01-16-2013, 09:28 AM   #24
ctenidae
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 650i Coupe- Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by neversummer78 View Post

In Sport mode, the car can really dance at freeway speed, but that's probably why my MPG is so bad and burn a lot of engine oil.
I don't think Sport mode does anythign that would cause a change in MPG or oil burnage, in and of itself. Sport firms up the suspension a bit, which won't do it, and changes the throttle mapping, which wouldn't do it. The throttle mapping just changes the response to the gas pedal- in Comfort mode you have to push it further than in Sport mode to get the same response.

In the automatic, I suppose Sport mode probably holds gears longer, which could make a difference, but cruising in either mode wouldn't, I'd think, be any different from an MPG or oil perspective, and even hammering it the difference would be on the margins, at the top of gears.

In the 6-speed, Comfort mode engages a rev matching feature which is fun for downshifts, though pointless, and is really really annoying in town or around speed bumps. If I'm coasting with the clutch in in, say, 2nd gear, it holds revs up high, which is just stupid sounding. A downshift heading into a turn also won't provide the deceleration I want, since the revs match to the wheel speed, and it takes longer for the engine braking to be effective.

Short story, I hate Comfort mode. I find it useless at best, and annoying at worst.
Appreciate 0