BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

09-16-2012, 03:16 PM   #1
Jaff
Jordan
Rep
Drives: BMW's, SLR Mclaren, Lexus

Review of the F13 M6, from an E64 M6 owner

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Got the chance to drive the new M6, and wrote the article giving my experience.
Some pics included too

The Monster is back; The new BMW F12 M6

A new M car is always big news when launched. Which catches the attention of enthusiasts, enviers, youngsters, and other manufactures. Why is that though? Well simply said is because the BMW Motorsport division are the ones who started the segment of beast in sheep’s clothing in the 80’s and since then it has been a brand which we have most grown to love, and has been the benchmark for all.

A drivers car which can be like a Swiss Army knife, a car which you can drive to drop of the kids to school, do the grocery, then taking it to the track and letting it rip and putting supercars to shame. A no compromise everyday supercar.

We have been very lucky to review one of the very first BMW M6’s in the Middle East region. So we had to benchmark it, we had to find a car to compare it with. So the search ended up null. We needed a reliable German car with similar specs to the M6, and had to find out that there wasn’t any out there. We needed a GT in the price range.

What about the Porsche 911, Mercedes SL63 AMG? The 911 are far from being a grand tourer and is a sports car, the back seats are a joke, and SL Benz has no back seats. Well our search ended with in the brand with the previous generation BMW E64 M6, and we needed to drive them both.

BMW M’s philosophy has always been about high revving naturally aspirated engines. Having a turbo or automatic has always been taboo, but that philosophy has been completely shattered with the new M6. Yes the new M has a turbo, and has ditched the naturally aspirated racing derived 5.0 V10 for a 4.4 V8 bi-turbo. What? Why would they ever do that? Looks like a step backwards.

Large automobile manufactures have had to look for methods of creating more efficient engines which create more power, and also reduce it fuel consumption and emissions. That is not an easy thing to do, since the natural aspirated engines had reached its peak in achieving that. The turbo seemed to be the answer, and over the years they had figured out how to make it better and better, but can never replace the whale of the natural aspirated engines.

With the M6's new setup, It has boosted its power to 560 horsepower, and 680 Nm of torque.
Doing 0 to 100 km/h in 4.2 secs

So the new M6, so far it looks like a step backwards by BMW M, but you are very wrong. It is a new M built for a new era, and we love it. This car is very difficult to compare to the previous generation, and they have nothing in common but the BMW logo. They come from different eras and different philosophies. The new M6 is more of a revolution than an evolution.

With the styling BMW have returned to the classic BMW’s, and Chris Bangles designs have vanished which we’ll not complain about. It looks very elegant and expensive without it being too shouty. It is a huge coupe with a lot of presence and character. The interior is what you expect from BMW, very well made and high tech with carbon fiber all around. Down to the nicest details like the red, and blue stitching on the steering wheel.

With both generations capable of speeds excess of 330 km/h delimited, both do it in different ways. The new M6 feels more relaxed and tamed doing it, with its 7 speed double clutch transmission DCT its much smoother, too smooth in fact comparing to the SMG lll which was really good at the track but failed with being a little jerky and tricky at city driving.

The new turbo engine is a beast, with very high low-end torque and a large power band mated to the 7 speed DCT it is a very capable all rounder. When driving, you hardly notice it being a forced induction engine, and as responsive as its natural aspirated old brother. The way it delivers its power to the ground through its trick differential is just epic, and at the corners it feels that its kidding with you.

The new M6 is like a tamed Rottweiler, civilized when you want it to be, and aggressive when you need it to be. Unlike the older M6, well that’s a pit-bull which doesn’t like being tamed, it just wants to be fast all the time and really hates going slow. The M6 is very driver oriented and a true GT. Capable of long distances with comfort and fun, and with a bigger fuel tank and an engine that is more efficient by 30%, you could have more fun without stopping and feeling guilty about melting the ice on the north pole.

The new M6 is an amazing all rounder, with crazy power, speed, agility, looks, practicality, beauty, quality, reliability, comfort, and driver involvement. But it loses when it comes to the sound it makes. Not that is any bad, it is nothing compared to that of the high pitch F1 sound V10 from the previous M6, that was the only compromise BMW had to make for the new age.

With the price of upwards of 200,000 JD’s, the M6 is the most expensive and fastest BMW offered, and you get what you pay for. It is a true super car that will impress you for what it is that has none of the drawbacks and compromises of other super cars. This is a car you can drive everyday without worry and really enjoy it, not cover it in a garage and look at it over a glass of wine fearing it will break down driving it.

We could say the new M6 is a true M in every way, but in a whole new way. Don’t for one second think that BMW M have lost its game. BMW M has made an engineering marvel that doesn’t disappoint in any way, and we could call it the the new boss, same as the old boss, it is the new benchmark for Super GT’s.

Jaff
      09-16-2012, 03:47 PM   #2
PJFLA
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 M6

Well done. Thanks for posting.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2012, 03:15 PM   #3
Jaff
Jordan
Rep
Drives: BMW's, SLR Mclaren, Lexus

Thank you !
      09-19-2012, 10:23 PM   #4
M3 Esq
Automobilist
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5, 911 GT3

Nice write-up. I need to test drive one of these beasts at some point.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 10:24 PM   #5
datbimmerdoe
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: like I'M BOUT THAT LIFE

good review!

FOLLOW @datbimmerdoe on INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2012, 04:11 PM   #6
smashhell
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Very nice review.
I believe really BMW's competitor to this car is the Aston Martin V8.
which the M6 is better than in every way.
      10-08-2012, 10:45 AM   #7
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

I don't think the review was useful, at all.

It simply restates some press-release facts, and shows some side by side pictures.

No commentary on the driving experience vs. the E64, handling, etc.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2012, 10:55 AM   #8
laurenxesq
Banned
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 & P car

nice write up, thank you.

I'll have to test drive one of these babies at some time, minus the faulty oil pump.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2012, 11:11 AM   #9
joshg120
Private
Rep
Drives: IS350

Clear rival is a maserati granturismo, although it is a bit down on power, they are very comparable. nice write-up tho
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2012, 11:24 AM   #10
Frosty
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M240i - 2021 - 6MT -

"engine that is more efficient by 30%, you could have more fun without stopping and feeling guilty about melting the ice on the north pole."

ha ha!
Prelude (5MT) (1995)
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2012, 11:46 AM   #11
S4NoMore
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 340i, 15 X3d, 91 318i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
2015 BMW X3 28d  [0.00]
1991 BMW 318i  [8.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
I don't think the review was useful, at all.

It simply restates some press-release facts, and shows some side by side pictures.

No commentary on the driving experience vs. the E64, handling, etc.
Came here looking for that as well.

Last week I had the opportunity to briefly test out the new M6, unfortunately it was a convertible but I can't complain. I can offer a bit of comparison as my father had a 10-cyl M6 coupe a couple years ago.

I think everyone who has experienced the S85 must face the unfortunate realization that it was quite possibly the peak of BMW engines, save perhaps for the V12 although it doesn't get to go into anything but the beastly 760Li (got to drive that at the same event - what a machine).

The S63tu is every bit as monsterous and does provide much more usable punch in the low end, where the S85 really felt like a dog. My complaint is that while they've done a great job with sizing the turbo for minimal lag, minimal does not mean nonexistant, and the lag is noticable at gear changes especially. The new SMG is fantastic and almost makes up for it, but the imperceptibility of the transmission changing gears only highlights what you can feel - the lapse in power delivery from the motor.

With the S85 it was the other way around - the engine waited for the trans - but it felt amazing even if accompanied by a bang (which is avoidable with the Tiff Needell method, see Fifth Gear E60 M5 review). When exiting a corner the response was ferocious, and unfortunately the S63tu lacks slightly. Thus is the downfall of an engine that relies on compressors.

The V8 sound is nice, I don't mind the pops on downshifting, but the V10 was so intoxicating and unique it cannot compare. Winding out to 8,250 rpm is another unforgettable thing and undeniably gives the bigger motor a leg up.

Personally I would rather have the S85, but overall no one will argue that the new M6 is a step forward. The interior is absolutely a revolution compared to the almost-too-simple previous design. I also loved the retro-style steering wheel. For me, though, the S85 is proof of the brilliance of naturally aspirated motors, and is something I'll hopefully never forget.

/rant
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2012, 11:49 AM   #12
vladberca
Major General
Romania
Rep
Drives: '18 octavia 2.0 tdi dsg

Great review!
It reminds us very well the differences between the old and the new beast with "+" and "-" for each one
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2012, 12:07 PM   #13
kgroschi
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: 08' M5, '09 335i, '18 M3 MT

V10

I just miss that SMG gearbox more than I miss the normally aspirated V10. However I do miss that one too

However my friend posted this yesterday. A BMW 1 with the S85 V10 engine and SMG gearbox and it only costs 20.000 Euro's to convert a 1 coupe. Maybe I go for that next time. It's kind of a must have!

http://www.bimmertoday.de/2012/10/08...bau-m3-m5-e82/
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2012, 12:09 PM   #14
DooBs
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1 Series M Coupe 697/740

first I thought ... "meh too lazy to read. nice pics though. back to work"

then "... is that an SLR??

GIFSoup

L1MTD

Appreciate 0
      10-08-2012, 12:30 PM   #15
bnombe
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '12 E92M3 6MT/ZCP/JetBlkFoxRed

Nice perspective. I see some complain this is not a useful review; well, I read it as an owner of the previous M6 giving impression on the new one, not a technical comparo per se and it is a good short read.

The key point I got from it and have to agree is that it is a different era now and the turbo engines is the current solution to maintain (and improve) power while meeting the drastic fuel consumption and emission control requirements. Just fact of the new global state of affairs whether we as automobile enthusiasts (some purists) like the government imposing or not.

I LOVE high revving NA engines while accepting the changing regulations forcing manufacturers' hands. So my current solution: get my S65 V8 now and keep my options open for the future. Until they stop making gasoline, we can still choose to drive these "old fashion" NA engined beasts all we want, haha...
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2012, 03:32 PM   #16
Majdnoon
Welek Ya Kelb
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1998 E36 M3 Coupe

I agree with the "it's not an evolution, its a revolution." This doesn't just go for the M cars, but BMW as a whole is revamping its whole strategy for a new era. And I think they'll do fine, too
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2012, 10:44 PM   #17
1'M Blue
Major
Oman
Rep
Drives: 1M

Great write up and review . Love that steering wheel. I cant wait for the M6 GC.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2012, 12:46 AM   #18
roadmax
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3 Coupe

Has it been taken into account that new M6 in this review is a coupe and the old M6 in a convertible.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2012, 10:24 AM   #19
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by smashhell View Post
Very nice review.
I believe really BMW's competitor to this car is the Aston Martin V8.
which the M6 is better than in every way.
I wouldn't say it's better in every way. I'd still give the nod to the Aston for its looks and the sound of its NA V8, though those are both subjective.
      10-09-2012, 03:37 PM   #20
b33g33
Give '///M' Hell!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Einser Rex

Nice pics.
The 1 series M is the most badass, coolest, sickest BMW to debut since the 1988 M3. The E30 M3 finally has a successor. Please welcome the stupidly fast, wickedly tempered, awkwardly named, possibly perfect little son of a benchmark - Automobile Magazine, August 2011

Appreciate 0
      10-09-2012, 04:06 PM   #21
manicm
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 sDrive18i

Very fashionable to bash Bangle's designs, and I admit not all were successful but objectively speaking the previous 6-series was much better looking, more athleticly styled than the new grandfather-mobile, which is just too long, too staid.

Last edited by manicm; 10-09-2012 at 05:15 PM..
Appreciate 0