BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      06-29-2012, 10:56 AM   #1
jg_BMW_indy
New Member
 
Drives: Interlagos M3 09 Coup
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Indiana

Posts: 8
iTrader: (0)

First drive .. M6 Vert

San Marino Blue - Black on Black inside.

I went easy on the car considering it's not mine, new and first drive. I will drive again with lighter traffic.


The car is very smooth in full sport mode. The car feels agile for it's weight, but of course the M3 is much sharper.


The car makes a great range of noises which was surprising and I was told that there is no engine noise pumping in (I will look into this more). I would almost go as far to say it's better than the M3 because it makes noises in a wide range of activities vs. hard acceleration of the NA V8.

The wheels (20”), rotors, color, and sound are what really make this car “pop”.

The seats are very snug and the steering wheel is perfect. Almost everything else is very close to the 650.

It really is a jekyll and hyde. It does luxury and sport at high levels very well.

I just don’t know if it’s worth the $55k price difference.
jg_BMW_indy is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-29-2012, 11:13 AM   #2
m630
Lieutenant
 
m630's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 640i GC
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: nyc/li

Posts: 520
iTrader: (0)

The noise you hear is the artificial soundtrack that bmw and M have choosen to use as the solution rather than building a proper exhaust tune. It is fake sound, a recording played through the stereo system, its called Active Sound, the worst decision BMW and M have ever made.
__________________
'13 640i Gran Coupe Black Sapphire Metallic w/ Cinnamon ...Lux Seats / CWP / Prem Sound...and pure driving excitement!!!
'13 335i M Sport, DESTROYED by SANDY Estoril blau II/black
Dearly departed '08 M6 . . .Interlagos Blau/SS II...Past lives...'05 645Ci...'00 323i...'85 735i...'77 630CSi...'86 325es ...'01 740iL...'09 X3
m630 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-29-2012, 02:39 PM   #3
BigHat
Lieutenant
 
BigHat's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 M3 E93
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NoVa

Posts: 513
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by m630 View Post
The noise you hear is the artificial soundtrack that bmw and M have choosen to use as the solution rather than building a proper exhaust tune. It is fake sound, a recording played through the stereo system, its called Active Sound, the worst decision BMW and M have ever made.
I don't believe this is confirmed to be the case in the M6 as yet. Have a reference?

Of all the "first drives" by pro orgs I've read thus far this has yet to be mentioned, while other M5 similiarities have been.
BigHat is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-29-2012, 04:24 PM   #4
m630
Lieutenant
 
m630's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 640i GC
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: nyc/li

Posts: 520
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHat View Post
I don't believe this is confirmed to be the case in the M6 as yet. Have a reference?

Of all the "first drives" by pro orgs I've read thus far this has yet to be mentioned, while other M5 similiarities have been.
I believed I read it was also being used in the M6 and reading the OPs comments on sounds sort of makes me lean towards this as the turbos would otherwise not present the sounds as described above. I actually hope I'm wrong ofcourse as I'd wish BMW and M would never have thought of such a scheme in the first place. I'll never understand why they just didn't follow Alpina and just hira Akra to design and supply the exhaust for true sound...
__________________
'13 640i Gran Coupe Black Sapphire Metallic w/ Cinnamon ...Lux Seats / CWP / Prem Sound...and pure driving excitement!!!
'13 335i M Sport, DESTROYED by SANDY Estoril blau II/black
Dearly departed '08 M6 . . .Interlagos Blau/SS II...Past lives...'05 645Ci...'00 323i...'85 735i...'77 630CSi...'86 325es ...'01 740iL...'09 X3
m630 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-29-2012, 05:38 PM   #5
BigHat
Lieutenant
 
BigHat's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 M3 E93
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NoVa

Posts: 513
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by m630 View Post
I believed I read it was also being used in the M6 and reading the OPs comments on sounds sort of makes me lean towards this as the turbos would otherwise not present the sounds as described above. I actually hope I'm wrong ofcourse as I'd wish BMW and M would never have thought of such a scheme in the first place. I'll never understand why they just didn't follow Alpina and just hira Akra to design and supply the exhaust for true sound...
Agree, I hope they didn't. Maybe just intense wishful thinking on my part.
BigHat is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-30-2012, 02:35 PM   #6
jg_BMW_indy
New Member
 
Drives: Interlagos M3 09 Coup
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Indiana

Posts: 8
iTrader: (0)

At a distance ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by m630 View Post
The noise you hear is the artificial soundtrack that bmw and M have choosen to use as the solution rather than building a proper exhaust tune. It is fake sound, a recording played through the stereo system, its called Active Sound, the worst decision BMW and M have ever made.
I could hear some of the sounds when the car was being moved and driven by staff (I was outside of car).

When I drive the car again I will listen for the source of sound when I'm driving. I know they can play tricks with the direction of sound; however, it really did sound like it was coming from the engine and exhaust .. same sound I could hear when they were moving car.
jg_BMW_indy is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-02-2012, 10:27 AM   #7
jettie1767
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: '14 M6 GC - Tanzanite Blue
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Colts Neck, NJ

Posts: 324
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to jettie1767 Send a message via Yahoo to jettie1767 Send a message via Skype™ to jettie1767
Quote:
Originally Posted by m630 View Post
The noise you hear is the artificial soundtrack that bmw and M have choosen to use as the solution rather than building a proper exhaust tune. It is fake sound, a recording played through the stereo system, its called Active Sound, the worst decision BMW and M have ever made.
I haven't read anywhere confirming that the BMW Active Sound Design was applied to the M6. I believe it was only for the M5.

As hard as I try to listen to the sound coming from the speakers, I don't hear a thing. But, when I was in the back of the car while the car was idling, the muffler definitely rumbles.
jettie1767 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-02-2012, 10:47 PM   #8
racedoc11
Major
 
racedoc11's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Audi RS5 & 2008 M3 E93
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: USA

Posts: 1,166
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2013 Audi RS5  [5.00]
2008 E93 M3  [5.00]
I Was at my dealer on Sat and I got a chance to hear it...it sounded strange. I tried to hear if there are any sounds coming from the speakers but I couldn't tell. The sales guy said there is no active sound but he didn't know what I was referring to. Defiantly my M sounded better engine wise. I'm supposed to take it for a test drive tomorrow if it is not sold (an older couple were looking at it) .
Quote:
Originally Posted by jettie1767 View Post
I haven't read anywhere confirming that the BMW Active Sound Design was applied to the M6. I believe it was only for the M5.

As hard as I try to listen to the sound coming from the speakers, I don't hear a thing. But, when I was in the back of the car while the car was idling, the muffler definitely rumbles.
racedoc11 is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-03-2012, 08:26 AM   #9
m630
Lieutenant
 
m630's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 640i GC
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: nyc/li

Posts: 520
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by racedoc11 View Post
I Was at my dealer on Sat and I got a chance to hear it...it sounded strange. I tried to hear if there are any sounds coming from the speakers but I couldn't tell. The sales guy said there is no active sound but he didn't know what I was referring to. Defiantly my M sounded better engine wise. I'm supposed to take it for a test drive tomorrow if it is not sold (an older couple were looking at it) .

try to find which fuse is for the stereo system and pull it, thats the only way you can be sure, its how some guys in the M5 tested for it
__________________
'13 640i Gran Coupe Black Sapphire Metallic w/ Cinnamon ...Lux Seats / CWP / Prem Sound...and pure driving excitement!!!
'13 335i M Sport, DESTROYED by SANDY Estoril blau II/black
Dearly departed '08 M6 . . .Interlagos Blau/SS II...Past lives...'05 645Ci...'00 323i...'85 735i...'77 630CSi...'86 325es ...'01 740iL...'09 X3
m630 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-12-2012, 03:50 PM   #10
novablackm3
Captain
 
Drives: e92 m3 , e70 x5m
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Northern VA

Posts: 640
iTrader: (3)

Send a message via AIM to novablackm3
have you even heard the exhaust or engine noise in person? its pretty bad ass
__________________
Alpine White E70 11 X5M - K&N Filter , STI Mag , LI , Self coded , Ultimate DP
Jerez Black E92 10 m3 - STI Mag| LI | RE SSK | AFE Filter | Fabspeed XFC / Xpipe | AA ECU 1.5v | BMW PSW | | Envy Charger | Megan Exhaust | Mich SuperSport | Self coded a bunch of stuff
Jetblack E92 08 m3 - V1 | RE SSK | RR Scoops | AFE Filter | AA ECU <Retired>
novablackm3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-24-2012, 05:53 PM   #11
BigHat
Lieutenant
 
BigHat's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 M3 E93
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NoVa

Posts: 513
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHat View Post
I don't believe this is confirmed to be the case in the M6 as yet. Have a reference?

Of all the "first drives" by pro orgs I've read thus far this has yet to be mentioned, while other M5 similiarities have been.
Automobile Magazine confirms in its new review that there is no audio exhaust sounds in the M6.

Last edited by BigHat; 08-08-2012 at 08:24 PM.
BigHat is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-10-2012, 07:58 PM   #12
racedoc11
Major
 
racedoc11's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Audi RS5 & 2008 M3 E93
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: USA

Posts: 1,166
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2013 Audi RS5  [5.00]
2008 E93 M3  [5.00]
I agree but it lacks the sound of the engine unlike the M3 V8.
Quote:
Originally Posted by novablackm3 View Post
have you even heard the exhaust or engine noise in person? its pretty bad ass
racedoc11 is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:56 PM.




6post.com
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST