11-29-2016, 07:46 PM   #6
JakeBMW
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 650i Xdrive GC -Carbon Bk

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by upstate650 View Post
17's seem small for the car - I'm not 100% sure they will fit over 650 brakes but if Tire Rack says they will they probably will. Not sure where in Illinois you are, but unless the roads around you are absolutely terrible there isnt much benefit to downsizing your wheels. Personally, I don't think it looks right and I don't want my car looking like that 5 months of the year.

My preference has always been to find a good looking solid wheel, perhaps OE, and use that. I would worry about using a $145 wheel on this car. It's a heavy car and cheap cast wheels aren't the greatest. Based on that wheels's comments about where you have to locate weights the 17" wheel barely fits and probably isn't a good idea for a winter wheel with the potential for rocks snow and ice between the wheel and caliper.

As far as tires are concerned, I am a huge fan of Nokian. I personally run Nokian Hakkapaliitta * studded snows, but the Hakka R non studded is a great tire as well. They wear like iron and are the best snows I have ever used. You get a little tire squirm if pushing them because they are deep treads and soft, but tires are all about compromises. decide what you desire mst in a snow tire, and pick your tire based on that quality. If it is traction in snow and ice, You won't regret a set of Nokians.

Thanks!!!!! I too was concerned about the fitting over the brakes. I just started looking at 18" and will probably go that route.

Question - What offset should I get? Sorry but total noob about this.

Thanks again!