BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      01-15-2013, 09:03 PM   #1
Rickster311
Second Lieutenant
 
Rickster311's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW M1
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: California

Posts: 209
iTrader: (0)

What do you guys think now that the RS 7 is unveiled? Rated at about 560hp, 553tq and 0-60 in 3.9 and 11.8 quarter. Keeping in mind the S8 utilized the same motor with 520hp and 479 tq and weighted roughly 150lb more while achieving a modest 3.5 0-60... I'd expect to see this RS 7 closer to 3.3, maybe even 3.2 in ideal conditions..

Any thoughts? Especially anyone from Detroit who saw both?
Rickster311 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-15-2013, 11:32 PM   #2
DiavelM3
4 Star General -Twilight Zone
 
DiavelM3's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 E92 M3 ZCP
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: 5280

Posts: 1,025
iTrader: (1)

I kinda like the new RS7 with the exception of that enormous front grill. The rest of the lines are beautiful though!
As for performance, I'm sure we will see an M6 GC vs RS7 in due time but I would favor the RS7 in the 0-60 department and maybe even the 1/4 mile. I do think the edge may go to the M6 GC on the track though. If I had to pick one, it would be a tough call until I test drove them but going just off of looks, I like the M6 just a bit better..
I can't wait to see these two battle it out
Attached Images
  
__________________
'12 Ducati Diavel
'06 E46 M3 (sold) | '97 325is - Dinan (sold)
'02 Z3 3.0 coupe (sold)
Past - '84 Ferrari 308 GTSI | '88 Ferrari 328 GTS | '05 Dodge Viper Copperhead Edition #180/300 | Audi S4
DiavelM3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-16-2013, 08:45 AM   #3
Jty421
Private
 
Drives: 2013 Alpine White M6 Coupe
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Miami

Posts: 82
iTrader: (0)

M6 GC looks way better. But I believe the RS7 will be faster because of Quattro system.
Jty421 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-17-2013, 01:05 PM   #4
Rickster311
Second Lieutenant
 
Rickster311's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW M1
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: California

Posts: 209
iTrader: (0)

Does anyone know what chasis the M6 GC was built off? Looks so long that they might've used the 7 series? Unless BMW has LWB 6 series they offered in China and used that?

Dimensions wise and weight wise I feel the m6 GC is going to be bigger than heavier. I can't see the RS7 weighing more than 4400lbs which is roughly where the S7 is however I'd be astonished if BMW can keep the M6 GC close to 4,000lbs if earlier posts are accurate.

Rs7 should be roughly 2 inches shorter and 1 inch wider. Couldn't find height for m6 GC.

Another thing to consider will be price point.

The m6 coupe is almost 108k so can they really price the m6 GC below 115-117k? And if the Rs7 comes in lower - would the extra money for a m6 GC be worth it?

Thanks for your opinions.
Rickster311 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-18-2013, 12:25 AM   #5
smashhell
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 535i
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Posts: 478
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteonredm6
M6 GC looks way better. But I believe the RS7 will be faster because of Quattro system.
I agree.
The RS7 look so plain.
Can't tell the difference between this and regular A7 at all.
While the M6 GC is much more aggressive.
__________________
2011 535i Alpine White, Oyster on black interior, Premium 1 & 2 Package, Magnaflow Full Cat-Back Exhaust, JB4 Stage 2
smashhell is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-18-2013, 04:48 PM   #6
jettie1767
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: '14 M6 GC - Tanzanite Blue
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Colts Neck, NJ

Posts: 328
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to jettie1767 Send a message via Yahoo to jettie1767 Send a message via Skype™ to jettie1767
I'm not a big fan of the giant grill that Audi and Lexus puts on their cars nowadays. And the Audi side profiles aren't really that interesting.
jettie1767 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-08-2013, 08:50 PM   #7
Rickster311
Second Lieutenant
 
Rickster311's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW M1
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: California

Posts: 209
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashhell View Post
I agree.
The RS7 look so plain.
Can't tell the difference between this and regular A7 at all.
While the M6 GC is much more aggressive.
You really can't tell the difference from an A7...?!







I've personally found it harder to notice the differences from the M6 to M6 GC aside from the obvious it is longer and has 4 doors. Gorgeous car don't get me wrong but it just seems like a longer M6 Coupe?





Last edited by Rickster311; 02-08-2013 at 08:57 PM.
Rickster311 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-10-2013, 12:58 PM   #8
dmz
Captain
 
Drives: me nuts
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: CA

Posts: 605
iTrader: (1)

Well, the answer is yes. all 5 and 6 series shares the 7 series platform. That is why the 5 and 6 series is so damn heavy. The M6 is heavier than 4000lb and the 6GC will be heavier. BMW shot themselves on the foot on sharing the current platform. There is no excuse for a RWD BMW to be heavier than a similar AWD Audi. But they are!

As for pricing, BMW is got too greedy pricing the 6GC. The 650i GC will be price around the same as the RS7. The M6 GC will be close to $20k more.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickster311 View Post
Does anyone know what chasis the M6 GC was built off? Looks so long that they might've used the 7 series? Unless BMW has LWB 6 series they offered in China and used that?

Dimensions wise and weight wise I feel the m6 GC is going to be bigger than heavier. I can't see the RS7 weighing more than 4400lbs which is roughly where the S7 is however I'd be astonished if BMW can keep the M6 GC close to 4,000lbs if earlier posts are accurate.

Rs7 should be roughly 2 inches shorter and 1 inch wider. Couldn't find height for m6 GC.

Another thing to consider will be price point.

The m6 coupe is almost 108k so can they really price the m6 GC below 115-117k? And if the Rs7 comes in lower - would the extra money for a m6 GC be worth it?

Thanks for your opinions.
dmz is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-11-2013, 02:39 AM   #9
minokea
New Member
 
Drives: F15
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Canada

Posts: 25
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmz View Post
Well, the answer is yes. all 5 and 6 series shares the 7 series platform. That is why the 5 and 6 series is so damn heavy. The M6 is heavier than 4000lb and the 6GC will be heavier. BMW shot themselves on the foot on sharing the current platform. There is no excuse for a RWD BMW to be heavier than a similar AWD Audi. But they are!

As for pricing, BMW is got too greedy pricing the 6GC. The 650i GC will be price around the same as the RS7. The M6 GC will be close to $20k more.
cant wait for Rs7 to come to NA.. it loosk boss
minokea is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-11-2013, 01:00 PM   #10
DreamerM6
Private First Class
 
Drives: BMW F13 M6
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: South Africa

Posts: 123
iTrader: (0)

One thing everyone seems to forget, once traction is is out of the way, real wheel drive cars have the advantage of not having to share the power to 4 wheels making acceleration better in RWD. You can see in my video where i raced the GTR I totally out accelerated it, actually KILLED it!
DreamerM6 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-11-2013, 08:25 PM   #11
Rickster311
Second Lieutenant
 
Rickster311's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW M1
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: California

Posts: 209
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerM6
One thing everyone seems to forget, once traction is is out of the way, real wheel drive cars have the advantage of not having to share the power to 4 wheels making acceleration better in RWD. You can see in my video where i raced the GTR I totally out accelerated it, actually KILLED it!
Interesting. It'll be awesome to see the 0-100 and 0-120 when finally reviewed. I'd love to see if there was any Porsche influence in the top end.

The one thing I love about the RS 7 though, the retractable spoiler...
Rickster311 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-12-2013, 08:47 PM   #12
LarThaL
Colonel
 
LarThaL's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 M3
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: West Springfield, MA

Posts: 2,556
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerM6 View Post
One thing everyone seems to forget, once traction is is out of the way, real wheel drive cars have the advantage of not having to share the power to 4 wheels making acceleration better in RWD. You can see in my video where i raced the GTR I totally out accelerated it, actually KILLED it!
Your point is valid, however, at these levels of power/torque, traction remains a factor up to significantly high speeds. Let me start by saying that I absolutely LOVE the M6. It is at the top of my list for my next car, but there are issues that concern me.

With the DSC fully off, you can break traction going into third gear at nearly 100mph (mind you, this is what I have read, it is not from personal experience).

Also, try hammering the throttle in a turn. One of two things will happen. With DSC on, the car will bog. With DSC off, the car will break. Fine on a track in the hands of an experienced driver, but not so fine on the street in the hands of most who will actually be driving this car.

With even the slightest bit of dampness on the pavement, the RS7 and/or GTR will destroy the M6.

So, even if you want to preserve the steering and dynamic advantages of RWD, the M5/M6 are significantly under-tired. These cars should have 275/325 rubber from the factory. A 3200lb Porsche Carrera S, with less than 400lb-ft torque, and the weight of the engine over the drive wheels comes with 295's. This is way too narrow a tire for the 4200lb, front-engine M6.

Bottom line is that at this power level, you need seriously wide rubber, or AWD. Not sure what BMW was thinking here.

As the aftermarket develops for the M6, I am wondering what kind of rubber one will actually be able to fit on the car. This may be a determining factor for me. The stock 265/295 is clearly inadequate IMO.
__________________
Precision tool: 2011 BMW ///M3
Sledgehammer: 2014 Audi S6


Last edited by LarThaL; 02-13-2013 at 03:15 PM.
LarThaL is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-12-2013, 10:53 PM   #13
Grayblack
Lieutenant
 
Grayblack's Avatar
 
Drives: M5 F10 Space Gray
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Orange County, CA

Posts: 425
iTrader: (0)

I came from an A7, which was a great car. Audi did an awesome job with the RS7 design. I like the fact that you can tell it's an RS, unlike the S7. You can definitely notice the difference in traction with the Quattro.
Grayblack is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-14-2013, 08:04 PM   #14
Rickster311
Second Lieutenant
 
Rickster311's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW M1
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: California

Posts: 209
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayblack
I came from an A7, which was a great car. Audi did an awesome job with the RS7 design. I like the fact that you can tell it's an RS, unlike the S7. You can definitely notice the difference in traction with the Quattro.
The exterior cues of the S7 are very subtle on the exterior there's no doubt about that, but behind the wheel, that's a whole different story...

The V8 twin turbo vs the V6 superchargerd... Same V8 motor that was in the S6 and beat the M5 in Car and Driver with a 0-60 in 3.7. That's why I can't wait to see the RS 7. Same motor as S8 which Motortrend got a 3.5 0-60.. And with less power, torque and more weight than the RS 7.

I honestly think BMW had a beautiful opportunity here but from solely a performance aspect, I think they missed the bullseye. Just my opinion, I know some of you will disagree.
Rickster311 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-14-2013, 09:21 PM   #15
DiavelM3
4 Star General -Twilight Zone
 
DiavelM3's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 E92 M3 ZCP
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: 5280

Posts: 1,025
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarThaL View Post

With even the slightest bit of dampness on the pavement, the RS7 and/or GTR will destroy the M6.
Hmmmmm
__________________
'12 Ducati Diavel
'06 E46 M3 (sold) | '97 325is - Dinan (sold)
'02 Z3 3.0 coupe (sold)
Past - '84 Ferrari 308 GTSI | '88 Ferrari 328 GTS | '05 Dodge Viper Copperhead Edition #180/300 | Audi S4
DiavelM3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:59 PM.




6post.com
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST