BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

05-07-2024, 06:16 AM   #1
eugkim
Rep
Drives: 2014 F12 M6, 2014 E63S

Music quality with Carplay upgrades

I've been throwing around the idea of getting a Carplay unit, either MMI or ID6 screen unit. I've watched videos and searches. The deal breaker for me would be sound quality, and it seems like this is always an issue. Is this definitely the case?
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2024, 08:06 AM   #2
Oris4
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by eugkim View Post
I've been throwing around the idea of getting a Carplay unit, either MMI or ID6 screen unit. I've watched videos and searches. The deal breaker for me would be sound quality, and it seems like this is always an issue. Is this definitely the case?
I can speak first hand on this. You can set it to use factory Bluetooth connection and it will sound just as it does/did oem. There is one caveat and maybe I just haven’t figured it out in my two years of adding CarPlay, when I leave car running and go into store (Bluetooth disconnects while system still running) it switches to the actual CarPlay audio which isn’t terrible but definitely worse than oem.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2024, 10:36 PM   #3
Coryxavier
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 640i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by eugkim View Post
I’ve had the MMI box and now have ID6 retrofit. I didn’t like the sound with the box and also when the dealer or I tried to reset the service interval the box interferes with it and other programming because it’s an piggy back.

With the ID6 retrofit it’s hands down a better option and all OEM. All of your interfaces changes and my sound system actually booms now like it’s amplified or something crazy.

Wish I went the retrofit version first and it didn’t take me so long to do it.
Appreciate 0