BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      02-06-2013, 11:03 AM   #1
djsaad1
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: range rover
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: United States

Posts: 324
iTrader: (0)

Park assist

I doubt I will ever really use park assist, but I am curious on how it works. The p is supposed to light up blue when it finds a spot. But after testing it the past few days, I am yet to see it light up blue. Any tips on how to get it to work?
djsaad1 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-06-2013, 11:16 AM   #2
andreo
BMW Enthusiast
 
andreo's Avatar
 
Drives: Citrin Black 650i Coupé (F13)
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Macau

Posts: 352
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsaad1
I doubt I will ever really use park assist, but I am curious on how it works. The p is supposed to light up blue when it finds a spot. But after testing it the past few days, I am yet to see it light up blue. Any tips on how to get it to work?
It seems to work more consistently at night for me. During the daytime, it lights up only half the time. This is my usual sequence:

1. Slow down and drive a couple feet alongside parked cars

2. Turn on surround view with park assist enabled

3. Turn on turn indicators to the direction of parked cars

4. Keep driving until you completely pass a gap that fits the length of your vehicle by a couple feet

5. When the blue P symbol lights up, stop the vehicle and engage reverse gear

6. Follow instructions on iDrive to park
andreo is offline   Macao
0
Reply With Quote
      02-06-2013, 11:50 AM   #3
djsaad1
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: range rover
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: United States

Posts: 324
iTrader: (0)

Thanks! Does it only work for parallel parking? Or would it work in a standard parking lot as well?
djsaad1 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-06-2013, 12:31 PM   #4
Mentos
Private First Class
 
Drives: 640d GC Msport
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: London

Posts: 102
iTrader: (0)

Does it drive you out of parking bays (not parallel) like the Audi one apparently does?
Mentos is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-06-2013, 04:33 PM   #5
andreo
BMW Enthusiast
 
andreo's Avatar
 
Drives: Citrin Black 650i Coupé (F13)
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Macau

Posts: 352
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsaad1
Thanks! Does it only work for parallel parking? Or would it work in a standard parking lot as well?
Parallel parking only and it does not drive out.
andreo is offline   Macao
0
Reply With Quote
      02-06-2013, 05:49 PM   #6
djsaad1
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: range rover
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: United States

Posts: 324
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreo View Post
Parallel parking only and it does not drive out.
Yeah that's my issue I was trying it in standard parking lots to see if it works.
djsaad1 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-06-2013, 06:44 PM   #7
andreo
BMW Enthusiast
 
andreo's Avatar
 
Drives: Citrin Black 650i Coupé (F13)
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Macau

Posts: 352
iTrader: (0)

It is actually quite remarkable in handling parallel parking maneuvers. Give it a shot if you haven't done so already.
andreo is offline   Macao
0
Reply With Quote
      02-06-2013, 06:49 PM   #8
andreo
BMW Enthusiast
 
andreo's Avatar
 
Drives: Citrin Black 650i Coupé (F13)
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Macau

Posts: 352
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentos
Does it drive you out of parking bays (not parallel) like the Audi one apparently does?
You mean this?

andreo is offline   Macao
0
Reply With Quote
      02-07-2013, 06:11 AM   #9
Mentos
Private First Class
 
Drives: 640d GC Msport
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: London

Posts: 102
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreo View Post
You mean this?

No, but that is cool . I'm pretty sure that's not available yet. I think the closest thing available is where it will roll forward (and back out later) into your garage for you, without you in the car. I think you have to be standing next to the car though.

However, I was looking at Audis aswell before opting for the GC. And during that one of the salesman told me that the Audi Park assist will not only perpendicular/parallel park, but will also pull you out of a perpendicular space (you have to control the accelerator though). That peaked my interest, because sometimes you park in a bay and someone comes along and parks over the line right next to you. I could see that being quite usefull.
Mentos is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-07-2013, 08:03 AM   #10
andreo
BMW Enthusiast
 
andreo's Avatar
 
Drives: Citrin Black 650i Coupé (F13)
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Macau

Posts: 352
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentos

No, but that is cool . I'm pretty sure that's not available yet. I think the closest thing available is where it will roll forward (and back out later) into your garage for you, without you in the car. I think you have to be standing next to the car though.

However, I was looking at Audis aswell before opting for the GC. And during that one of the salesman told me that the Audi Park assist will not only perpendicular/parallel park, but will also pull you out of a perpendicular space (you have to control the accelerator though). That peaked my interest, because sometimes you park in a bay and someone comes along and parks over the line right next to you. I could see that being quite usefull.
Yes, I was told the same thing too but never actually saw an Audi with the feature in action. With the BMW park assist, the Surround View makes maneuvering the vehicle in and out of parking spots effortlessly with full confidence and poise. All you need to do is to watch the display as the vehicle tucks in or out of any tight spots. For a vehicle of such length, it is a marvel to watch the precision parking both from inside and outside the vehicle, especially when equipped with IAS.
andreo is offline   Macao
0
Reply With Quote
      02-07-2013, 09:32 AM   #11
Mentos
Private First Class
 
Drives: 640d GC Msport
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: London

Posts: 102
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreo View Post
Yes, I was told the same thing too but never actually saw an Audi with the feature in action. With the BMW park assist, the Surround View makes maneuvering the vehicle in and out of parking spots effortlessly with full confidence and poise. All you need to do is to watch the display as the vehicle tucks in or out of any tight spots. For a vehicle of such length, it is a marvel to watch the precision parking both from inside and outside the vehicle, especially when equipped with IAS.
To be honest my biggest concern is other people dinging my car (fingers crossed I haven't jinxed my parking skills now ). The GC is so big (or looking at it the other way UK parking spaces so small) it takes up the full length of parallel bays, and the full width of perpendicular bays.

It's always a worry that someone else will smack their door into my car. The protective trim around the car has generally gone out of fashion now (I remember it fondly from my E46 coupe back in the day). Cars may look better without it, but atleast you never used to have to worry about dings from careless people parking next to you :/
Mentos is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-07-2013, 11:06 AM   #12
andreo
BMW Enthusiast
 
andreo's Avatar
 
Drives: Citrin Black 650i Coupé (F13)
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Macau

Posts: 352
iTrader: (0)

Same concern here on the dings. That's why, whenever possible, I will avoid parking between cars and always find a spot with a wall or pillar on the passenger side and bank as close to the wall as possible using Surround View. It will not prevent deliberate dings but at least you will not encourage it.

If you have Night Vision, it will also help identify which cars have been parked for a while (darker) and which have just been parked (brighter) as you drive around the carpark. As you pick your spot, you can make a calculated guess on the best spot based on which cars have a higher probability of still being there when you retrieve your vehicle (hence less chance of dings).

I know it's not perfect but any preventive measure is still better than none.
andreo is offline   Macao
0
Reply With Quote
      02-07-2013, 12:47 PM   #13
ctenidae
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2012 650i Coupe- Manual
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Connecticut

Posts: 131
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreo View Post

If you have Night Vision, it will also help identify which cars have been parked for a while (darker) and which have just been parked (brighter) as you drive around the carpark. As you pick your spot, you can make a calculated guess on the best spot based on which cars have a higher probability of still being there when you retrieve your vehicle (hence less chance of dings).

I know it's not perfect but any preventive measure is still better than none.
Okay, I'm going to go ahead and classify that trick as clever.
ctenidae is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-07-2013, 01:56 PM   #14
Mentos
Private First Class
 
Drives: 640d GC Msport
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: London

Posts: 102
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctenidae View Post
Okay, I'm going to go ahead and classify that trick as clever.
Yep, if I'd thought of that before I would have got night vision. BMW should really put that at the top of their blurb when they try and sell night vision
Mentos is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-07-2013, 07:40 PM   #15
mlai
Colonel
 
mlai's Avatar
 
Drives: 650GC/E93M3/Lexus LS600HL
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Hong Kong

Posts: 2,343
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Well I park cars way faster than the BMW Park Assist (both parallel and perpendicular). And PA actually scratched my wheels a few time and cut it too close to the car in front quite a few times That's on a F10.

Definitely something that I can do without especially with surround view........

PS. The auto parking system on my Toyota Vellfire (a huge 7-seater luxury van) can do parallel and perpendicular and is WAY FASTER and feels WAY safer than the BMW park assist...... BMW still has a long way to go in this
__________________
F06 650i Gran Coupe Ruby Black/Dakota Cinamon- 2012-10-12 Adaptive Drive/IAS/Surround View/Adaptive LED/Comfort Seats/BMW 356 Liquid Black/Michelin PSS 245/35R20-285/30R20
E93 M3 Cabriolet Satin Pearl White/CR - 2012/03/12 Bilstein PSS10/ Michelin PSS 245/35R19-265/35R19 Brembo GT
2011 F10 550i M Sport - Retired
mlai is offline   Hong Kong
0
Reply With Quote
      02-10-2013, 02:41 PM   #16
NicoleLusts4BMW
BeachBitch
 
NicoleLusts4BMW's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 640i Gran Coupe Carbon Bl
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: California

Posts: 60
iTrader: (0)

I have tried it once just for HAHAs but I am concerned over curb rash on the wheels. I don't think the system is designed to take that possibility into account. So although it does the job well rubbing a wheel up against a curb is far more of a concern to me then finding another place to park.
NicoleLusts4BMW is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-10-2013, 10:48 PM   #17
neversummer78
Lieutenant
 
neversummer78's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 650i GC
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Los Angeles

Posts: 458
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleLusts4BMW View Post
I have tried it once just for HAHAs but I am concerned over curb rash on the wheels. I don't think the system is designed to take that possibility into account. So although it does the job well rubbing a wheel up against a curb is far more of a concern to me then finding another place to park.
Park assist does rub rims against the curb. Lucky that I stop it before curb rubs the alloy. I never use it again. I always turn on top view cam and park it myself since. It is great for SUV. I use Mercedes ML park assist feature frequently when I had it, and curb rubs only the tires so far. Also, Mercedes Park Assist is always on at speed lower than 15 MPH, so it is simpler to use.
__________________
00 323ci blk, 03 S2000 sil, 04 525i sil, 05 X5 beige, 07 328i sil, 08 C350 gray, 10 MCS Conv gray, 10 MCS red, 12 ML350 BT sil, 13 650i GC blue, 12 E350 Wagon 4Matic blk, 14 MCM sil
neversummer78 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:49 AM.




6post.com
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST