View Single Post
      08-22-2017, 11:56 AM   #278
Addleduit
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 650i Gran Sport

My wife has a 2013 BMW 650i Gran Sport that has just turned 36,000 miles and is now out of factory warranty. On at least a half dozen occassions (before the expiration of the warranty) she complained to the service rep at the dealership that on several occassions her whole car would begin to vibrate. When she would turn the car off and then back on again, the vibrations would stop. In relating this information to the service represenatives at the BMW dealership, she would be told that since they couldn't replicate the problem they couldn't diagnose its cause. About a month ago I was driving my wifes car at a steady 45mph when all of a sudden it felt like I was driving the car down a washboard. The car was shaking so bad I had to get off the road. This time a warning came up on the screen that read "Drivetrain malfunction: Drive moderatly. Maximum drivetrain output not available. Consult service center." When I turned the car off and immediately restarted it, the problem was gone. Once again my wife took her car to the dealership. Since the car was now out of warranty they charged by wife $150.00 for a computer diagnosis which (according to them)revealed a "coil problem on cyl#8". They said they replaced the coil on cyl #8 and charged my wife $523.00 for the repairs.

Last weekend we were driving on interstate 10 with the cruise set at 79mph when all of a sudden the car began to vibrate violently, forcing me to immediately pull off the highway and once again we got the warning "Drivetrain malfunction: Drive moderatly. Maximum drivetrain output not available. Consult service center." When I restarted the car the problem appeared to be gone. But now I noticed that when going up an incline the car had a slight vibration that would increase or decrease with acceleration.

Once again my wife took her car to the dealership and explained the problem. Again they did a computer diagnosis of the problem. This time they said the problem was caused by cylinders #3 and #6 misfiring and suggested that she replace ALL the sparkplugs and ALL of the coils. The quote they gave her for these "repairs" was in excess of $1,200.00. By searching this web site I have learned; 1.) This problem is inherent with 6 series BMW's. 2.) BMW is aware of the problem. 3.) BMW does not know how to fix the problem. 4.) After spending over $2,000 to fix the problem, it's still there.
Appreciate 0