BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      09-07-2012, 08:00 AM   #1
andreo
BMW Enthusiast
 
andreo's Avatar
 
Drives: Citrin Black 650i Coupé (F13)
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Macau

Posts: 352
iTrader: (0)

BimmerTech BMW (6NR) Retrofit

Has anyone performed a BMW Apps (6NR) retrofit with BimmerTech remotely? Particularly for vehicles in Hong Kong or Macau. If yes, what does it involve and how was the experience?
andreo is offline   Macao
0
Reply With Quote
      11-23-2012, 09:05 PM   #2
andreo
BMW Enthusiast
 
andreo's Avatar
 
Drives: Citrin Black 650i Coupé (F13)
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Macau

Posts: 352
iTrader: (0)

Folks,

I am pleased to report that the 6NR BMW Apps retrofit by the guys at BimmerTech was performed flawlessly on my HK/Macau region F13 650i last night. After a couple of hours of coding (done entirely remotely by MEN@BimmerTech), my car has the following functions activated:

- BMW Apps (ConnectedDrive)
- Office
- Cover Art
- HUD Turn Indicators
- HUD Telephone List
- HUD Entertainment List
- Engine A.S.S. (persistent last setting)

All videos in my docked iPhone (Media Snap-in Adapter) can be played on iDrive. Cover art is finally showing on-screen (previously disabled in HK/Macau cars).

Overall, the retrofit exercise was very impressive. These guys are professionals and really know what they are doing.

Thanks again MEN and Patryk.
andreo is offline   Macao
0
Reply With Quote
      11-23-2012, 10:19 PM   #3
djsaad1
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: range rover
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: United States

Posts: 324
iTrader: (0)

I ordered an enet cable the other day, going to try some coding myself when the car comes in. Good to know I have backup though if I need it.
djsaad1 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-24-2012, 12:45 AM   #4
andreo
BMW Enthusiast
 
andreo's Avatar
 
Drives: Citrin Black 650i Coupé (F13)
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Macau

Posts: 352
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsaad1
I ordered an enet cable the other day, going to try some coding myself when the car comes in. Good to know I have backup though if I need it.
Hi DJ,

Yes, forgot to mention the E-Net cable. It was included in the retrofit package. FYI, I also didn't have the time nor the courage to dismantle the armrest and CIC console to install the snap-in adapter/CIC video cable. Had that done at my local BMW workshop before the remote coding.

I bought the retrofit service thinking BMW Apps would be the useful upgrade but as it turned out, the HUD enhancements were the true upgrades that I can actually use. I will post some pics as soon as I get the chance.

All the best with your coding adventure. Please do share your experiences. BTW, when is your car arriving? Any day now?
andreo is offline   Macao
0
Reply With Quote
      11-24-2012, 01:13 AM   #5
wasabi
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: people crazy
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Venus

Posts: 40
iTrader: (0)

I had Patryk@BimmerTech coded my E71 last year and it was such an awesome experience. Great communication and great support all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreo View Post
Folks,

I am pleased to report that the 6NR BMW Apps retrofit by the guys at BimmerTech was performed flawlessly on my HK/Macau region F13 650i last night. After a couple of hours of coding (done entirely remotely by MEN@BimmerTech), my car has the following functions activated:

- BMW Apps (ConnectedDrive)
- Office
- Cover Art
- HUD Turn Indicators
- HUD Telephone List
- HUD Entertainment List
- Engine A.S.S. (persistent last setting)

All videos in my docked iPhone (Media Snap-in Adapter) can be played on iDrive. Cover art is finally showing on-screen (previously disabled in HK/Macau cars).

Overall, the retrofit exercise was very impressive. These guys are professionals and really know what they are doing.

Thanks again MEN and Patryk.
wasabi is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      11-24-2012, 01:22 AM   #6
andreo
BMW Enthusiast
 
andreo's Avatar
 
Drives: Citrin Black 650i Coupé (F13)
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Macau

Posts: 352
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasabi
I had Patryk@BimmerTech coded my E71 last year and it was such an awesome experience. Great communication and great support all the time.
+1. It is almost magical seeing all these enhancements appearing right before your eyes in anticipation.
andreo is offline   Macao
0
Reply With Quote
      11-25-2012, 07:29 PM   #7
djsaad1
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: range rover
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: United States

Posts: 324
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreo View Post
Hi DJ,

Yes, forgot to mention the E-Net cable. It was included in the retrofit package. FYI, I also didn't have the time nor the courage to dismantle the armrest and CIC console to install the snap-in adapter/CIC video cable. Had that done at my local BMW workshop before the remote coding.

I bought the retrofit service thinking BMW Apps would be the useful upgrade but as it turned out, the HUD enhancements were the true upgrades that I can actually use. I will post some pics as soon as I get the chance.

All the best with your coding adventure. Please do share your experiences. BTW, when is your car arriving? Any day now?
I ordered the car with bmw apps and the snap in adapter so all I am going to be coding is the HUD enhancements , dvd in motion, and some other small things that seem pretty basic to do.

My car just finished production and is at the port. Hopefully it will be here by Christmas.
djsaad1 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-25-2012, 08:12 PM   #8
nwills
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2012 535xi
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Toronto

Posts: 134
iTrader: (0)

How does one do this?

It's a remote operation? I can have this done without taking my car in?

I don't have BMW apps in my 650iGC and had it in my F10. Wouldn't mind doing it!
nwills is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-26-2012, 03:42 AM   #9
andreo
BMW Enthusiast
 
andreo's Avatar
 
Drives: Citrin Black 650i Coupé (F13)
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Macau

Posts: 352
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsaad1

I ordered the car with bmw apps and the snap in adapter so all I am going to be coding is the HUD enhancements , dvd in motion, and some other small things that seem pretty basic to do.

My car just finished production and is at the port. Hopefully it will be here by Christmas.
That makes sense. As mentioned, the HUD enhancements really do make it more useful in daily driving. I hardly ever need to look at the instrument cluster after the upgrade.

For DVD in Motion, I got that done by www.DVDInMotion.com. Very simple process of emailing them your VIN and they send you a link to burn a custom CD for your car. Pop the CD in and your iDrive will reboot. A few seconds later, you have DVD in motion coded. The process is reversible by popping in the same CD.

Good to learn that your car is on its way. Hope it makes it to your doorstep before Christmas.

Last edited by andreo; 11-26-2012 at 04:09 AM.
andreo is offline   Macao
0
Reply With Quote
      11-26-2012, 04:04 AM   #10
andreo
BMW Enthusiast
 
andreo's Avatar
 
Drives: Citrin Black 650i Coupé (F13)
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Macau

Posts: 352
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwills View Post
How does one do this?

It's a remote operation? I can have this done without taking my car in?

I don't have BMW apps in my 650iGC and had it in my F10. Wouldn't mind doing it!
I went through the following process for my retrofit:

1. Go to www.Bimmer-Tech.com, email them your VIN to validate applicability, get a quote and place your order.

2. The necessary parts and an OBD E-Net cable will be sent to you by DHL.

3. Install the parts according to the instructions provided. (I didn't have the time nor the courage to do it myself. Had it done by qualified BMW engineers at my local workshop.)

4. Make an appointment with Bimmer-Tech (Patryk or MEN) to arrange your remote coding session.

5. Prepare a Windows laptop with internet connection to be used in your car.

6. Follow instructions given to install a couple of programs that will allow them to perform the necessary coding. You will be guided over Skype.

7. Connect laptop to car using supplied OBD E-Net cable and sit back. (Make sure your laptop has power or sufficient charge for at least an hour)

8. Follow basic instructions given by the coder over Skype. (Ignition on, Ignition off, lock car, check functions, etc)

9. Enjoy new functions.

Overall, the remote coding process took less than an hour for me and they got BMW Apps along with a bunch of HUD enhancements done in one sitting. Even Engine Auto Start Stop got coded to remember last setting.

As mentioned, these guys know their BMW's and it is a marvel to watch them enhance your car remotely right before your eyes.
andreo is offline   Macao
0
Reply With Quote
      12-04-2012, 08:11 PM   #11
andreo
BMW Enthusiast
 
andreo's Avatar
 
Drives: Citrin Black 650i Coupé (F13)
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Macau

Posts: 352
iTrader: (0)

Just discovered this morning that the Bimmer-Tech guys have quietly enabled the Sport Displays in my iDrive during our coding session and they actually work on the F13. When enabled, you can find them under the Vehicle Information section on your main iDrive menu.
Attached Images
 
andreo is offline   Macao
0
Reply With Quote
      12-05-2012, 02:18 AM   #12
neversummer78
Lieutenant
 
neversummer78's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 650i GC
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Los Angeles

Posts: 458
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
That's very cool!
__________________
00 323ci blk, 03 S2000 sil, 04 525i sil, 05 X5 beige, 07 328i sil, 08 C350 gray, 10 MCS Conv gray, 10 MCS red, 12 ML350 BT sil, 13 650i GC blue, 12 E350 Wagon 4Matic blk, 14 MCM sil
neversummer78 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-29-2013, 05:44 PM   #13
mo7ammed-87
Private
 
Drives: BMW 2013 650i
Join Date: May 2012
Location: kuwait

Posts: 98
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreo View Post
Just discovered this morning that the Bimmer-Tech guys have quietly enabled the Sport Displays in my iDrive during our coding session and they actually work on the F13. When enabled, you can find them under the Vehicle Information section on your main iDrive menu.


how i can show it on my car ??
mo7ammed-87 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-29-2013, 11:26 PM   #14
andreo
BMW Enthusiast
 
andreo's Avatar
 
Drives: Citrin Black 650i Coupé (F13)
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Macau

Posts: 352
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo7ammed-87
how i can show it on my car ??
It is the last item under Vehicle Info if coded. Scroll all the way to the bottom to find it. If you don't see it there, you will need to get it enabled through coding. You can do it by yourself (like djsaad1 did) or get the BimmerTech guys to do it for you.
Attached Images
 

Last edited by andreo; 01-29-2013 at 11:48 PM.
andreo is offline   Macao
0
Reply With Quote
      02-02-2013, 01:14 PM   #15
SpokenHands
Certified Car Nut
 
SpokenHands's Avatar
 
Drives: Maserati GT + 640d GC + 116i
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Warwickshire, England

Posts: 353
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Forgive a naive question but isn't it cheaper to just order the option with the build order in the first place?

Totally make sense to upgrade hardware if an older car is now out of date tech wise.

BMW apps, Internet, DAB now standard fit in 2013 cars evidently
SpokenHands is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      02-02-2013, 07:21 PM   #16
andreo
BMW Enthusiast
 
andreo's Avatar
 
Drives: Citrin Black 650i Coupé (F13)
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Macau

Posts: 352
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpokenHands
Forgive a naive question but isn't it cheaper to just order the option with the build order in the first place?

Totally make sense to upgrade hardware if an older car is now out of date tech wise.

BMW apps, Internet, DAB now standard fit in 2013 cars evidently
Yes absolutely if the option is offered in my region but unfortunately it is not due to regional homologation. Hence the retrofit.

In any case, some of the items like Sport Displays, HUD extras and video in motion still require coding even if the car was factory built with the necessary options.
andreo is offline   Macao
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:10 PM.




6post.com
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST