BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

07-31-2023, 03:06 AM   #1
m6_paloalto_2017
Rep
Drives: M62017

Why do I love my M6 2017 GC so much?

now with 73 K miles, bought with 49K miles

How dearly I need some help with this from other owners and great minds of the BMW community. I recently had an exhaust leak covered by Fidelity (just before warranty expired) and a lot of maintenance work spark plugs, oil, filters, and many other things...

It is driving better than ever ... I was thinking of selling it but every time I drive it I just can't get over how perfect of machine it is.

My dear Brother's in Arms / Sisters in Arms please help me understand this...
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      07-31-2023, 09:46 AM   #2
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Visceral...is the word that comes to mind when I hear or read what many f06/f12/f13 owners speak or write about their ownership of these vehicles:
Visceral feelings are feelings that you feel very deeply and find it difficult to control or ignore, and that are not the result of thought.
Intellect or logic is not necessarily the reason why someone owns or holds on to these vehicles. But the visual, the feel, the response of the engine, interior, & exterior all have a visceral affect in evoking our emotions...it bypasses our brain and goes straight to our hearts...dare I say our souls.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 2
      07-31-2023, 09:52 AM   #3
jjgrizz73
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M6 GC

I went to sell my 15 GC a few times and then I drive it and realize it’s absolutely the perfect car for me. I have a few kids so it’s big enough for that, and still runs very well. I’ve had way faster cars but this car is a great balance.

Enjoy and good luck!!
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2023, 03:04 PM   #4
m6_paloalto_2017
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
Visceral...is the word that comes to mind when I hear or read what many f06/f12/f13 owners speak or write about their ownership of these vehicles:
Visceral feelings are feelings that you feel very deeply and find it difficult to control or ignore, and that are not the result of thought.
Intellect or logic is not necessarily the reason why someone owns or holds on to these vehicles. But the visual, the feel, the response of the engine, interior, & exterior all have a visceral affect in evoking our emotions...it bypasses our brain and goes straight to our hearts...dare I say our souls.
Yes, you nailed it!
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2023, 03:07 PM   #5
m6_paloalto_2017
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjgrizz73 View Post
I went to sell my 15 GC a few times and then I drive it and realize it’s absolutely the perfect car for me. I have a few kids so it’s big enough for that, and still runs very well. I’ve had way faster cars but this car is a great balance.

Enjoy and good luck!!
Of note, recently in Germany I rented the 2023 M8 Convertible, perhaps because it was brand new and not broken in, I really preferred my M6 with CP.
Appreciate 1
      07-31-2023, 03:31 PM   #6
TinCanSailor
Fueled by Recycled Dinosaurs!
Rep
Drives: F06 M6

Garage List
Quote:
Visceral is exactly the word I have been looking for. I have had my problems with my car and continue to work through them. A lot of folks that I know ask me why do I keep it.

I tell them that I Love my people, family friends and colleagues, so I hold that word near and dear to my heart and stop short of using it to describe my affinity to it. The word visceral has been in my lexicon for a long time but hadn't been able to land on it when explaining this to folks.
2015 F06 M6 Silverstone Metallic II, Individual Full Leather, B&O, Night Vis, CCB, RKAutowerks (CP Rods/Pistons, DI Cams, CF Intakes, Coated DP's & Billet Diff Brace), InfinityAuto Turbo Inlets, Mishi Oil Cooler, JB4, XHP S3, BM S3
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2023, 04:17 PM   #7
m6_paloalto_2017
Rep

TinCanSailor,

I hear ya! Well when I drive it, I think to myself, wow, there must be some gals and dudes somewhere in Germany that really love what they do and sharing something very special like art at the Louvre or something. Thanks for all the sharing so far. Very helpful to know it is not "just me" and something elusive , deep and beautiful going on here.
Appreciate 1
      08-02-2023, 04:41 PM   #8
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

With BMW's latest design principles...I'm not impressed at all...and have no desire to move on or up to them. But when I look at the F chassis 6 series...it looks like a piece of art...externally and internally, too. The waterfall dash is unique to the F06/F12/F13...I'm so glad that BMW didn't use that interior design in any other model during the production of the last 6 series. I read where some people think it is "dated"...but I'm still wowed by its design and flow.

I also like the way it feels when you run your hand over the body panels when you're washing/drying the vehicle. I can easily equate the words of John Mayer's song..."your body is a wonderland" to my inanimate 6GC. She's still a head turner/neck turner when I walk away or walk up to her. I even roll the windows down in the garage to hear the rumble of the exhaust system.

I'll stop because I know I'm preaching to the choir.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 1
      08-02-2023, 05:46 PM   #9
TinCanSailor
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

With BMW's latest design principles...I'm not impressed at all...and have no desire to move on or up to them. But when I look at the F chassis 6 series...it looks like a piece of art...externally and internally, too. The waterfall dash is unique to the F06/F12/F13...I'm so glad that BMW didn't use that interior design in any other model during the production of the last 6 series. I read where some people think it is "dated"...but I'm still wowed by its design and flow.

I also like the way it feels when you run your hand over the body panels when you're washing/drying the vehicle. I can easily equate the words of John Mayer's song..."your body is a wonderland" to my inanimate 6GC. She's still a head turner/neck turner when I walk away or walk up to her. I even roll the windows down in the garage to hear the rumble of the exhaust system.

Agreed on the new design approach. To me it just does not have continuity inside and out. I am pretty sure that it will go down in history as an ageless and eternally beautiful and fun car to drive. Add to that it can comfortably transport 4 people and reasonably good trunk space.
2015 F06 M6 Silverstone Metallic II, Individual Full Leather, B&O, Night Vis, CCB, RKAutowerks (CP Rods/Pistons, DI Cams, CF Intakes, Coated DP's & Billet Diff Brace), InfinityAuto Turbo Inlets, Mishi Oil Cooler, JB4, XHP S3, BM S3
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2023, 08:53 AM   #10
machareus
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '15 F06 M6 CP, '21 Alpina XB7

Quote:

The waterfall dash is unique to the F06/F12/F13...I'm so glad that BMW didn't use that interior design in any other model during the production of the last 6 series. I read where some people think it is "dated"...but I'm still wowed by its design and flow.
I also love the dash design, especially in full leather. The angle of the waterfall creates such a cool cockpit...the steering wheel and gauges but also the center controls, screen, and gear shifter are all on the driver's side of that prominent dividing line. The passenger only gets the unlockable glovebox and because we're gracious drivers also some arm rest. Some other cars do this like the C8 Corvette and to a lesser extent the McLaren P1 but I think the M6 executed this perfectly for the character of the car.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2023, 09:28 AM   #11
TinCanSailor
Rep

Garage List
It is a very nice cockpit for sure. The only thing I want for is a spot to set my phone for charging and nav.
Appreciate 1
mikerx5461.00
      08-03-2023, 12:04 PM   #12
Chilldontsice
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F06 MG GC

Have to agree the car is amazing. I originally purchased it as an “in between car” when the tranny in my e60 went out and was awaiting the f90 LCI but I think I’m keeping it for good.

It just drives and handles so well for a car it’s size and not to mention it’s quite the looker. I get compliments literally everyday at stop lights and gas stations. I feel like it’s aging fairly well.

I agree the newer models aren’t really my cup of tea- too much going on with them which is disappointing as I would want to stick to the brand as the driving dynamics is something that remains superior.
Appreciate 1
mikerx5461.00
      08-06-2023, 12:37 AM   #13
m6_paloalto_2017
Rep

Quote:

Bravo Bravo
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2023, 04:26 PM   #14
danielgmanm6
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW ///M6 F13

Garage List
2013 Bmw M6  [0.00]
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by m6_paloalto_2017 View Post

now with 73 K miles, bought with 49K miles

How dearly I need some help with this from other owners and great minds of the BMW community. I recently had an exhaust leak covered by Fidelity (just before warranty expired) and a lot of maintenance work spark plugs, oil, filters, and many other things...

It is driving better than ever ... I was thinking of selling it but every time I drive it I just can't get over how perfect of machine it is.

My dear Brother's in Arms / Sisters in Arms please help me understand this...

I've never been so paranoid owning a car before. A part of me loves it and wants to keep it forever, the other part thinks it's a ticking time bomb. I start it and wonder if it's going to blow up. While it's not a very reliable and its very expensive to fix I love this car. There's nothing close to 50k with this performance.
Appreciate 3
Kick 6285.00
mikerx5461.00
      08-06-2023, 06:46 PM   #15
TinCanSailor
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielgmanm6 View Post
I've never been so paranoid owning a car before. A part of me loves it and wants to keep it forever, the other part thinks it's a ticking time bomb. I start it and wonder if it's going to blow up. While it's not a very reliable and its very expensive to fix I love this car. There's nothing close to 50k with this performance.
If you are not tuning the car or riding it hard it can be a very fun and lengthy ownership experience. I think the most frightening thing is the bearings and if you budget for it and schedule the replacement before it schedules itself you'll be good to go.
Appreciate 1
arucano250.50
      08-07-2023, 02:00 AM   #16
danielgmanm6
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW ///M6 F13

Garage List
2013 Bmw M6  [0.00]
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinCanSailor View Post
If you are not tuning the car or riding it hard it can be a very fun and lengthy ownership experience. I think the most frightening thing is the bearings and if you budget for it and schedule the replacement before it schedules itself you'll be good to go.

Unfortunately, from my research anyhow, any model year can blow up. We've had members tuned/untuned, all model years, maintained cars, low mileage etc list goes on and on. I was going to get the rod bearings done at 50k miles but there cars on here blowing before that. Heck, youve had two blown motors!! I know how i take care of my stuff, but man im def paranoid about things lol .
Appreciate 1
      08-07-2023, 10:21 AM   #17
TinCanSailor
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielgmanm6 View Post
Unfortunately, from my research anyhow, any model year can blow up. We've had members tuned/untuned, all model years, maintained cars, low mileage etc list goes on and on. I was going to get the rod bearings done at 50k miles but there cars on here blowing before that. Heck, youve had two blown motors!! I know how i take care of my stuff, but man im def paranoid about things lol .
I would definitely do it sooner than 50k miles. The first motor that went had the bearings done at around 50k miles and that was done by BMW. The second engine going was on me; I should have been more conservative on the use of the car while continuing to build it out. Honestly, I should have been a bit more paranoid but got caught up in the moment.
Appreciate 1
      08-07-2023, 03:01 PM   #18
hirkaismyname
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F06 CP GC

At what mileage should you do it at TinCanSailor
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2023, 04:54 PM   #19
PARANOlD
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 Sapphire Black

Anyone care to mention what the damn rod bearings cost to replace!? I come from owning N54s and they didn't have this problem, at least not as bad
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2023, 05:25 PM   #20
TinCanSailor
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hirkaismyname View Post
At what mileage should you do it at TinCanSailor
I would suggest as soon as possible. Look at ACL or King bearings when you do it.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2023, 05:46 PM   #21
TinCanSailor
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PARANOlD View Post
Anyone care to mention what the damn rod bearings cost to replace!? I come from owning N54s and they didn't have this problem, at least not as bad
Bearings will cost about 500 to 600 dollars. Labor will vary. If your shop has the ability to restrain the engine, there is a tool needed to do this, then all they have to do is drop the lower assembly, lower and upper oil pan etc. Other option is drop the whole engine put the engine on a stand and open the bottom up.

If you have to go the second route you might as well do rods and pistons, it will add some cost but your engine is already in the spot it would need to be in to pull that off. Technically I think they could do rods and pistons with the engine in the car with the lower assembly out but not sure if that would be easier than dropping the entire thing out.

Chat with your indy bmw shop for labor quotes.
Appreciate 1
      08-24-2023, 09:14 PM   #22
zeges09
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW

I went to sell my 15 GC a few times and then I drive it and realize it’s absolutely the perfect car for me. I have a family so it’s big enough for that, and still runs very well.
Appreciate 0