BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

08-08-2016, 05:24 AM   #1
Dandanbmw
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Bmw 640d M Sport

Having had my 640d for 9 months now it still amazes me at how good it is as a all rounder.
It's been remapped so that helps of course but for such a big car it's quite impressive.

Yesterday their were some lads on a empty piece of road having a little play in their m3 e46, vxr Astra & s2000 and I thought let's see how the diesel gets on and it was significantly quicker than all three which shocked them but got a big thumbs up.

I was having a slow cruise and getting 54mpg before I saw them and even after a little controlled fun it had still averaged 47mpg over a 160mile trip which I think is very impressive for a heavy car that has between 360-380bhp.

Also in June I went to Santa pod and raced my friend in his remapped e92 m3 v8 and won every race which surprised us both.

I've recorded it 4.3 0-60 and 9.6 to 100mph.

I was thinking of what to change to which has the luxury and power combined with great mpg and I can't think of anything that's on the market as present so I'll keep smiling until the new six comes out I guess.
      08-08-2016, 06:12 AM   #2
Kopex47
England
Rep
Drives: 640d Msport Alpine White 2012

I am having my 640d remapped on Thursday, can`t wait to feel the difference. I am told it`s like night and day the difference between stock and remapped is it really that different Dandan?
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2016, 09:26 AM   #3
moff
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X4M Competition

I've had my car for 18 months (from new) and whilst I really like the car I get frustrated with it too. It's poor on B roads and country roads and doesn't really like to be 'hustled'. Yeah it's quite quick on straight roads, but I need a bit more.

Having said that, if I'm on a 150 mile motorway cruise it really is epic and I don't miss filling up every 200 miles as I did in my C63.

But when the right deal comes up I will be changing to an M4 CP (or maybe an M3). The mpg will frustrate a little but over 10,000 miles the overall price difference won't be too bad. The interior will frustrate too, but I will get the full leather dash to compensate.

One thing I won't miss are the totally useless rear seats and having to explain that although my car is nearly 5m long I cannot accomodate anything other than a piece of paper behind my seat ;-)

The 640d really has is killer looks though, I think the M4 looks a little confused from the side where the 6 series looks epic.

Gone: 2019 X3M Competition, Toronto Red, Adelaide Grey.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2016, 10:28 AM   #4
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandanbmw View Post
I was thinking of what to change to which has the luxury and power combined with great mpg and I can't think of anything that's on the market as present so I'll keep smiling until the new six comes out I guess.
I know exactly how you feel about this great car. I bought my 1 year old AUC 640i convertible in 2012 and was instantly delighted with it. Ok, the woolly steering is not its best feature but that's more than compensated in all other areas, especially long distance cruising comfort. I began to think of changing about 18 months ago, since when I've driven high end Audis, Mercs, A BMW 435 and a Porsche Macan. Some of these, the Macan in particular, handle and perform better, but nothing matches the overall satisfaction I get from the '6'.
So, I've given up trying to find anything better and have ordered a new 640i and I've added the Adaptive Drive option. I had this on my 535d and it transforms the ride plus sharpening up the steering.
Of course, I won't be getting anything like your diesel MPG but I average 30+ in mine and thats fine by me. I don't thing you buy a car like this if you're concerned about fuel consumption!
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2016, 03:26 PM   #5
The0pportunist
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Its crazy how many petrol performance cars the 640d will beat.

If you don't mind me asking, where did you get your remap done? Are you really getting 380bhp from a remap with no supporting mods? Thats nuts!!
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2016, 05:24 PM   #6
6coupe
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M6 GC

He's got the JF Automotive tune I believe. I have that map too.

This is from an email they sent me while I was deciding on the map;

JF Automotive can offer 3 different types of our tune for your BMW 640D 3.0 Twin Turbo 313BHP & 630Nm of Torque. These are,

JFA Economy Tune +25BHP & 50-60Nm of Torque - With up to 15% Fuel Saving
JFA Blend Tune +40BHP & 80-90Nm of Torque - With up to 10% Fuel Saving
JFA Performance Tune +50-60BHP & 100-120Nm of Torque - With up to 5-7% Fuel Saving
Appreciate 2
      08-31-2016, 05:35 PM   #7
Dandanbmw
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kopex47
I am having my 640d remapped on Thursday, can`t wait to feel the difference. I am told it`s like night and day the difference between stock and remapped is it really that different Dandan?
It is certainly noticeable.
Where are you getting it remapped also I advise using the rolling road before and after so you can see the difference
      08-31-2016, 05:42 PM   #8
Dandanbmw
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The0pportunist
Its crazy how many petrol performance cars the 640d will beat.

If you don't mind me asking, where did you get your remap done? Are you really getting 380bhp from a remap with no supporting mods? Thats nuts!!
Hi yes it is running anywhere between 360-380bhp with 750nm/550lbs ft torque. J f automotive remapped mine.
I've been to two rolling roads and one said 360bhp 550lbs ft and the other was around 380bhp and 740nm. I have heard of a few 640d's running 400bhp with just a remap.
      08-31-2016, 05:50 PM   #9
Dandanbmw
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by moff
I've had my car for 18 months (from new) and whilst I really like the car I get frustrated with it too. It's poor on B roads and country roads and doesn't really like to be 'hustled'. Yeah it's quite quick on straight roads, but I need a bit more.

Having said that, if I'm on a 150 mile motorway cruise it really is epic and I don't miss filling up every 200 miles as I did in my C63.

But when the right deal comes up I will be changing to an M4 CP (or maybe an M3). The mpg will frustrate a little but over 10,000 miles the overall price difference won't be too bad. The interior will frustrate too, but I will get the full leather dash to compensate.

One thing I won't miss are the totally useless rear seats and having to explain that although my car is nearly 5m long I cannot accomodate anything other than a piece of paper behind my seat ;-)

The 640d really has is killer looks though, I think the M4 looks a little confused from the side where the 6 series looks epic.
Oh I definitely agree with the space in the back especially behind my seat. But when people moan I say well there is only 3 of us so it's perfect for what I need but when someone needs a lift they say u have a spare seat.... Erm no I don't lol
      09-02-2016, 11:35 AM   #10
Coops395
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2020 840d Msport/ 2018 M2

Quote:
Hi yes it is running anywhere between 360-380bhp with 750nm/550lbs ft torque. J f automotive remapped mine.
I've been to two rolling roads and one said 360bhp 550lbs ft and the other was around 380bhp and 740nm. I have heard of a few 640d's running 400bhp with just a remap.
After following bimmerpost for the last 5/6 years I've finally joined.. I am one of those
'People' running a remapped 640d at just over 400bhp and have done for the last 3 years. I used a company in Southampton called DMS automotive. First time they put the map on it showed on the RR at 392bhp then after BMW nicely wiped it off after a software update DMS came and remapped it again f.o.c and was told this updated remap pushes it up to about 405bhp.

The car is rapid.. The torque is addictive and I still manage 450-500 out of a full tank. I couldn't recommend DMS enough, it's my third car they've remapped and it won't be the last. They also do a remap for M50d with 450 bhp+.. If you like that kind of abuse to tyres.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2016, 11:38 AM   #11
Dandanbmw
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops395
Quote:
After following bimmerpost for the last 5/6 years I've finally joined.. I am one of those
'People' running a remapped 640d at just over 400bhp and have done for the last 3 years. I used a company in Southampton called DMS automotive. First time they put the map on it showed on the RR at 392bhp then after BMW nicely wiped it off after a software update DMS came and remapped it again f.o.c and was told this updated remap pushes it up to about 405bhp.

The car is rapid.. The torque is addictive and I still manage 450-500 out of a full tank. I couldn't recommend DMS enough, it's my third car they've remapped and it won't be the last. They also do a remap for M50d with 450 bhp+.. If you like that kind of abuse to tyres.
Welcome aboard
Good figures there mate
Yeah they have a good reputation don't they?
I might take mine when I get the chance over to Bw Chiptune as I'm sure Jason can get mine running better with more power etc.

The torque is soooo addictive haha