10-09-2014, 11:52 AM   #27
Downfourit
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: M6 Gran Coupe`

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zack G. View Post
Do the 2.5" tips really make that big of a difference? We are talking about 0.5" difference here.

I really don't want to cause any issues especially to the turbos, but it doesn't seem like 0.5" would, but I don't know nearly enough on this subject like some of you do.

To be quite honest, when I came to pickup my car...I was really dissatisfied with how the setup looked. But my one stop shop stressed that it was the best fit since the EVC was kept. This is the first time that I have been dissatisfied with my one stop shop that has done everything else on the car. They aren't the ones who actually did this job, they brought it to a muffler shop because they don't do any welding or exhaust work on site so they outsource.

When I came to pickup my car, I also noticed that they didn't put my stock tips in the box with my stock diffuser. I asked them where the tips were and they said, "Oh they aren't in there?". I said no...so I had to go back to the muffler shop that they took my car to, to get my tips back which was kind of annoying. But I think it turned out well since I spoke to the welder and he told me that his shop was the 2nd shop that my shop toook the car to because the 1st muffler place my shop took the car to didn't want to do it (my shop must have told him that), so he told me candidly. My shop didn't mention that to me. Idk if they should have or not? But I guess it doesn't matter.

He told me that it was very hard to do the setup since it was a tight fit in there to get the OEM tips off and that it would be a royal PITA to get them back on. He said he charges 1 1/2 hrs of labor. My shop charged me for 2 hrs but I guess they needed to make a small profit on that.

Do I regret doing this setup? I think so. I thought it was a good idea at the time to get that Quad exhaust look without changing the mufflers. It looked great on ONEighty's black 650 GC here so I thought I would give it a try as well: http://www.6post.com/forums/showthre...t%3B+magnaflow

But then I think about...is my shop and the muffler shop they brought my car to really to blame? They didn't supply those tips...I did.

My dilemma now is, do I go back to my shop for them to put it back to stock (diffuser and tips), or do I go back to the muffler shop direct and have him weld back the OEM tips so I don't have to go back to my shop to pay them extra to get the same job done? And then I could go to another shop to get my diffuser put back on?

Hopefully you guys can help me figure this out with pointing me to the right tips or how to go about going back to stock. Getting a full exhaust wasn't and isn't an option right now. I don't need better sound, the MSport mufflers are good enough. I know this is a 100k car so $2,500 may not seem like a big amount for an exhaust but I honestly just don't want to spend that money for it. I'm not cheap, I just don't think I need/want an aftermarket exhaust with added noise and drone. For me its not necessary honestly.

This really turned out to be more of a pain instead of enjoyment.
That really sucks Zack.. I feel your pain as I have had more than my share of disappointments from performance shops. A good one really is hard to find. In this business loyalty and all that BS don't matter, all that matters is you, your car, and your money! Go straight to the muffler shop and avoid the extra 1/2 hour charge. They did charge that I'm sure because they took the car there and back. Although i hear what you're saying about the tips you supplied it's the muffler shops name on the work, they should have more pride in what they do and if that was my muffler shop I would have put the stocks back on after test fitting the new tips, they don't weld them in until they align them and hold them in place so they knew how it looked before they welded. Anyway I hope you find a solution or just go back to stock. Either way enjoy that awesome car!
Appreciate 0