Zack G.
Extraordinaire
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 650i MSport CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M3THOD View Post
Thanks for the compliment.

The backpressure comment was one, the Megan not fitting the Msport/M6 diffuser was another.

You could always paint the diffuser AW like the standard M6 diffuser and then go with the gloss black tips. Either way its your choice.

I think the Megan tips are long enough to run the M6 diffuser. IMO is looks way more aggressive and unique compared to the standard M sport.

There is someone else on these boards who has made this conversion, also with a AW car and you do not notice the tips as you do in your scenario.

http://www.6post.com/forums/showthre...ht=M6+diffuser
Yeah I've seen that thread, but that is a 640i, which has a single outlet on the muffler. I also prefer a black diffuser, but the body colored ones are nice as well, I just prefer the contrast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M3THOD View Post
Comment was regarding the tips. Yes, of course running a 3" exhaust, or anything larger than 2.5" into a reducer and a muffler inlet is not optimal.

I would never decrease any diameter in the system.

I do not believe the muffler outlets on the 650 are not 3", they are smaller than that. Your taking a 3" inlet and splitting it into 2 outlets., one of which is often closed. It would drone all day to have dual 3" outlets with a single 3" inlet.
I don't think they used a reducer to get these tips on. Maybe the specs from Magnaflow aren't correct? The Magnaflow inlet tips look like like they are bigger than the inlet tips of the OEM exhaust so they were put on OVER the inlets as you can see in the pics I posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downfourit View Post
The OEM muffler inlet is 3" and then each outlet is 2.25 of which like you said one is closed with the flapper until you get on it. I run 3" inlet tips to dual 3.5" outs, there is not much drone because there are still cats and 2 resonators on the OEM piping. I was just telling the OP that dropping to 2.5" inlets at the end of the exhaust is just not the greatest thing for turbo cars as the least amount of back pressure and/or heat is ideal. Adding both just hurts performance and reliability, no matter how small, on a car this expensive it's worth doing it the right way. When that flapper opens up on full throttle you have the equivalent of 4.5" of outlet between the 2 exits on the stock muffler, dropping down to 2.5" piping for the tips it will always be down to 2.5" so essentially making a small bottleneck at the end of the exhaust, and lets just say something happens to one of the turbos and it's not the fault of the exhaust or the bottleneck, the dealership will still point at it and have a valid argument for you to front the bill..
You got me all worried now even though I think the inlet on these Magnaflow tips is large than the inlet on the OEM muffler so I don't see how it can cause any issues of backpressure. I am looking into the Megan setup now.

I found a few vids on YouTube, one where the camera is right by the tips:
I LOVE the sound of this. Sounds mean with a nice deep tone.

And also another video shot from the back side rear that looks like it has black tips but it doesn't sound as aggressive

Anyone know the differences?

I also spoke with Megan and they said that if the exhaust is powder coated black then it will lose its 1 year warranty. So as much as I would love gloss black tips, I don't want to void the warranty incase anything starts rattling

Last edited by Zack G.; 10-14-2014 at 11:09 AM..
Appreciate 0