06-22-2010, 08:33 AM   #52
SlammedR8
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i/2020 R8 V10 Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empowered View Post
For all those who think that this is an M6... from Autocar magazine UK...

These are the first spy pictures (same as pictures featured at the beginning of this thread) of the new range-topping BMW 6-series – but the car is unlikely to take the M6 badge this time around.

Instead, the range-topper for the next-generation 6-series will be the 650i model, pictured testing here.

See the latest BMW 6-series spy pics

Despite the M6-style quad exhausts, the car sports little other M6-design cues. The rest of the rear end is reminiscent of the standard 6-series range, while the tyres don’t appear to be as low profile as the current M6’s.
I don't think you could be any more wrong about this not being an M6. No offense, but thats a pretty dumb thought seeing as BMW wouldn't put the quad exhaust or cross drilled brakes on a 650? and as Scott points out below, the 650 has already been shown with the rectangular (trapezoid) exhaust tips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
My post about this on GCF.

Reading some of the media today where one says it is not the M6 but the 650i? I will Point out incase they are reading.
First of all the 650i has already been spotted using the trapezoid exhaust ports on each side of the rear valence.

BMW and M cars test in phases , a single prototype whether a BMW or an M car is not two cars the same , prototypes are utilised by every department and depends on what car is scooped it will be focusing on the development aspects of that department.
Specifics such as fit and finish are not needed , aerodynamics will be tested additionally. That is why there is no M styling packet as yet and is using the conventional 6er aerodynamics.
Eventually once targets have been met, multiple prototypes become one at the FEP stages.

In would also like to point out. Why does BMW need to have an exact interpretation of the Audi R8? Can BMW not do it differently without journalists pointing out that it has to be a word for word , power for power facsimile?
With the E60 M5 and the E63 M6 , BMW felt that customers reckoned the two cars were to close for comfort.
Now there is an ongoing effort to distance the new M6 (F12/F13) from the new M5 (F10)in terms of dynamics and composure.

BMW can do an R8 rival in terms of Power and dynamics , it is more refreshing to see them do something that showcases BMW's originality and engineering prowness but is in noways a direct facsimile.

Official launch for the new M6 will be @ Geneva 2012, alongside the new 3er Sedan , exactly at Geneva 2005 where the E90 and E63 M6 first made their debut.

The new 6er and X3 begins a trend for more sharper lines in specific design details , elements such as more broad sculpture , sharper angles around the twin-kidney grille outline and angular headlights which will also be carried over to the new 3er Sedan.
Thanks again for the great info. If the new M6 will appear @ Geneva 2012 - when can we expect to see this car in showrooms across North America?
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Spyder 6MT - Ascari Blue/Black
Appreciate 0