05-19-2015, 09:35 AM   #3
chask
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leveraged Sellout View Post
Very cool, thanks for the pics! Have never actually bothered to look at the DCT clutch packs before, very interesting to see this. Heard DCT-type clutches once described as "motorcycle-like" and that's exactly as it seems...just bigger.

+1 - What he said.

I knew the drivetrain would have to be one of the weak links when upgrading performance on the M's. They already have so much power it's amazing to me that they hold up at all, let alone once you guys doing mods get after the motors. Being an electronic guy and barely understanding engines, I would not know a good transmission and a good clutch setup if it hit me over the head, but I know it is essential to a good running, high power output car. I've heard and read rumors of people working on stuff like this. It is great to finally see something from someone who has actually done it.

Did Kris give you any idea how much power he thought this setup could handle? I am thinking maybe some of his other customers had given him some feedback.

What have you done to get that kind of power out of yours?

So many people do all this great stuff that works really well but it takes some time in service to know how well it really is working. So many of these things sneak up on you - no idea what is going on until something bad happens. Of course, other times there isn't anything to worry about. A lot of it can be your driving style too. From my experience (mostly what some real pros told me when I used to do this stuff) avoid doing anything that causes wheel chatter or wheel hop, or at least do not let the car do very much of that. If it happens, fix what is causing it or do things to minimize that. The drivetrain will last a lot longer.

Thanks so very much for posting this, plus all the pictures . That really helps with understanding these things too. And please keep us updated as you run this. Obviously the stock setup was slipping. I'm wondering if you will see any measurable improvement now that it isn't doing that anymore.
Appreciate 0