BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

06-22-2014, 11:24 AM   #1
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

My Test Drive of the New M3

OK wrong forum, but I just thought as many have not yet had the pleasure, well you know.

Hi All, drove the new M3 today, bright sunny conditions.
Car came in Black metallic with Red Leather.
Not my cup of tea, but the M4 in the showroom was just great in it’s colour.
Which was Silverstone Grey Metallic.

First impressions :
It feels more like a “Boy racer” come “Go Cart” to me.
Most suited to tight “B” road blasting, it handled the corners on “A/B” roads very well.
I went hard at it, but the car is forgiving and largely kept it’s line through the corners with little over/under steer.

Interior very 3 series and nothing special at all, this lets the whole car down IMO, just too cheap looking.

Seats:
Sports Seats look great, but were not very comfortable for me, especially over a long distance they would give me a neck ache.
Upgraded “M multi-function seats” (if available) would be my choice.

Rear seats had good knee room, but again a bit upright for us on a longish journey could prove a problem for some.

Boot looked small. Rear seats folded.

The car is and felt very light and at a steady 80 MPH shows 2200 RPM in7th.
Exhaust sound was ok over 5K RPM but droned a bit at lower RPM and whilst cruising, this again may upset some so a long test drive is what I would recommend to all.

Was It as quick as my LCI........................NO sorry it was not.
The M5 is just bonkers fast in comparison in our opinion.
I us my wife as a gauge for tyre mashing , and she agreed the M5 is KING.

Straight line speed the M3 was out gunned, but give it a twisty road and it would win.

Do I want one?. NO my M6 GC CP will be more to my liking, with a classy interior to match.

Just my view guys, go test and report yourselves.
Pictures M4 only.
Attached Images

06-22-2014, 12:25 PM   #2
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep
Drives: F92 M8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNBMWM5 View Post
Interior very 3 series and nothing special at all, this lets the whole car down IMO, just too cheap looking.
I saw an M4 in dealership yesterday, but since it was sitting in showroom, I did not have chance to test drive it. The car had full leather interior and I loved it. It's not as gorgeous as My full leather M6, but for sure it's not like a 3 series and "too cheap looking" The interesting thing is how people compare M4 to M6!!!! they are not comparable. two different animals with M badge. For sure I'm not gonna trade in my M6 to get M4, but I may get an M4 as the second car if I want to have the second car
I need to wait to see when this " M3/M4 honeymoon party" will pass and then test drive the car and push it to the limit. It should be a fun car for sure but not the same powerful, luxury, comfort, classy and gorgeous M6 is and that's why it's almost half the price
M3/M4 are sport (mostly track) cars, while M5/M6 are sport-luxury DD cars (IMO)
Gone : 2013 F13 Sakhir Orange M6 -7DCT
Gone: 2013 F13 Alpine White 650i -ZF8
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2014, 12:40 PM   #3
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M6-Coupe View Post
It should be a fun car for sure but not the same powerful, luxury, comfort, classy and gorgeous M6 is and that's why it's almost half the price
M3/M4 are sport (mostly track) cars, while M5/M6 are sport-luxury DD cars (IMO)
A fun Car for sure it is, as you say "NOT the same powerful, luxury, comfort, classy and gorgeous as our M5/6 cars".
A second car yep if I could go to it.
It will suit a lot of people I am in no doubt , just my observation on a day when I thrashed it.
      06-22-2014, 01:11 PM   #4
Twitch Massacre
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8

Garage List
I12 BMW i8  [0.00]
F13 BMW M6  [0.00]
I too think the interior on the M4 with the full leather option looks pretty good. This isn't a luxury high performance GT like the M6 though, it's more of a sports coupe. What it lacks in luxury it makes up for in handling. In the end, two different cars for different applications. Wouldn't be bad to have as a "for fun" option alongside the M6.
Coming Soon:
2016 BMW M4 GTS De-Winged and Bagged on 22s
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2014, 01:32 PM   #5
m6beast
Captain
Rep
Drives: stock m6

I drove the M3 too during the week. A nice car I can say but like you said when you own a M6 and M5 you kind of get spoiled. I was considering of getting a M3 for a daily but I'm glad I got the M5 instead.
More power that's for sure from the M5 but that is to be expected. It felt good comfy and handles well.
It even sounded pretty good from the cockpit not sure on the outside but I can say I enjoyed the ride. I feel like I would get tired of this car very easy which is unlike me for a M car. Sticker on this car was 90k fully loaded way out price I think for what you get.
As comparing my M5 to this, M5 is everything I was looking for.

I really hope they come up with an M2 I feel that's the car That will bridge the gap between my collection. The M4 and M3 are nice cars eapecially if you have a budget compared to the M5 and M6. If they come up with a M2 i feel this will be a perfect track and road course car with a little bit of modding.

Either way I like my M cars and can't get enough of them hopefully BMW continues to satisfy me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNBMWM5 View Post
OK wrong forum, but I just thought as many have not yet had the pleasure, well you know.

Hi All, drove the new M3 today, bright sunny conditions.
Car came in Black metallic with Red Leather.
Not my cup of tea, but the M4 in the showroom was just great in it’s colour.
Which was Silverstone Grey Metallic.

First impressions :
It feels more like a “Boy racer” come “Go Cart” to me.
Most suited to tight “B” road blasting, it handled the corners on “A/B” roads very well.
I went hard at it, but the car is forgiving and largely kept it’s line through the corners with little over/under steer.

Seats:
Sports Seats look great, but were not very comfortable for me, especially over a long distance they would give me a neck ache.
Upgraded “M multi-function seats” (if available) would be my choice.

Rear seats had good knee room, but again a bit upright for us on a longish journey could prove a problem for some.

Boot looked small. Rear seats folded.

The car is and felt very light and at a steady 80 MPH shows 2200 RPM in7th.
Exhaust sound was ok over 5K RPM but droned a bit at lower RPM and whilst cruising, this again may upset some so a long test drive is what I would recommend to all.

Was It as quick as my LCI........................NO sorry it was not.
The M5 is just bonkers fast in comparison in our opinion.
I us my wife as a gauge for tyre mashing , and she agreed the M5 is KING.

Straight line speed the M3 was out gunned, but give it a twisty road and it would win.

Do I want one?. NO my M6 GC CP will be more to my liking, with a classy interior to match.

Just my view guys, go test and report yourselves.
Pictures M4 only.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2014, 01:41 PM   #6
Hunter5179
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M6 Coupe

Agreed
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2014, 01:49 PM   #7
Schnell_1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 F13

With the increases of power, price, performance, luxury and styling for the new M3/M4, the disparity gap from the M5/M6 has been closed (it's a little too close now IMO). I think this will mean good things for the next iterations of the M5/M6, as hopefully BMW will further widen and reestablish the gap and subsequently release a killer nextgen m5/m6....
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2014, 11:29 PM   #8
BTF13M6
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M6 Coupe

I drove it this weekend, along with the Carrera S. I know I sound like a BMW homer, but the M4 is quicker, more luxurious and more comfortable than the S.

It's no M6 though.

20" ADV.1 5.0 MV1SL with Pirelli Pzero's
Custom Painted Grill, side markers and tinted front reflectors, Dinan Stage 1.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2014, 08:18 AM   #9
MattUK
Captain Unsensible
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 M240i Coupe - Estoril

Garage List
2016 BMW M240i  [0.00]
I was invited to the launch and considered a drive, but decided that I've just ordered my GC so I'm as M'd up as I can be for the next few years and I don't want to get in one and find anything I like about the 3/4 yet hate about the GC so I'll not tempt fate or myself
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2014, 08:21 AM   #10
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattUK View Post
I was invited to the launch and considered a drive, but decided that I've just ordered my GC so I'm as M'd up as I can be for the next few years and I don't want to get in one and find anything I like about the 3/4 yet hate about the GC so I'll not tempt fate or myself
No worries there Matt, the M6 is still KING.
      06-24-2014, 01:08 PM   #11
noushy
///M Fan
Rep
Drives: M8 Comp, X5M Comp, iX M60

Our dealership has a mineral gray on black. Nice but the full leather does not include the door lowers. Compared to a M6 with full leather it doesn't even come close. Nice car but clearly the $50k price difference shows. Ours was well equipped at $77100. My M6 was $131000 with the individual paint. I think most of them will sell in the mid $70s which is a lot for a 3/4 series based car in my opinion.

Noushy
2023 Audi RS6 Avant Daytona Gray/Black
2024 BMW X5M Comp Brooklyn Gray/Taruma Brown, Titanium Exhaust on order
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2014, 02:31 PM   #12
MattUK
Captain Unsensible
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 M240i Coupe - Estoril

Garage List
2016 BMW M240i  [0.00]
I love the banter over on M3 v M5 replies .. I remember being that defensive of my M3's, M3 CSL still remains the best car I've ever owned.. I don't see the GC beating it either, but as everyone is saying .. Different car.. Different requirements.

So.. Another dilema.. If they are calling the M5 drivers old and fat, what are M6 drivers...

Hehe
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2014, 03:09 PM   #13
Hunter5179
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M6 Coupe

Quote:
I love the banter over on M3 v M5 replies .. I remember being that defensive of my M3's, M3 CSL still remains the best car I've ever owned.. I don't see the GC beating it either, but as everyone is saying .. Different car.. Different requirements.

So.. Another dilema.. If they are calling the M5 drivers old and fat, what are M6 drivers...

Hehe
Badasses!
Appreciate 1
      06-24-2014, 04:15 PM   #14
Twitch Massacre
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8

Garage List
I12 BMW i8  [0.00]
F13 BMW M6  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter5179
Quote:

Hehe
Badasses!
Yessir. Badasses it is.
Coming Soon:
2016 BMW M4 GTS De-Winged and Bagged on 22s
Appreciate 0