drawers or anything, but they will hide my stuff and tha is all I need, really. Once the proverbial dust settles I'll see if I need one of those nice rolling tool chests with the ball bearing drawers.....but I don't really do a lot of projects in the garage so that may be a waste of money also!

Interestingly, for those gorgeous Gladiator cabs, it would have been around $3000 delivered for a 6' work bench, two rolling base units, a tall cab and 3 hanging 12" units....I got my 7 pieces from Zeller's for $950......my wife liked them from the get-go but I wanted the fancy shiny stuff until I realized how little I would use it...then my cheap side came on and I'm happy it did!

Appreciate 0
      04-11-2008, 03:34 PM   #59
gadget
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 e92///M SSII DCT

Need help with an Idea

In our garage, all the JUNK (kids’ bikes etc) is located around my Z since my wife’s minivan is much bigger. She needs extra space to put kids in car seats etc. I really don’t care about my Z that much, but really want to take care of my M when it arrives.

Although still a few months away, I have already began upgrading the garage. I just had a new opener installed and will have the walls painted as well as epoxy on the floor.

So here is where I need the help. I want to put up a divider wall to separate my car from the bikes and other stuff to prevent the M from getting scratched.

At first I was thinking about building a divider wall but I like to wash the garage with water and this would not allow me do washed it any more. (Currently the drywall starts about 1 foot above the floor. But the drywall on the divider wall would be to close to the ground etc.)

Can some please give an idea on what to use as a divider. I need something sturdy that would get tipped over on the front of my car and is also water proof.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Diagram of what i need.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      04-11-2008, 06:28 PM   #60
StewtheBassman
Major General
Canada
Rep

Hey gadget, how about posting a photo of the junk you need to store? I'll bet a lot of it can be hung or suspended somewhere........

Appreciate 0
      04-13-2008, 02:44 PM   #61
StewtheBassman
Major General
Canada
Rep

So now I'm having some angst.....the lady at the flooring shop says that Porcelain Tiles are the Bomb for garages, strong, easy to clean, etc.....but more expensive.....NOW.... do I go with that or epoxy? Does anyone have tiles???

Appreciate 0
      04-13-2008, 03:30 PM   #62
Neurorad
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadget View Post
In our garage, all the JUNK (kids’ bikes etc) is located around my Z since my wife’s minivan is much bigger. She needs extra space to put kids in car seats etc. I really don’t care about my Z that much, but really want to take care of my M when it arrives.

Although still a few months away, I have already began upgrading the garage. I just had a new opener installed and will have the walls painted as well as epoxy on the floor.

So here is where I need the help. I want to put up a divider wall to separate my car from the bikes and other stuff to prevent the M from getting scratched.

At first I was thinking about building a divider wall but I like to wash the garage with water and this would not allow me do washed it any more. (Currently the drywall starts about 1 foot above the floor. But the drywall on the divider wall would be to close to the ground etc.)

Can some please give an idea on what to use as a divider. I need something sturdy that would get tipped over on the front of my car and is also water proof.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Diagram of what i need.
The kids are going to 'drag' their stuff to the back of the garage, hitting your car as they walk by.

Can you get a 2nd dividing wall, separating your car from the other, so the kids have to walk on the other side of the wall? Maybe a short wall...
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2008, 03:32 PM   #63
Neurorad
Major
Rep

Make space for the junk between the minivan and the 'steps' walll, not in front of your car. +1 hang it on the wall.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2008, 03:34 PM   #64
Neurorad
Major
Rep

These are good for sports stuff and kids' toys:

Name:  5137VCVNYSL._SS260_.jpg
Views: 1946
Size:  13.0 KB

How old are the kids? What kind of junk?
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2008, 03:56 PM   #65
garyhgaryh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Supercharged e30 M3

Quote:
So now I'm having some angst.....the lady at the flooring shop says that Porcelain Tiles are the Bomb for garages, strong, easy to clean, etc.....but more expensive.....NOW.... do I go with that or epoxy? Does anyone have tiles???
I have garage titles which are basically plastic tiles. If there is one bad thing I can say, it would be this: Contact with paint thinner or similiar products will cause the tiles to warp. I dropped a container of thinner on the floor, picked it up and put it back in the cabinet I use just for chemicals. It leaked out onto the tiles. Those tiles curled up. Good thing is that you can easily replace them..I'm not exactly sure how to do it without getting to the edge tiles, but I heard it was possible. I'll take some pics and upload it later today. Otherwise, I love the garage tiles.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2008, 03:59 PM   #66
StewtheBassman
Major General
Canada
Rep

Hey Gary, your experience is a good warning! It seems epoxy and porcelain are resistant to that kind of stuff....otherwise imagine trying to change tiles....!!!

Appreciate 0