BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-19-2012, 08:57 PM   #1
V8
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: F13 M6 Coupe
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: SoCal

Posts: 46
iTrader: (0)

Initial review of my new F13 M6 Coupe...

I've been reading as many reviews of the F13 M6 coupe as possible since it came out. I never found one that really compared it accurately to the E92 M3 which was what I was desperate for.

I finally got hold of mine last week from Shelly BMW. Derek Dicker is the man, hands down the best CA I have ever had. Honestly can't imagine a better dude to buy a car from.

Here are my initial thoughts, I'll update once I get the break in service done.

First off this is one hell of an incredible looking car. Unbelievable. In person it's sooo muscular and imposing. Bad ass. I went light on the packages, I wasn't into massage and ventilated seats or soft close doors… but I regretted not getting the LED headlights but in person I don't miss 'em at all.
The wheels look sick, huge and meaty. Love the enormous front calipers. They are HUGE!

A lot has been written about the engine sound, coming from the screaming E92 V8 I was expecting to be underwhelmed after all the bad press but in the flesh this engine sound incredibly menacing and mean. There's a basey rumble that is ever present, even with the windows shut. It just sounds plain dangerous and I haven't even been able to open it up much yet. Very impressed with this so far. It's a different beast than a NA engine but different doesn't mean worse at all.

Chassis. This car feels rock sold, far better than the E92 M3. Extremely impressed with how it solidly rides bumps. In sport plus the suspension very stiff but doesn't feel like it's going to come apart on big bumps.

Steering. Again early reviews lead me to expect light feeling steering compared to the E92 M3. Couldn't be more wrong. In sport plus I'd say the steering is heavier.
Only negative so far for me is you really have to muscle the car to turn in sharply. I'm sure this will be fine once I get used to it.
Otherwise not far off the M3's direct response.

Performance. Still in the break in but there are times when I get the turbos are spooled up and I can really feel what this car is capable of. Having said that when the turbo's aren't spooled up it's not as quick as I'd been lead to believe.
The 500+lbs of torque at 1500rpm isn't quite as potent as it sounds but I attribute that to needing to learn how to drive a heavily turbo charged car. I imagine that post break in, when I can keep the car in higher rev ranges the turbos will be ready to rock more than they are now?

Brakes. Amazing, so much better than the M3, really feel like they are biting down, hard.

M-DCT. Good news, still has full rev matching with throttle blips. I was concerned the different nature of the engine would remove this.
Shift changes are not as brutal as the M3 on the fastest setting. Definitely bummed about this but again haven't shifted in real anger yet. 3 speeds is way too little. Should have had 1 more extreme setting.

Weight. Don't really notice it much yet but the car feels very big in terms of size. Takes getting used to for sure. Easy parking spots now need some brain power to navigate. Again just getting used to it so no big deal. Amazing how much difference 4'' more width and 11'' more length makes vs the M3...

Interior. In a word amazing. Everything is a joy to behold. Yes it's the old Nav but there are a bunch of great improvements vs my old M3. I'm a techie and I really am not bummed about not having the new version after seeing how well this 'old' version is implemented.
The seats are great. I'm 6'7'' and relatively wide but weirdly I can't clamp myself in with the side bolsters, they don't extend in very far. Other than that the seats are great and I've got even got contrast stitching without full leather!
The steering wheel is again, incredible, so solidly made and nicely put to gather.

One negative point is the the center console really should be merino leather like the seats, M3 had this. Not terrible but would've been nice.

Extremely impressed with the fit and finish. The doors are BIG but they feel amazingly light yet solid.


So you can probably tell that I'm big time impressed with this beast. Can't wait to hit 1200 miles and remove the restrictions. I have a feeling that they DO limit hp pre break in….
So compared to an M3; way more of an imposing car, feels more dangerous and far more luxuriously appointed in a good sporty way, not in Merc old man way.
I can't compare performance yet as still enduring break in but will update asap.

Here are some pics, was rushing so not the best...
Attached Images
     
V8 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-19-2012, 09:05 PM   #2
BigHat
Lieutenant
 
BigHat's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 M3 E93
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NoVa

Posts: 513
iTrader: (0)

Nicely done.
BigHat is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-19-2012, 10:14 PM   #3
Stonehands
Private First Class
 
Stonehands's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 M6 Coupe
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: York, PA

Posts: 135
iTrader: (0)

Congratulations! Nice review. I agree with most everything. Once you are past the breakin, you will be very pleased with the performance. Setup M2 to unlimited, i.e remove all nannytech. Then find some open space like an abandoned airfield. Then crush it. The exhaust opens up. The torque and power are brutal. It is definitely not an M3, so don't even bother to compare. They are not in the same species. This car is a beast. It will get away from you quickly. You might want to set M1 to all sport modes, MDM and max the drivelogic setting. This is good practice setting.

Don't miss the LED lights. They look awesome but you need to have high beams for them to work well. This will likely be upgraded. They are weak. You projector xenons are superior lighting wise.

While the power is supposed to be on tap from 1500-7000, 3000-6000 seems to be where you want to keep the revs to experience the brutality. Yes there is turbo lag no matter what they claim. However, it is easily minimized with drive optimization.

Great pics. Mine is black sapphire/silverstone full merino leather/20" wheels.
The car is very menacing in black. Enjoy. Let us know what you think after the breakin.
Stonehands is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-20-2012, 12:34 AM   #4
HatersGonHateSMH
Banned
 
Drives: Frozen white m5/Fire orange m3
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Los alamitos, California

Posts: 36
iTrader: (0)

Wow no way hahahah. I saw you when you were picking up your delivery. I'm trying to get a hold of the alpine white one they have in the showroom right now
HatersGonHateSMH is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-20-2012, 12:42 AM   #5
V8
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: F13 M6 Coupe
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: SoCal

Posts: 46
iTrader: (0)

woah, small world... Good luck dude, that one looked sweet!
V8 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-20-2012, 12:46 AM   #6
V8
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: F13 M6 Coupe
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: SoCal

Posts: 46
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonehands View Post
Congratulations! Nice review. I agree with most everything. Once you are past the breakin, you will be very pleased with the performance. Setup M2 to unlimited, i.e remove all nannytech. Then find some open space like an abandoned airfield. Then crush it. The exhaust opens up. The torque and power are brutal. It is definitely not an M3, so don't even bother to compare. They are not in the same species. This car is a beast. It will get away from you quickly. You might want to set M1 to all sport modes, MDM and max the drivelogic setting. This is good practice setting.

Don't miss the LED lights. They look awesome but you need to have high beams for them to work well. This will likely be upgraded. They are weak. You projector xenons are superior lighting wise.

While the power is supposed to be on tap from 1500-7000, 3000-6000 seems to be where you want to keep the revs to experience the brutality. Yes there is turbo lag no matter what they claim. However, it is easily minimized with drive optimization.

Great pics. Mine is black sapphire/silverstone full merino leather/20" wheels.
The car is very menacing in black. Enjoy. Let us know what you think after the breakin.
Only reason I compared it to the M3 was as a bench mark. Didn't want to go backwards and there was a bunch to like about that car!
Already got my M2 set up sport plus across the board but TC on. I'm breaking it in aggressively but mostly within guidelines. Mostly...
V8 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-20-2012, 12:48 AM   #7
PrecisionP
First Lieutenant
 
PrecisionP's Avatar
 
Drives: ATPC's
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: US

Posts: 359
iTrader: (0)

Nice. The hardest part of taking ownership, trying to keep this monster around 105 when it's just warming up in the break in period...
__________________
PrecisionP is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-20-2012, 02:56 AM   #8
HatersGonHateSMH
Banned
 
Drives: Frozen white m5/Fire orange m3
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Los alamitos, California

Posts: 36
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8
woah, small world... Good luck dude, that one looked sweet!
Haha thanks! I just talked to joe at Shelly and I'll be going down to pick it up Wednesday hopefully. I like your ride though. That black looks sick!
HatersGonHateSMH is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-20-2012, 05:13 AM   #9
M_Power_Fan
Private First Class
 
M_Power_Fan's Avatar
 
Drives: the Ring
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Germany

Posts: 104
iTrader: (0)

congrats, car looks great and nice review too!

Have fun
M_Power_Fan is offline   Germany
0
Reply With Quote
      11-20-2012, 08:46 AM   #10
UCFJWH
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: Audi S5
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Orlando, FL

Posts: 31
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatersGonHateSMH View Post
Haha thanks! I just talked to joe at Shelly and I'll be going down to pick it up Wednesday hopefully. I like your ride though. That black looks sick!
I have the Alpine and with respect to others, there is no sexier color. What interior is the one they have?
UCFJWH is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-20-2012, 09:49 AM   #11
nbennettksu
Captain
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Fort Lauderdale

Posts: 973
iTrader: (0)

very nice car and write up

looks like the dealer forgot to take the blue film protective covering off the dead pedal
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBasham View Post
Caddy ATS . . . finally, a decent rental car option.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kchu221 View Post
the wheels make me mad...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhabs View Post
It's one thing for some buffoon to put an M badge on something that doesn't deserve it...it's another for a multi-billion dollar corporation to do the exact same thing and keep a straight face.
nbennettksu is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-20-2012, 01:12 PM   #12
HatersGonHateSMH
Banned
 
Drives: Frozen white m5/Fire orange m3
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Los alamitos, California

Posts: 36
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCFJWH
Quote:
Originally Posted by HatersGonHateSMH View Post
Haha thanks! I just talked to joe at Shelly and I'll be going down to pick it up Wednesday hopefully. I like your ride though. That black looks sick!
I have the Alpine and with respect to others, there is no sexier color. What interior is the one they have?
Black interior with carbon fiber trim. It's Going to look sooo bad ass with a dark tint haha
HatersGonHateSMH is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-21-2012, 04:54 AM   #13
wlin
Sleeper
 
wlin's Avatar
 
Drives: 11' E82
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Orange County

Posts: 44
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
11' BMW E82  [2.75]
13' MBZ X166  [5.00]
12' MBZ W218  [5.00]
12' BMW F12  [5.00]
11' BMW F10  [5.00]
Send a message via ICQ to wlin Send a message via AIM to wlin Send a message via MSN to wlin Send a message via Yahoo to wlin Send a message via Skype™ to wlin
Thumbs up Great review

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 View Post
I've been reading as many reviews of the F13 M6 coupe as possible since it came out. I never found one that really compared it accurately to the E92 M3 which was what I was desperate for.

I finally got hold of mine last week from Shelly BMW. Derek Dicker is the man, hands down the best CA I have ever had. Honestly can't imagine a better dude to buy a car from.

Here are my initial thoughts, I'll update once I get the break in service done.

First off this is one hell of an incredible looking car. Unbelievable. In person it's sooo muscular and imposing. Bad ass. I went light on the packages, I wasn't into massage and ventilated seats or soft close doors… but I regretted not getting the LED headlights but in person I don't miss 'em at all.
The wheels look sick, huge and meaty. Love the enormous front calipers. They are HUGE!

A lot has been written about the engine sound, coming from the screaming E92 V8 I was expecting to be underwhelmed after all the bad press but in the flesh this engine sound incredibly menacing and mean. There's a basey rumble that is ever present, even with the windows shut. It just sounds plain dangerous and I haven't even been able to open it up much yet. Very impressed with this so far. It's a different beast than a NA engine but different doesn't mean worse at all.

Chassis. This car feels rock sold, far better than the E92 M3. Extremely impressed with how it solidly rides bumps. In sport plus the suspension very stiff but doesn't feel like it's going to come apart on big bumps.

Steering. Again early reviews lead me to expect light feeling steering compared to the E92 M3. Couldn't be more wrong. In sport plus I'd say the steering is heavier.
Only negative so far for me is you really have to muscle the car to turn in sharply. I'm sure this will be fine once I get used to it.
Otherwise not far off the M3's direct response.

Performance. Still in the break in but there are times when I get the turbos are spooled up and I can really feel what this car is capable of. Having said that when the turbo's aren't spooled up it's not as quick as I'd been lead to believe.
The 500+lbs of torque at 1500rpm isn't quite as potent as it sounds but I attribute that to needing to learn how to drive a heavily turbo charged car. I imagine that post break in, when I can keep the car in higher rev ranges the turbos will be ready to rock more than they are now?

Brakes. Amazing, so much better than the M3, really feel like they are biting down, hard.

M-DCT. Good news, still has full rev matching with throttle blips. I was concerned the different nature of the engine would remove this.
Shift changes are not as brutal as the M3 on the fastest setting. Definitely bummed about this but again haven't shifted in real anger yet. 3 speeds is way too little. Should have had 1 more extreme setting.

Weight. Don't really notice it much yet but the car feels very big in terms of size. Takes getting used to for sure. Easy parking spots now need some brain power to navigate. Again just getting used to it so no big deal. Amazing how much difference 4'' more width and 11'' more length makes vs the M3...

Interior. In a word amazing. Everything is a joy to behold. Yes it's the old Nav but there are a bunch of great improvements vs my old M3. I'm a techie and I really am not bummed about not having the new version after seeing how well this 'old' version is implemented.
The seats are great. I'm 6'7'' and relatively wide but weirdly I can't clamp myself in with the side bolsters, they don't extend in very far. Other than that the seats are great and I've got even got contrast stitching without full leather!
The steering wheel is again, incredible, so solidly made and nicely put to gather.

One negative point is the the center console really should be merino leather like the seats, M3 had this. Not terrible but would've been nice.

Extremely impressed with the fit and finish. The doors are BIG but they feel amazingly light yet solid.


So you can probably tell that I'm big time impressed with this beast. Can't wait to hit 1200 miles and remove the restrictions. I have a feeling that they DO limit hp pre break in….
So compared to an M3; way more of an imposing car, feels more dangerous and far more luxuriously appointed in a good sporty way, not in Merc old man way.
I can't compare performance yet as still enduring break in but will update asap.

Here are some pics, was rushing so not the best...
Awesome writeup, stunning car. Congrats!
__________________
"Real enthusiasts get their hands dirty"
-11' F10 550i JetBlk
-11' E82 135i DeepSea (retired)
-05' E63 645Ci MinAg (retired)
wlin is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-26-2012, 01:15 AM   #14
Jason
Administrator
 
Jason's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: USA

Posts: 16,456
iTrader: (0)

Congrats on the car and thanks for your initial review and thoughts.

Great read for those considering or waiting for their M6.
__________________
Check on the Latest BMW News
Become a fan of Bimmerpost Facebook
Follow us on Bimmerpost Twitter
Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel

Jason is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-26-2012, 10:03 PM   #15
the infamous...
Relapsed Bimmerpost Addict
 
the infamous...'s Avatar
 
Drives: like I'M BOUT THAT LIFE
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: PARADISE aka CANES COUNTRY

Posts: 17,536
iTrader: (0)

great review n pix, congrats!
__________________


"simple is clean" -The ///ModFather
the infamous... is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-03-2012, 10:59 PM   #16
dicker
Captain
 
dicker's Avatar
 
Drives: '14 M235i
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: SoCal

Posts: 797
iTrader: (8)

Send a message via AIM to dicker
Nice pictures and writeup!

Thanks for the shout out too
dicker is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-04-2012, 10:04 PM   #17
inagua
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: F13 M6, M3 e90, X5 35d
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Thousand Oaks, CA

Posts: 309
iTrader: (1)

Very nice write up
Old Nav?
or new 3D nav?
inagua is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-05-2012, 06:24 PM   #18
V8
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: F13 M6 Coupe
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: SoCal

Posts: 46
iTrader: (0)

old nav but really integrates well, don't really miss the update even though I live for toys...
V8 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:54 PM.




6post.com
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST