chask
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by C5driver View Post
Blendmount and mirrortap

This is great. Thanks for the help. I am not sure I want to block my vision to the center and right. I am tall and sit up pretty high in the car. However, that sure makes for a really clean installation. The mirrortap looks like a must and I might get one of the blendmounts just to check it out. I guess though that it would probably not be too hard to mock it up without going to that expense. It's a shame they don't make a similar piece that puts it up above the mirror.

I also am wondering about the placement this gives the detector. I have read that BMW and other makers are using tints or something in their windshields that affect the transmission of some light/electronic signals and can affect the performance of radar detectors. This is mentioned on the K-40 site. And I think BMW even says something about mounting certain items in just a few areas. In fact I kind of wonder about it from the rear too with a V1, especially with the way a lot of you guys tint your windows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by troymi View Post
evanevery,
That is a great write up and very similar to what I intend to do when my V1 arrives. I hadn't considered the tape on the suction cups. I'll see how it works without first.

Regarding the OBD port (Valentine calls it Savvy), I have been told that the next BMW software update for 2015 will make a problem for us. If anything "non-BMW" is plugged into the OBD port the alarm will sound when you lock the door (I think that was it). I am still planning to go this route and will have to wait until the software update is due later this year I'm sure.

Glad to hear your success. I'm liking your idea of the concealed display option when the iPhone app isn't open. The other "negative" I have heard is that the iPhone app closes if you get a phone call or text and you have to go re-open it for functionality. Can you confirm this?
First off, I do not have a V1 and have never used one - so take all of this as speculation. I have had this problem with other apps on my iPhone (boy I hate them too) as well as on my car (both incoming and outgoing calls switch focus to the phone on the display, even though I might be in the middle of something - like the back up camera) but most of the time the last app gets back in control once the phone has finished. Doesn't do you much good if the radar paints your car while you are on the phone and relying on the app to tell you what's going on. I have no idea which would take priority but I have a feeling I don't want to find out the hard way. I do have some people who I think would help me test this though. But as yet I do not have a V1 and have never used one - so take all of this as speculation.

I have not had a radar detector in years. I usually don't drive that fast (not that fast), but lately my wife has told me (twice now) it seems like I am driving faster than I used to - Hmmm?? You don't think it might have anything to do with the M6? Seeing this thread and remembering her comment has definitely got me thinking. So I've got to ask a couple of questions. But rather than hijacking this thread I think I'll probably start a new one, that is unless I can find the answers somewhere else here on 6Post. Mostly I am concerned about how well the V1 works (some of you all seem pretty convinced about the V1), and how compatible the SAVVY is with a BMS and possible future incompatibility with the OBDII port.
Appreciate 0