Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superspeed View Post
Engine and performance
This is a 640i. It’s a 3-litre 320 hp single turbo twin scroll engine (or “Twin Power” as BMW calls it). It has a nice torque according to the spec (450 NM from 1300 rpm), but in the lower range I miss some force. In the higher range however it is plenty of power, and the engine revs very smooth and willingly until it shifts at 7000 rpm. On the higher revs you get the engine sound you want to hear, it turns from very cultivated to quite race like. The sound level could be higher though, but hey, this suits a BMW. No vibrations and the engine cries for more. Acceleration is as you would expect and no reason to doubt the manufactures figure of 5,7 from 0-100 kmh. Overtaking other cars is doesn’t stress you at all.

Handling
This is not a true sports car, but it is a great GT car. Driving in Sport mode makes the car shrink and tighten close to your body and to the ground. It is impressive how the large car can be thrown around tight turns and gives you a nice feedback on what the wheels are doing. I strongly recommend to go for all the options on chassis and steering. Normally I am driving in “Normal”, which is a good compromise of sport and comfort. “Comfort” is nice when driving on straight roads but too soft through sharp turns and hasty manoeuvres. I am 80% in Normal and 20% in Sport. Sport+ cuts off the electronic aids, and will be nice testing during winter.
I've had three separate extended test drives of the 640i, totalling about 800 miles and completely agree with all your comments, especially with regard to the engine not being at its best until you reach higher RPM figures. This is why I've decided to go for the 640d, which has the same engine as my F10 535d. Granted, it lacks that glorious high revving sound, but performance figures are almost identical and 7.2 lt/100km (39mpg) averaged over 11k miles is hard to argue with from an economical standpoint.
With regard to the handling, as per the F10, I think it's a shame that BMW have chosen to adopt electric steering as, what would appear to be, standard policy on all but M cars because I and many others feel that the handling has suffered as a result. However, the F12 is significantly better than the F10 which, incidentally has been fitted with the F12's rack since March 2011.
As you say, it's not a sports car, but a true grand tourer and I think that's exactly what BMW had in mind at the design outset - can't wait to get mine next spring.
As to your options - am I correct in assuming that you have adaptive drive with VDC? Additionally, do you have integral active steering? I really like the AD/VDC system, but haven't driven a car with active steering.
Appreciate 0