04-03-2012, 09:07 PM   #19
TopDownInFL
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 650 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterg1965 View Post
The 6 cylinder diesel engine suits the 6er perfectly, to be honest you wouldn't know it was a diesel unit if you hear the engine accelerate. It's a 313bhp, 640nm torque, 154 gm/km emissions (that is a very low figure!) and 'officially' returns 51 mpg (uk gallons). They are outstanding figures in my eyes. The Eco setting, sets the climate control, engine stop/start functions, gearbox settings to give the optimal/minimal figures for diesel consumption and environmental impact. The 640d will be BMWs top 6Series seller in the UK by a huge margin over the petrol equivalents.

Is the diesel engine not set to be introduced to North America?

Just been out in it again ( why wouldn't I?). It is incredibly smooth through the gears and I still cannot get over how good it is over the bumps and lumps in the awful UK roads, even with big alloys. I haven't really experimented the range of settings, and clearly the suspension will stiffen up (maybe) with the more more sportier modes, but for everyday driving the 'comfort' set up is brilliant. So far it is reading over 40mpg after only 65 miles, so am I obviously not trying hard enough all that info from the trip computer is on my iPhone when away from the car, courtesy of the BMW Connected function via BMW Apps.

Had my son and the daughter (20 and 19) in the back for a short journey, it's certainly quite tight back there for anyone bigger than average. Suspect it would be fine for short hops, although as this is primarily a car for me, the vast majority of time there will be just me in it.

Other small things, the wing mirrors fold on the key, they never did with my 335d, so a small improvement there. Getting used to the stop/start function, a little disconcerting at traffic lights but I can turn it off.
Thanks for the write-up. No idea on whether a diesel is due in NA, but the engine intrigues me.
Appreciate 0