04-14-2015, 09:16 PM   #15
CalifBrit
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 M6 MT Gran Coupe, Comp pkg

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanevery View Post
It is very easy to hardwire the Valentine on virtually ANY BMW. I've done this on both my 2013 M6 and my 2013 X6M. You don't even need to open up anything...

1. I have both my V1's attached to the windscreen just below the roofline and immediately to the right of the mirror. I used the standard suction cup mount except that I used 3M double sided tape cut to fit the outline of each suction cup. The V1 is attached firmly to the glass by using this method. The V1 can also be removed from the mount and the mount can even be removed from the windscreen when you're ready to sell the car (remove tape residue with a glass scraper).

2. The major trick here (in NOT having to hardwire the V1), is to use the ODB power adapter available from Valentine. This basically powers the V1 directly from the ODB port. It also has a nice side feature that you can configure the adapter to disable audio warnings below a specific speed (i.e. No alarms if you are travelling below 35 mph - or sitting at a light).

3. Then, you need a long telephone cable to connect the ODB adapter to the V1. These are cheap. Start at your V1 and tuck the wiring into your headliner all the way over to the drivers A-Pillar. Then tuck it behind the A-Pillar trim all the way down to the door and behind the dashboard trim at the door jamb. This is really easy and doesn't require any disassembly or tools. Then just hook it into your OBD adapter. Wrap up any excess cable and tuck it behind your dashboard.

...No tools, no hardwiring, easily removable, professional install!

For "Extra Credit", you can also get the Valentine remote display unit, and/or the bluetooth adapter and install either one of these down low on your dash (again with the 3M tape). This will keep your V1 dark so no one can see it lit up from the outside of your car. The V1 still sounds audio alerts, but now the directional displays and lights will be low on your dashboard so you won't get parasitic drivers running up your butt (or John Law looking for a telltale Radar display on your windscreen. The remote and bluetooth units will both work with the ODB adapter as well. The ODB adapter makes it very easy to locate these items low on your dashboard but still well within the drivers eyesight. The Bluetooth adapter allows you to send V1 info directly to your smartphone for a much more informative display. You can't use the V1 remote display and the Bluetooth adapter at the same time though. I have them both bonded together as one small unit (again with the 3m tape) so I can simply move the data cable back and forth between them. I leave the remote display in use around town but typically switch to the bluetooth unit (and my android phone) for longer trips.

You can find out more about the ODB adapter, Remote Display, and Bluetooth Adapter at the Valentine web site...
This is exactly what I've done. Works a treat.
Appreciate 0