11-10-2013, 05:48 AM   #16
Bönz
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpokenHands View Post
This is one of those silly marketing tactics that some mid-level brand manager thinks up and no one thinks through, ends up offending more buyers than the ones they delight!

I find the EU marketing machine is more measured: in the UK through dealers and direct communications, BMW has been offering reduced servicing cost packages even for unexpected costs, valeting offers, airport drop offs for servicing, free home pick up and drop off for servicing at not extra cost, price-match with independent servicing shops, actually lowering the price of often used consumables on the cost of ownership side of things.

Then there is free 24 hour roadside assistance and insurance liaison in the event of an accident, coupons for lifetime discounts on a range of attractive after sales needs, personalised 3D displays of upcoming car models via 'Genius' product experts who actually know what they're talking about, access to BMW car magazines and clubs,... In my experience, all of these add up to a more rounded and value-driven ownership experience of a BMW car meaning you've less reason to look elsewhere.

Now not all dealers deliver this level of service, and if you're getting a company leased car through a fleet manager, maybe less so. But I find this level of investment and commitment to the after sales experience commendable and sincere.

Don't get me wrong, I'll take the framed lithograph. But the other stuff really makes this brand reinforce premium value and experience at a time the marquee is going mass premium (and runs the risk of undermining its exclusivity). How's that for marketing stardust?
I get most of this too, even with a lease.
Appreciate 0