BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

07-18-2024, 04:03 PM   #1
Cincinnatus
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M6

Tire damage advice

Picked this up in my travels somehow. What really sucks is that I don't have a thousand miles on all 4 yet, just replaced all of the rubber in April, if memory serves.. Would you guys repair the tire or just replace it?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-19-2024, 12:00 AM   #2
DarkMastyr
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6GC

That's probably too close to the sidewall for most tire shops to agree to repair. If no road hazard warranty, likely will need to eat the cost for at least 1 axle (2 tires).
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2024, 12:36 AM   #3
FlyinLowSD
Tinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 640i GC,1994 300ZX MT 2+2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincinnatus View Post
Picked this up in my travels somehow. What really sucks is that I don't have a thousand miles on all 4 yet, just replaced all of the rubber in April, if memory serves.. Would you guys repair the tire or just replace it?
REPAIR (Edit: Unless you’ve driven on it flat)
It appears that that is through the belt. Take it to a reputable tire shop and get it properly repaired. I just had two punctures repaired at DiscountTire. They’re a fantastic outfit. They will advise you if it is not repairable according to the manufacturer’s warranty requirements. A proper repair will in fact allow you to continue enjoying spirited drives and get full life out of your rubber.

Michelin requirements:
“If your tire becomes damaged, it may be repaired if it meets the following criteria:
1. The tire has not been driven on when flat.
2. The damage is only on the tread section of your tire (sidewall damage ruins a tire immediately) and/or
3. the puncture is no greater than ¼"

Repairs of all tires must be of the combined-plug-and-inside-patch type.

Your MICHELIN tires (including Michelin PAX System™ tires) must be removed from the wheel for inspection prior to repair. Plug-type repairs made on a tire that remains mounted on a wheel are improper and can result in an accident. A tire should be removed from the rim and inspected prior to repair. Any tire repair done without removing the tire from the rim is improper and can result in an accident.”

That being said, it is reasonable to plug a leaking tire with a DIY (external only) plug as long as that is in order to travel the miles directly to a tire shop. Do not use goop or slime or other sealant-in-a-can unless you plan on replacing the tire ASAP.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2024, 06:30 AM   #4
Cincinnatus
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyinLowSD View Post
That being said, it is reasonable to plug a leaking tire with a DIY (external only) plug as long as that is in order to travel the miles directly to a tire shop. Do not use goop or slime or other sealant-in-a-can unless you plan on replacing the tire ASAP.
I think the play is to just plug the tire, bring it to my indy shop and replace it with a new one. If it were my DD, it's no big deal because I'm only doing 'normal' highway speeds, but in this case... well, you know.

How far would you say it's safe to drive to the shop? My guys are about 100-ish miles away.

Last edited by Cincinnatus; 07-21-2024 at 08:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2024, 08:18 AM   #5
Cincinnatus
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Update: Ordered a replacement from Tire Rack. They didn't list a 4S specifically for BMW with the star on it, they listed Audi / Porsche / Ferrari... so I got the one for Audi. I has an 'A/O' on the sidewall. I assume this is acceptable, yes?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-23-2024, 05:35 PM   #6
JDMSteven
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F13 M6, '94 JDM Supra

Garage List
2013 BMW M6  [9.75]
Cincinnatus Yup, all that branding BS is just marketing... All 4S tires are the same
Vorsteiner VFF-103 Carbon Graphite 343M dimensions • H&R Lowering Springs • Soul PP Resonated Muffler Delete • AeroFunction AF-1 Carbon Front Lip • Carbon Front Grilles • Carbon Mirror Caps • IND Black Fender Vents
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2024, 11:40 PM   #7
arucano
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 Grand Coupe CP

Garage List
2014 BMW M6 GC  [10.00]
There are slight compound and distribution difference between the different manufacturer's requirements. For daily use you will not feel the difference. The difference is basically at or close to the limit and wear.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2024, 08:53 PM   #8
FlyinLowSD
Tinker
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Update: Ordered a replacement from Tire Rack. They didn't list a 4S specifically for BMW …
That’s odd! I can specify OE spec for BMW/Mini for PS4S on Discount Tire website. Since they bought Tire Rack a few years back, you’d think they’d make things available across the board. Or maybe they only carry them for certain sizes
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2024, 09:49 AM   #9
Cincinnatus
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyinLowSD View Post
That’s odd! I can specify OE spec for BMW/Mini for PS4S on Discount Tire website. Since they bought Tire Rack a few years back, you’d think they’d make things available across the board. Or maybe they only carry them for certain sizes
Yeah, I thought it was odd. Checked over at Discount Tire and it's the same situation. Just glad I got something 95%+ of what I need, just so I can get back on the road for the rest of the season.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2024, 01:56 PM   #10
Cincinnatus
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I got something like that locally and managed to plug the tire, but was told that for our cars, a repair might be dodgy and I do have a tendency to make sure the limiter is working properly.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2024, 02:02 AM   #11
FlyinLowSD
Tinker
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I got something like that locally and managed to plug the tire, but was told that for our cars, a repair might be dodgy and I do have a tendency to make sure the limiter is working properly.
“Michelin policy is that properly-repaired Z-rated tires, such as my Pilot Sports, retain their Z speed rating.”
(From https://www.m5board.com/threads/mich...d-tires.24747/)

Properly repaired, as in by an authorized reseller. Who will refuse to make a repair if the damage does not meet the requirements of “repairable”.
Appreciate 0