BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-15-2012, 07:03 PM   #23
mlai
Colonel
 
mlai's Avatar
 
Drives: 650GC/E93M3/Lexus LS600HL
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Hong Kong

Posts: 2,346
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Thanks for all the kind words!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan 24v View Post
That's a lovely car! How are your rear passengers finding it?
Comfortable. When I ordered the car, I purposely adjusted the front seats to normal sitting/driving position, and I sat in the rear seat with my sales to finalize details. Took us a good 30 mins in the back seat. So I know the back seats are quite ok My friends are all of Asia average build (around 5'6"-6'), and they find the rear seats comfortable as well. Surprisingly, they felt that the 6GC had a bit more leg room vs my F10. However, the lower roof line does make them feel that they are in a smaller space then the F10.

But I am divorces, and have 2 little girls aged 9 and 6 with me, any they don't complain about the space One thing though, is that the seats are more sport seats like and thus stiffer than the heavily cushioned F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by the infamous... View Post
she's a beaut, congrats! luv her eyes

when r u gonna pur on ur ms08s?
Yes, she's an absolute beauty! I had my eyes set on one of the frozen colours and my salesperson talked me out of it. She told me that while the frozen bronze is stunning, but most people who can't make up their minds will go with the catalog colors, which makes it not as unique. And I concur the she's dead on the money there. The 6GC should be all about uniqueness and rarity. I would hate to be in a frozen bronze and see another 3 with the same color in the parking lot

Regarding the MS8. Still undecided. The MS8 20" looked great on my F10. But when I put the MS8 onto the 6GC, they feel too big for the 6GC The 6GC is all about perfect proportions and with the MS8 20", the 6GC looks a bit wierd...... And the OEM star spokes that came with the 6GC is the ONLY OEM wheels from BMW that I liked from all these years driving BMWs. And my first bimmer was a 635CSi, so I have seen all of the BMW OEM wheels and almost all of them were ugly. But somehow the star spoke seems right on this car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holland Harry View Post
Nice ride mate!
Thank you!
__________________
F06 650i Gran Coupe Ruby Black/Dakota Cinamon- 2012-10-12 Adaptive Drive/IAS/Surround View/Adaptive LED/Comfort Seats/BMW 356 Liquid Black/Michelin PSS 245/35R20-285/30R20
E93 M3 Cabriolet Satin Pearl White/CR - 2012/03/12 Bilstein PSS10/ Michelin PSS 245/35R19-265/35R19 Brembo GT
2011 F10 550i M Sport - Retired
mlai is offline   Hong Kong
0
Reply With Quote
      10-15-2012, 10:14 PM   #24
andreo
BMW Enthusiast
 
andreo's Avatar
 
Drives: Citrin Black 650i Coupé (F13)
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Macau

Posts: 352
iTrader: (0)

+1 on the Star Spoke 367
andreo is offline   Macao
0
Reply With Quote
      10-15-2012, 10:24 PM   #25
andreo
BMW Enthusiast
 
andreo's Avatar
 
Drives: Citrin Black 650i Coupé (F13)
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Macau

Posts: 352
iTrader: (0)

Question: Is Mobile Office available in your iDrive menu?
andreo is offline   Macao
0
Reply With Quote
      10-16-2012, 02:05 AM   #26
mlai
Colonel
 
mlai's Avatar
 
Drives: 650GC/E93M3/Lexus LS600HL
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Hong Kong

Posts: 2,346
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreo View Post
Question: Is Mobile Office available in your iDrive menu?
Nope. Not available in Hong Kong. Apparently, due to the idiotic laws in Hong Kong. Even album arts are NOT ALLOWED.
__________________
F06 650i Gran Coupe Ruby Black/Dakota Cinamon- 2012-10-12 Adaptive Drive/IAS/Surround View/Adaptive LED/Comfort Seats/BMW 356 Liquid Black/Michelin PSS 245/35R20-285/30R20
E93 M3 Cabriolet Satin Pearl White/CR - 2012/03/12 Bilstein PSS10/ Michelin PSS 245/35R19-265/35R19 Brembo GT
2011 F10 550i M Sport - Retired
mlai is offline   Hong Kong
0
Reply With Quote
      10-16-2012, 03:19 AM   #27
the_stranger
Captain
 
the_stranger's Avatar
 
Drives: e92 M3 6MT
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Lafayette, IN

Posts: 927
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Gorgeous car! Congrats!
__________________

2008 e92 M3 6MT AW/BLACK (SOLD)
2009 e92 M3 6MT AW/FR
the_stranger is offline   India
0
Reply With Quote
      10-16-2012, 03:30 AM   #28
andreo
BMW Enthusiast
 
andreo's Avatar
 
Drives: Citrin Black 650i Coupé (F13)
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Macau

Posts: 352
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlai
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreo View Post
Question: Is Mobile Office available in your iDrive menu?
Nope. Not available in Hong Kong. Apparently, due to the idiotic laws in Hong Kong. Even album arts are NOT ALLOWED.
That's unfortunate. I came across this company named BimmerTech that offers remote coding to enable Apps, Office and a number of other functions for HK cars. A gentleman by the name of Patryk has been very responsive to my various queries. I may consider to give them a try when I get hold of my vehicle.
andreo is offline   Macao
0
Reply With Quote
      10-16-2012, 06:28 AM   #29
mlai
Colonel
 
mlai's Avatar
 
Drives: 650GC/E93M3/Lexus LS600HL
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Hong Kong

Posts: 2,346
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
I have spent couple of days with the F06 650i now and see if I can do a simple comparison of various aspects between the 650i and the F10 550i.....

Body Styling and exterior
No contest there. The F06 has a much more aggressive appearance than the now fairly common F10 in Hong Kong. The F06 turns heads everywhere. The F06 sits quite a bit lower than the F10. Although slightly longer and wider, the F06 by itself does not look bigger than the F10 at all.
The new LED headlights and fogs are stunning to look at. However, I do find the LED lights not as bright as Xenon headlights. But still very sufficient lighting for night driving.
Aesthetic-wise, I am in no hurry to lower the car or switch to larger wheels at the moment. The Hong Kong spec 650i Gran Coupe comes with the 19” 367 star spoke wheels, which seems to suit the style of the Gran Coupe, a rare occurrence for BMW wheels….. And the wheel gap between the tyres to the fender is around 2-3 fingers, not like the F10 which is 4+ fingers even with 20” wheels…… Maybe I will try putting on my MS8 20” and take some pictures to compare. But now, the OEM 19” star spoke stays……
I am happy that I didn’t opt for the M Sport front end on the Gran Coupe. For some reason, the M front on this car takes away too much classiness on the Gran Coupe. And surprisingly, the chrome elements on the standard Gran Coupe works very well aesthetically. But then, to each their own.

Interior Comfort
I have ordered the comfort seats for the Gran Coupe, where as it was standard for my old F10 550i in Hong Kong. I find the comfort seats in the Gran Coupe stiffer than the comfort seats in the F10. And the side bolsters on the comfort seats on the Gran Coupe are not adjustable to the same degree of tightness as in the F10. The Gran Coupe comfort seat headrest are manually adjusted where as they are electronically adjusted in the F10. Front seat belts are attached to the should of the seats in the F06, which suits me just fine. Front space feels to be about the same as in the F10 for driver and passenger. There are less storage space around the driver area in the F06 than the F10 (no driver side amenity drawer), and the 12V outlet is not in between the cup holder, but in the small amenity opening behind the shift lever. This will be a problem if one needs to charge their phone on a dash mount…… Oh and there is less space to fit a dashboard mount for the phone in the first place…….
As for the rear passengers, there seems to be a bit more legroom in the F06 than F10 when the driver and front passenger are sitting comfortably. This is most likely due to the fact the the front comfort seats in the F06 are way less bulky than the F10 comfort seats. If one opted for the sport seats or standard seats, the rear legroom will be even better! But then, having sat in the sport seats of the Gran Coupe, I will not settle for anything other than comfort seats in the F06.
Obviously, there are less headrooms for the rear passengers, but I have not had anyone (adults) complain that they are uncomfortable. Oh, no. I have not had any lady (or gentleman) sad in the middle rear bench yet…… And there is no easy access 12V outlet for the rear seat passengers. So need to buy long charging cables for my children’s phones….. All-in-all, the rear seats are fairly comfortable for REGULAR ASIAN sized adults for driving around in Hong Kong. Yao Ming may be problematic…….

Visibility
The Gran Coupe has excellent visibility for front and side. It is much easier to adjust to the perfect driving position for myself. I only spend 2-3 mins and everything is perfect in the F06. In contrast, I spend days trying to figure out an optimal driving seat position in the F10. The major drawback in the F06 Gran Coupe will be the relatively small rear windows. The F10 beats it hands down in that regard. Even my E93 has better visibility via the rear window than the F06…..

Engine, Power, and tune
Well, the F06 650i has the NEW N63TU engine, which gives out 50 more horses than the N63 of the F10 550i. Yes, I can feel the added power. But I think more important is that the engine management is tuned very differently than the F10 550i. There is absolutely no hesitation in the F06 which was apparent in the F10 550i. The throttle is way more responsive and slightly stiffer then the F10. My F06 has the Adaptive drive so DDC has 4 (and a half) modes: Sport+/Sport/Comfort/Comfort+/Eco Pro<- half a mode. There are noticeable difference of throttle response between Sport/Comfort/Comfort+. Comfort+ is very similar to either the Normal mode or the Comfort mode in the F10 (depending on vehicle year). Comfort is sportier than sport mode in F10, and F06 Sport mode is way sportier than any modes in the F10. Have not tried the Sport+ with the F06 yet……
Acceleration is unreal in the F06 650i in any mode. I may not beat the M5 with DCT, but sure feels real close. I find myself using comfort+ mode a lot more with the F06 then comfort mode in the F10. The F10 550i has no slouch and can accelerate fast. But you still will feel like that you are in a ultra fast sedan, not a sport car. And the F06 acceleration is unmistakably a sport car acceleration. The F06 just yearns to go fast! If the F10 550i feels that I was catapulted off a carrier, the F06 650i definitely has a strapped to a rocket feel to the acceleration. And that’s in ANY MODE.
I think the difference in feel is due to no small part of BMW retuning the engine management of the Gran Coupe to be a sports car, instead of a sedan.

Handling
The F06 feels much smaller and nimble than the F10, comparably equipped. I am not talking about the difference between IAS and non-IAS BMWs. My old F10 also has IAS. In windy roads (Stubbs Road, Tai Hang Road, Magazine Gap road, and Repulse Bay drive for Hong Kongers…), I would be very cautious in driving the F10, always minding the sharp turns. I feel that the F10 550i is fairly front heavy, and always mindful of the size of the car.
The F06 Gran Coupe, however, handles and feels like a much smaller car. I had the same feeling when I tested the Audi A7, where it handled like a much smaller car. But the F06 nailed every turn and corner with confidence. I find myself looking forward to gunning the turns instead of trying to balance speed and the front heaviness of the F10 550i. Especially in sport mode, the 650i GC just begs to go thru every turn at speeds similar to how I drive my M3! Amazing! And the F06 feels planted to the road at every turn as well.
In terms of ride comfort, the stock F10 has a rather soft suspension. Even with adaptive drive, the F10 will exhibit a certain degree of boat ride feeling. The F06’s suspension is way more sporty and refined. Even at the comfort+ setting, the F06 does not exhibit much boat ride feeling. And in sport feeling, I can feel much of the bumps in the road, but still comfortable. With the F10, I had to try and figure out how to FIX BMW’s screw up with the suspension. With the F06, I don’t even have to think about aftermarket springs anymore……
In terms of braking, I did think that the brakes were kinda weak when I pick up the F06. However, it maybe a case of the brake pads not properly run-in yet. And now the F06 has no braking problems. However, I may put on some brembos for aesthetic purpose. Yet undecided.

Practicality
Let’s be honest. If one requires practicality, he would pick F10 over F06 10 out of 10 times. The F06’s trunk has a pretty high floor, so not as easily accessible as the F10. It is deep but opening is narrower than F10 so putting long items in the trunk at an angle maybe challenging. But for daily groceries, normal suit cases, the F06 will not have any problem. The trunk can fit 2-3 golf bags quite easily with room to spare. For “Lengthier” items, the F06 has standard fold down rear seats so it is not a problem. But the barely useful middle rear seat, with a somewhat narrower trunk opening with no electric tailgate closing, the F10 wins over F06 in the practicality aspect.

In Short
Well, F06 Gran Coupe is a sports car with 4-doors. F10 is a 4-door sport sedan. Sounds to be very similar on paper. But very different in real life. You have to experience both to appreciate the many differences. But the F06 with only 2 models in Hong Kong (640i/650i, M6 not yet) will be a lot more exclusive vs the multitude of F10 models flooding the city streets. And no matter how one mod the F10, it will never handle better than the 6 Gran Coupe. The chassis are just too different to be compensated by mods alone……
__________________
F06 650i Gran Coupe Ruby Black/Dakota Cinamon- 2012-10-12 Adaptive Drive/IAS/Surround View/Adaptive LED/Comfort Seats/BMW 356 Liquid Black/Michelin PSS 245/35R20-285/30R20
E93 M3 Cabriolet Satin Pearl White/CR - 2012/03/12 Bilstein PSS10/ Michelin PSS 245/35R19-265/35R19 Brembo GT
2011 F10 550i M Sport - Retired
mlai is offline   Hong Kong
0
Reply With Quote
      10-16-2012, 07:45 AM   #30
vegadonovan
New Member
 
Drives: F12 Black
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Singapore

Posts: 27
iTrader: (0)

nice details. thanks for the writeup. =)
vegadonovan is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-16-2012, 11:46 AM   #31
Ivan Huang
Registered
 
Drives: ordered 650i Gran coupe, CTS V
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: HongKong

Posts: 4
iTrader: (0)

Every good ...nothing to say thanks
__________________
650 GC, alpine white/cinnamon brown
Ivan Huang is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-17-2012, 11:50 AM   #32
the infamous...
Relapsed Bimmerpost Addict
 
the infamous...'s Avatar
 
Drives: like I'M BOUT THAT LIFE
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: PARADISE aka CANES COUNTRY

Posts: 17,539
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlai View Post
Yes, she's an absolute beauty! I had my eyes set on one of the frozen colours and my salesperson talked me out of it. She told me that while the frozen bronze is stunning, but most people who can't make up their minds will go with the catalog colors, which makes it not as unique. And I concur the she's dead on the money there. The 6GC should be all about uniqueness and rarity. I would hate to be in a frozen bronze and see another 3 with the same color in the parking lot

Regarding the MS8. Still undecided. The MS8 20" looked great on my F10. But when I put the MS8 onto the 6GC, they feel too big for the 6GC The 6GC is all about perfect proportions and with the MS8 20", the 6GC looks a bit wierd...... And the OEM star spokes that came with the 6GC is the ONLY OEM wheels from BMW that I liked from all these years driving BMWs. And my first bimmer was a 635CSi, so I have seen all of the BMW OEM wheels and almost all of them were ugly. But somehow the star spoke seems right on this car
understood, i respect that...

great review btw. enjoy ur sleek n sexy 6east
__________________


"simple is clean" -The ///ModFather
the infamous... is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-17-2012, 01:29 PM   #33
Jason
Administrator
 
Jason's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: USA

Posts: 16,145
iTrader: (0)

Lovely! Big fan of Ruby Black!
__________________
Check on the Latest BMW News
Become a fan of Bimmerpost Facebook
Follow us on Bimmerpost Twitter
Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel

Jason is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-17-2012, 04:41 PM   #34
mlai
Colonel
 
mlai's Avatar
 
Drives: 650GC/E93M3/Lexus LS600HL
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Hong Kong

Posts: 2,346
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Thanks! The ruby black is very exquisite. Funny, I was out driving the car and it is still rare in Hong Kong. But a 640iGC just passed next to me and guess what color it had...... Frozen Bronze
__________________
F06 650i Gran Coupe Ruby Black/Dakota Cinamon- 2012-10-12 Adaptive Drive/IAS/Surround View/Adaptive LED/Comfort Seats/BMW 356 Liquid Black/Michelin PSS 245/35R20-285/30R20
E93 M3 Cabriolet Satin Pearl White/CR - 2012/03/12 Bilstein PSS10/ Michelin PSS 245/35R19-265/35R19 Brembo GT
2011 F10 550i M Sport - Retired
mlai is offline   Hong Kong
0
Reply With Quote
      10-17-2012, 07:39 PM   #35
djsaad1
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: range rover
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: United States

Posts: 323
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlai View Post
Thanks! The ruby black is very exquisite. Funny, I was out driving the car and it is still rare in Hong Kong. But a 640iGC just passed next to me and guess what color it had...... Frozen Bronze
I ordered frozen bronze and so far I am the only one in my city that has, but I expect more soon.

Frozen bronze sticks out so much that it only takes one or two more frozen bronze cars in your area or even city to make it much less unique. I think you are right that ruby black is more unique because at first it looks black but the more you look at it the more you see how special the color is.
djsaad1 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-09-2012, 03:28 PM   #36
EdM5
Major
 
EdM5's Avatar
 
Drives: F10 M5 CP & E70 X5 Xdrive35d
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Amsterdam

Posts: 1,370
iTrader: (0)

Congrats, fantastic car.
Love the Ruby black (my X5 is ruby B as well).

Thanks for the great write up!
__________________
2004 e87 118d (ret.), 2006 e92 335d (ret.), 2007 e92 330d (ret.), 2007 e87 130i M-sport (ret.), 2009 e92 M3 (ret.), 2010 f10 535d M-sport (ret.)
2009 e70 X5 35d & 2014 f10 M5 CP
EdM5 is offline   Netherlands
0
Reply With Quote
      11-16-2012, 08:44 PM   #37
Reeses83
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2013 Mercedes E550 Coupe
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: CA, US

Posts: 113
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Beautiful car!! The ruby black is unique!! This was my first time seeing it. Congrats and enjoy!!
Reeses83 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-17-2012, 01:58 AM   #38
kelvin12382003
New Member
 
Drives: Audi S3 Sportback S-Stronic
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Hong Kong

Posts: 22
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via MSN to kelvin12382003
Nice one mate. I would like to see it in person. What a car!
kelvin12382003 is offline   Hong Kong
0
Reply With Quote
      11-18-2012, 10:12 AM   #39
m630
Lieutenant
 
m630's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 640i GC
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: nyc/li

Posts: 518
iTrader: (0)

Congrats, car looks great! I luv the rims too, i'll be getting a set of them in the spring to use as my warm weather set....enjoy and good luck
__________________
'13 640i Gran Coupe Black Sapphire Metallic w/ Cinnamon ...Lux Seats / CWP / Prem Sound...and pure driving excitement!!!
'13 335i M Sport, DESTROYED by SANDY Estoril blau II/black
Dearly departed '08 M6 . . .Interlagos Blau/SS II...Past lives...'05 645Ci...'00 323i...'85 735i...'77 630CSi...'86 325es ...'01 740iL...'09 X3
m630 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-21-2012, 03:57 AM   #40
wlin
Sleeper
 
wlin's Avatar
 
Drives: 11' E82
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Orange County

Posts: 44
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
11' BMW E82  [2.75]
13' MBZ X166  [5.00]
12' MBZ W218  [5.00]
12' BMW F12  [5.00]
11' BMW F10  [5.00]
Send a message via ICQ to wlin Send a message via AIM to wlin Send a message via MSN to wlin Send a message via Yahoo to wlin Send a message via Skype™ to wlin
Thumbs up Great review

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlai View Post
I have spent couple of days with the F06 650i now and see if I can do a simple comparison of various aspects between the 650i and the F10 550i.....

Body Styling and exterior
No contest there. The F06 has a much more aggressive appearance than the now fairly common F10 in Hong Kong. The F06 turns heads everywhere. The F06 sits quite a bit lower than the F10. Although slightly longer and wider, the F06 by itself does not look bigger than the F10 at all.
The new LED headlights and fogs are stunning to look at. However, I do find the LED lights not as bright as Xenon headlights. But still very sufficient lighting for night driving.
Aesthetic-wise, I am in no hurry to lower the car or switch to larger wheels at the moment. The Hong Kong spec 650i Gran Coupe comes with the 19” 367 star spoke wheels, which seems to suit the style of the Gran Coupe, a rare occurrence for BMW wheels….. And the wheel gap between the tyres to the fender is around 2-3 fingers, not like the F10 which is 4+ fingers even with 20” wheels…… Maybe I will try putting on my MS8 20” and take some pictures to compare. But now, the OEM 19” star spoke stays……
I am happy that I didn’t opt for the M Sport front end on the Gran Coupe. For some reason, the M front on this car takes away too much classiness on the Gran Coupe. And surprisingly, the chrome elements on the standard Gran Coupe works very well aesthetically. But then, to each their own.

Interior Comfort
I have ordered the comfort seats for the Gran Coupe, where as it was standard for my old F10 550i in Hong Kong. I find the comfort seats in the Gran Coupe stiffer than the comfort seats in the F10. And the side bolsters on the comfort seats on the Gran Coupe are not adjustable to the same degree of tightness as in the F10. The Gran Coupe comfort seat headrest are manually adjusted where as they are electronically adjusted in the F10. Front seat belts are attached to the should of the seats in the F06, which suits me just fine. Front space feels to be about the same as in the F10 for driver and passenger. There are less storage space around the driver area in the F06 than the F10 (no driver side amenity drawer), and the 12V outlet is not in between the cup holder, but in the small amenity opening behind the shift lever. This will be a problem if one needs to charge their phone on a dash mount…… Oh and there is less space to fit a dashboard mount for the phone in the first place…….
As for the rear passengers, there seems to be a bit more legroom in the F06 than F10 when the driver and front passenger are sitting comfortably. This is most likely due to the fact the the front comfort seats in the F06 are way less bulky than the F10 comfort seats. If one opted for the sport seats or standard seats, the rear legroom will be even better! But then, having sat in the sport seats of the Gran Coupe, I will not settle for anything other than comfort seats in the F06.
Obviously, there are less headrooms for the rear passengers, but I have not had anyone (adults) complain that they are uncomfortable. Oh, no. I have not had any lady (or gentleman) sad in the middle rear bench yet…… And there is no easy access 12V outlet for the rear seat passengers. So need to buy long charging cables for my children’s phones….. All-in-all, the rear seats are fairly comfortable for REGULAR ASIAN sized adults for driving around in Hong Kong. Yao Ming may be problematic…….

Visibility
The Gran Coupe has excellent visibility for front and side. It is much easier to adjust to the perfect driving position for myself. I only spend 2-3 mins and everything is perfect in the F06. In contrast, I spend days trying to figure out an optimal driving seat position in the F10. The major drawback in the F06 Gran Coupe will be the relatively small rear windows. The F10 beats it hands down in that regard. Even my E93 has better visibility via the rear window than the F06…..

Engine, Power, and tune
Well, the F06 650i has the NEW N63TU engine, which gives out 50 more horses than the N63 of the F10 550i. Yes, I can feel the added power. But I think more important is that the engine management is tuned very differently than the F10 550i. There is absolutely no hesitation in the F06 which was apparent in the F10 550i. The throttle is way more responsive and slightly stiffer then the F10. My F06 has the Adaptive drive so DDC has 4 (and a half) modes: Sport+/Sport/Comfort/Comfort+/Eco Pro<- half a mode. There are noticeable difference of throttle response between Sport/Comfort/Comfort+. Comfort+ is very similar to either the Normal mode or the Comfort mode in the F10 (depending on vehicle year). Comfort is sportier than sport mode in F10, and F06 Sport mode is way sportier than any modes in the F10. Have not tried the Sport+ with the F06 yet……
Acceleration is unreal in the F06 650i in any mode. I may not beat the M5 with DCT, but sure feels real close. I find myself using comfort+ mode a lot more with the F06 then comfort mode in the F10. The F10 550i has no slouch and can accelerate fast. But you still will feel like that you are in a ultra fast sedan, not a sport car. And the F06 acceleration is unmistakably a sport car acceleration. The F06 just yearns to go fast! If the F10 550i feels that I was catapulted off a carrier, the F06 650i definitely has a strapped to a rocket feel to the acceleration. And that’s in ANY MODE.
I think the difference in feel is due to no small part of BMW retuning the engine management of the Gran Coupe to be a sports car, instead of a sedan.

Handling
The F06 feels much smaller and nimble than the F10, comparably equipped. I am not talking about the difference between IAS and non-IAS BMWs. My old F10 also has IAS. In windy roads (Stubbs Road, Tai Hang Road, Magazine Gap road, and Repulse Bay drive for Hong Kongers…), I would be very cautious in driving the F10, always minding the sharp turns. I feel that the F10 550i is fairly front heavy, and always mindful of the size of the car.
The F06 Gran Coupe, however, handles and feels like a much smaller car. I had the same feeling when I tested the Audi A7, where it handled like a much smaller car. But the F06 nailed every turn and corner with confidence. I find myself looking forward to gunning the turns instead of trying to balance speed and the front heaviness of the F10 550i. Especially in sport mode, the 650i GC just begs to go thru every turn at speeds similar to how I drive my M3! Amazing! And the F06 feels planted to the road at every turn as well.
In terms of ride comfort, the stock F10 has a rather soft suspension. Even with adaptive drive, the F10 will exhibit a certain degree of boat ride feeling. The F06’s suspension is way more sporty and refined. Even at the comfort+ setting, the F06 does not exhibit much boat ride feeling. And in sport feeling, I can feel much of the bumps in the road, but still comfortable. With the F10, I had to try and figure out how to FIX BMW’s screw up with the suspension. With the F06, I don’t even have to think about aftermarket springs anymore……
In terms of braking, I did think that the brakes were kinda weak when I pick up the F06. However, it maybe a case of the brake pads not properly run-in yet. And now the F06 has no braking problems. However, I may put on some brembos for aesthetic purpose. Yet undecided.

Practicality
Let’s be honest. If one requires practicality, he would pick F10 over F06 10 out of 10 times. The F06’s trunk has a pretty high floor, so not as easily accessible as the F10. It is deep but opening is narrower than F10 so putting long items in the trunk at an angle maybe challenging. But for daily groceries, normal suit cases, the F06 will not have any problem. The trunk can fit 2-3 golf bags quite easily with room to spare. For “Lengthier” items, the F06 has standard fold down rear seats so it is not a problem. But the barely useful middle rear seat, with a somewhat narrower trunk opening with no electric tailgate closing, the F10 wins over F06 in the practicality aspect.

In Short
Well, F06 Gran Coupe is a sports car with 4-doors. F10 is a 4-door sport sedan. Sounds to be very similar on paper. But very different in real life. You have to experience both to appreciate the many differences. But the F06 with only 2 models in Hong Kong (640i/650i, M6 not yet) will be a lot more exclusive vs the multitude of F10 models flooding the city streets. And no matter how one mod the F10, it will never handle better than the 6 Gran Coupe. The chassis are just too different to be compensated by mods alone……
Great review; stunning looking F06. Congrats!
__________________
"Real enthusiasts get their hands dirty"
-11' F10 550i JetBlk
-11' E82 135i DeepSea (retired)
-05' E63 645Ci MinAg (retired)
wlin is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:31 PM.




6post.com
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST