View Single Post
      12-12-2012, 05:52 PM   #50
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

Front: CLS63
The CLS's combination of unique LED DRLs and more aggressive front fascia beat out the doughy face of the M6 and its unusually molded front lips. I like the M6's DRLs but those ugly piped eyebrows just ruin the rest of the cluster.

Profile: M6 GC
There's no doubt about it, the M6 has the Benz beat in every detail from the side. The proportions are better, the roofline is sleeker, the glasshouse is just plain better, and the character lines are more homogeneous and muscular. Those wheels are impressive, too.

Rear: CLS63
This was tough. On one hand, I dislike the CLS's taillights. I don't hate them, nor do I think they look like glowing ladybits (so says the majority of forum goers), but they're oddly generic and lacking in angularity relative to the car's unique and polarizing sheetmetal. They're also a bit too large. To top things off, the rear bumper isn't anything new; typical AMG fare. That's not necessarily a bad thing.

The thing is, the M6's rear is just shitty. The rear apron is shitty. The tailpipes are shitty. And with the optional spoiler, even the trunklid is shitty. However, the taillights look good, even with the odd-for-an-M reflectors beneath them.

Interior: Tie
The M6 has an organic, cosseting feel. It looks warm and inviting. There are plenty of details that raise BMWs up a much needed tier in the higher end of the luxury spectrum. To top it off, the driver-oriented design is very resolved and neatly integrated. This is an artsy interior for sure.

However, the CLS's interior is no slouch. It's more boss-executive than suave and soft. The materials are expensive and the build quality is bank vault worthy. The tiny details, like the custom embroidered shifter and uniquely patterned trim bezels also show how meticulously adorned the cabin is.

I think it comes down to different strokes for different folks.

Overall: M6 GC
The M6 takes the overall victory simply because it's more homogeneous and tied together as a whole, plus it has a unique look in the M lineup (barring the obvious comparison to the F12). The CLS has presence in spades, thanks to its pushed-to-the-edges front graphics, impressive LED array, and heavily sculpted body, but the AMG treatment is very much a copy/paste job.

I think both designs are impressive in their own way.
Appreciate 0