BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

03-24-2020, 11:45 AM   #1
NytWolf
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 F10, 2015 F30, 2008 E60

New 2014 M6 GC Owner with Questions

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Hi all, I am a proud owner of a new-to-me 2014 M6 GC (early-2013 build) with 56k miles on the clock. The dealer from which I purchased the car gave me a 45-day warranty for the car should anything go wrong. I'm on day 3 and counting down. So far, I have the following items that I would like to run by the collective brains here for feedback:

1. During a leisurely drive, I tried stomping on the gas a couple times and the car went into limp mode. This was not a launch control run. I ran an OBDII scan and got a P0306 code (cylinder 6 misfire). I did not erase the code. The limp mode went away after shutting off the engine and restarting. Is this anything I need to worry about? From the CARFAX records, the coils were replaced at 25k miles. I tried two similar hard runs yesterday evening but couldn't get the problem to repeat.

2. When putting the transmission into reverse, there was one time where the camera cover (BMW emblem) kept flipping back and forth as if it detected getting stuck. It hasn't repeated since. Is this just a glitch in the matrix, or a problem that is most likely going to bite my booty.

3. There were times when coasting from 30mph or 40mph, I would hear a high-pitched whine similar to differential noise. The sound is less pronounced when I accelerate again; the noise goes away completely at about 5mph if I come to a stop. Is this whine something to be abnormal or something I just need to turn up the VOL knob?

4. The car tracks straight without pulling to either side, but I notice the steering wheel is off to the left 5 degrees or so. During hard accelerations, the steering wheel turns even more left to about 10 degrees. The nose feels like it's lifting. Damaged or alignment issue?

5. The car has adaptive LED headlamps. When it's on, there are noticeable shadows. Turning on the automatic headlamp assistance doesn't change things (highs stay on due to oncoming lights). When I look at the beam pattern on my garage door, the hot spots are like inverted carots (^). On the road, the beam cutoff is 45 degrees, illuminating everything to the right of the cutoff only. It seems like the lights are rotated counterclockwise. There are shadows in the illumination also. Are they supposed to be like that? It's rather disappointing compared to my previous 2016 535's adaptive xenons. UPDATE: I attached two images to try and show the beam patterns.

Thanks ahead of time!
Attached Images

Last edited by NytWolf; 03-24-2020 at 10:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2020, 01:37 PM   #2
AlpineKing
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M6 GC

The light beam path definitely doesn't look correct. Unsure how that's actually possible unless the headlights were pulled/replaced. Does the vehicle have a clean Carfax?

#3: Depending on the deal you got, I'd inquire if the diff fluid has been changed, if not, might be a charge back to the dealer if you need to get it done.

For #4, have you taken it in for an alignment check?
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2020, 01:58 PM   #3
mikerx5
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 F06, 2022 G06

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineKing_M6GC View Post
The light beam path definitely doesn't look correct. Unsure how that's actually possible unless the headlights were pulled/replaced. Does the vehicle have a clean Carfax?

#3: Depending on the deal you got, I'd inquire if the diff fluid has been changed, if not, might be a charge back to the dealer if you need to get it done.

Double this - did you see a carfax? Thats a good amount of issues for something you just received.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2020, 04:07 PM   #4
NytWolf
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineKing_M6GC View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikerx5 View Post
Double this - did you see a carfax? Thats a good amount of issues for something you just received.
The CarFax shows minor front end damage, which I know could mean anything. From the way it looks though, it might be minor cosmetic damage that the owner wanted the insurance to fix.

I just dropped the vehicle off at the dealer with my list of items to be checked. I was able to replicate the misfire with the tech in the car, so that was good. They will check components and alignment, so hopefully they remedy the steering wheel.

As far as the diff, I'll just wait and see. He did order an inspection and repair on it. I couldn't get the whine to reproduce though.

It's hard to judge the conditions because I know that M-cars aren't as quiet as regular BMW's, but having not driven other M's, it's hard to tell which noise is normal and which isn't.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2020, 05:34 PM   #5
NytWolf
Private
Rep

Got off the phone with the service guy at the dealership. Update with this:

1. The misfire was indeed a bad ignition coil on cylinder 6. Replaced ignition coil.

2. They were able to duplicate the camera issue. Ordered camera, to be delivered and installed tomorrow.

3. They were unable to duplicate the whine noise nor was I. Strange. The diff is a sealed lifetime service component, so they don't typical open it up unless there was an apparent issue.

4. Alignment done, tech is taking it for a test drive.

5. Headlight diagnostics come back negative. He states that just might be the way the LED headlights are. Can somebody take a picture of their beam pattern and post it so I can be at ease? Or so I can show the tech what it's supposed to look like?

Thanks again!

Last edited by NytWolf; 03-25-2020 at 11:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2020, 04:22 PM   #6
m6NYC
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M6 Gran Coupé

I will post a picture tonight of my headlight pattern, from what i could remember they aren't perfect either and i could confirm that my front end is all completely original from factory.
A few pointers I could give you are to replace all ignition coils at the same time if money permits. I spent 3 days changing out a bad coil (inexperienced) working 1-2hrs daily only to have another fail 7 weeks later.

The whining noise but be a sign of low DCT fluid. I have a whine as well only in 1st and 2nd gears at very low speeds. At times the sound of the exhaust overpowers the whine to give you an idea. Doesn't affect shifting or power afaik. Will perform a fluid change for both my differential and DCT at 50k.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 08:59 AM   #7
HeyKC
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M6 CP

Hopefully these somewhat help.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 01:18 PM   #8
RagtagXMASTER
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 M6

The diff is serviceable, definitely change the fluid. I have one ripped apart in my garage from a friend of mine M6. it destroyed one ball bearing and the race it goes on. poor lubrication failure. these cars dont normally kill rear diffs but without changing the fluid it will. it is not lifetime fluid, i changed mine at 55k and was shocked how dirty it was, granted it also has clutch pack wear materials since new in it too so there is that. the fresh oil is much better.

you are just around the point to start doing fluid flushes and changes with your vehicle. while you are at it do the DCT too
      03-30-2020, 02:08 PM   #9
m6NYC
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M6 Gran Coupé

Hope this helps aswell
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 10:09 AM   #10
NytWolf
Private
Rep

Thanks for the pics, guys. Those beam patterns are pretty much how mine are. That does put me at ease that mine are operating normally.

As for the ignition coil, I haven't been able to replicate the misfire after they replaced it. I'll ride it out until I get another misfire. Hopefully I can put some miles before anymore are needed.

During the past few days of driving, the whine hasn't come back. I'll just keep an ear out for it though. I agree it's not lifetime fluid.

Right now, the car is back at the dealership for juddering steering. It seems to be intermittent, so I hope they can replicate and remedy it.

On a lighter note, I am enjoying my M6 when she's in my hands. I did discover that I have a heated steering wheel. This was something my previous F10 didn't have.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 03:39 PM   #11
MelbourneFinn
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2021 G30 M550i

Garage List
2021 BMW M550i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NytWolf View Post
Thanks for the pics, guys. Those beam patterns are pretty much how mine are. That does put me at ease that mine are operating normally.

As for the ignition coil, I haven't been able to replicate the misfire after they replaced it. I'll ride it out until I get another misfire. Hopefully I can put some miles before anymore are needed.

During the past few days of driving, the whine hasn't come back. I'll just keep an ear out for it though. I agree it's not lifetime fluid.

Right now, the car is back at the dealership for juddering steering. It seems to be intermittent, so I hope they can replicate and remedy it.

On a lighter note, I am enjoying my M6 when she's in my hands. I did discover that I have a heated steering wheel. This was something my previous F10 didn't have.
Apologies, this is not meant to be a smart @rse question, but is it possible that your steering judders as a result of active lane departure warning or side collision warning? Both cause the steering wheel to slightly “shake” when activated and you can also adjust them via iDrive. Sorry, had to ask...
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2020, 02:31 PM   #12
NytWolf
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelbourneFinn View Post
Apologies, this is not meant to be a smart @rse question, but is it possible that your steering judders as a result of active lane departure warning or side collision warning? Both cause the steering wheel to slightly “shake” when activated and you can also adjust them via iDrive. Sorry, had to ask...
No issues, as that is a valid question. My car doesn't have lane departure warning or side collision warning. The loaner they gave me has it and it feels different. Mine will judder even when stopped at a stoplight.

The dealer called me and gave me an update. They said they were able to get the juddering to repeat. They contacted BMWNA and they said it was normal behavior. They had two like M6's on their sister lot and the service guys over there repeated the juddering and said it was normal behavior also. To me, it doesn't seem normal.
Appreciate 0