View Single Post
      12-19-2012, 03:34 PM   #14
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: iXM60, i8 Rdstr, M4, i7 M70

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASF13 View Post
...when I asked the master-tech if they were unleashing any more power, he said that whole "break in restriction" is a myth.
Although I can certainly appreciate the effect of "wishful thinking", I do believe there might be more to the break-in "reset" than just just changing the fluids and resetting the mileage counter. I brought my M6 (White Convertible with Navarro Brown Interior) in about a month ago for the 1200 mile break-in service and here is what I noted:

1. The car definitely did "feel" more responsive and with more power after the service. Sure, this could have been a result of being more relaxed with service completed (and wishful thinking), but I can not discount my impression.

2. (More Importantly) When the vehicle was returned to me (post service), the service indicator stated "1200 Miles" to next service. (it had previously expired at 1245 miles). I pointed this out and they took the car back into the service area. About 30 minutes later I had the car back properly indicating 15000 miles to next service. Apparently, although the tech did reset the service mileage in the first attempt, it was not reset "properly". This seems to indicate that there are different methods to reset the initial service interval. One resulting in a 1200 mile interval, the other in the full 15K interval. So what else is different with these methods? Perhaps, its a little more involved to do an initial reset properly. That might also explain why it took about 30 minutes to get it done. It should be noted that it was the actual tech who was doing the work who took the car back. So it was not back there waiting for someone to do the work. Maybe they had to do some research, but it certainly looked like something more than just resetting the mileage counter was involved...

Just an observation for whatever it might be worth...

ALSO - You need to get some Gloss Black wheels on that White Convertible! IMHO: The alloy wheels get lost in the lack of contrast with a white car. I had my 20 inch 343 M wheels sent out by BMW to get re-coated in high gloss black. They look really sharp on the white convertible with a black top and tinted windows (35%). I'm in the process of installing blacked out front grilles, blacked out side vents, a black trunk M6 badge, and Alpine White painted front side reflectors (all from IND). We are also doing an Eisenmann Exhaust system (Gloss Black powder coated tips) and IND is going to recoat those pesky chrome strips on the door handles Alpine White. (All chrome must go!) Yes - Photos will follow as soon as its all done!
Appreciate 0