cjackson1906
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 Alpina B6 GC & 2019 M5C

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wzj519 View Post
Yo Man, I saw you had m5 before and you are driving the 650GC now. Can you compare both cars in some ways. Are the two cars comparable?
I'm driving the 650 2-door coupe now and traded in the F10 M5. Not sure if you want my thoughts on those two, but here you go.

Aesthetics/Intangibles
- The seats on the M5 are more comfortable
- Like everyone else, I miss the automatic trunk on the M5
- More refined interior on the 650
- I'm tall and the M5 felt roomier to me
- Bigger middle storage compartment on the 650, but M5 has two compartments (one in the middle and one on the left side of the steering wheel)
- The big sunroof in the 650 almost makes me forget that it can't open like the sunroof in the M5.
- I get way more compliments from women (hell, and some guys too) in the 650 than I did in the M5. All women say the 650 is "sexy" as hell. There's some truth to the saying that unless you're into cars, most people (especially women) can't tell the difference b/w a regular 5 series and a M5. People notice the 6 series...

Tangibles
- Despite being RWD, the M5 does not hesitate off the line even in the softest settings.
- The DCT is superior IMHO to the ZF in terms of feel, but the ZF is pretty smooth. The DCT has a manual persona but can shift gears faster than any human could and it does it effortlessly.
- There is a noticeable difference in the exhaust note of the M5 compared to the 650. However, I will say that exhaust note of the 650 surprised me.
- The technology and Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires on the M5 make you feel like you can conquer any curve at damn near any speed. Even though the 650 sits lower, the M5 feels like it's lower to the ground when pushed hard and grips the road. Again, the 650 isn't bad, but you can tell there are other components, technology and tuning at work with the M5.
- The M5 can be tame at times, but it felt like it was always ready for a street fight if you know what I mean. Even when I put the 650 in Sport +, it's still nowhere near the M5 in terms of twitching/immediate torque response like the M5.
- Steering is definitely tighter in the M5, but I had a 2013 and some people complained that there wasn't enough feedback in the steering. The steering issues were supposedly corrected for the M5 in MY 2014, but I personally never had an issue with the steering in 2013 M5. The 650 steering is noticeably looser in comfort mode compared to comfort in the M5.
- The ability to configure the steering, throttle and suspension in the M5 to whatever setting I liked was a big plus. I usually keep the 650 in sport mode at all times b/c I miss that feel of the M5 even though sport in the 650 is like comfort across the board (steering, throttle and suspension) in the M5.

I do miss the M5, but it's just not practical in the DC area with all of the congestion, winter, uncivilized police and lack of open roads. Not to mention, I wasn't feeling the idea of getting a winter wheel/tire pkg and changing it out every 6 months. I live in a high-rise bldg w/no storage, so finding a place to store wheels and tires for 6 months seemed like a waste of money to me. The Alpina B6 GC seems like the best of both worlds to me except the lack of the DCT, but that isn't that big of a loss based on driving in a major metropolitan area 90% of the time. Also, you get a sunroof (as compared to the M6 GC) and AWD on the B6. Now, in order for me to get this B6 I'm gonna have to get Oprah or Tiger's ex-wife pregnant...